PDA

View Full Version : soldering tempature

Svangsta
11-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Just a little quistion about soldering of colourd led's. What is the best tempature to solder with? I know it's a max of 15 watt..
But not the tempature...

Greetings Svangsta

Nanda
12-12-2002, 02:12 AM
Svangsta,

max soldering temperature is 270 ºC accoring to the Nokia 3310 Service Manual.

I have attached the relevant section of that manual containing component handling info.

Hope this helps,

phonedudes
12-12-2002, 07:33 AM
Interesting excert from the manual 'Nanda' .. We shouldnt be surprised that the U.S. Svc manuals and FSB's NEVER provide as detailed information about things as the UK/Euro counterparts.

Just one other thing to point out 'svangsta' TIME is the MOST critical...

Depending on the manufacturer of the led most are pretty tolerable. (the better the quality the more abuse they can take)

Svangsta
12-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info.. I just want to learn to solder the led's. I need a lot of pratice, thats for sure.. But just wanted some info about it...
Thanx......

Greetz Svangsta

Nanda
12-12-2002, 06:26 PM
I've recently tried to change the LEDs in a 3310 and a 5120, here's what I've learned:

1 - Keep in mind that these components were fitted there without any intention of ever having to be removed. Nokia uses a modular concept when designing its phones, so you usually change whole 'modules' (such as the LCD assembly) rather than individual components.

Nokia assumed most people would just buy a new phone if they ever had a problem with theirs and so access to components is difficult to say the least. You actually have to remove a part of the RF protection frame to access LEDs in a 3310 for instance.

2 - Removing the LEDs can be difficult because the PCB is usually still cold and the original solder is harder to melt than subsequent soldering jobs.

3 - We tried it with a manual hot air gun. That's actually more difficult than using a soldering iron, especially with the smaller (0603-sized) 5120 LEDs, as the hot air tends to blow them away from the solder spots, even at the recommended air speed (which is the lowest most hot air stations can handle anyway).

4 - Very important if you're using a soldering iron: avoid touching the components directly. Always check if there's any electricity escaping through the soldering iron, usually there is and it'll ruin your phone. Phones are very stactic-sensitive!

5 - In any case, soldering SMDs is VERY fidgety work and requires a lot of patience. After a while working with the Nokias my friend (who works in a notebook maintenance shop) was swering at the little components and let me have a try.

I thought it'd be easier for a woman but I was hopeless. Conclusion: you HAVE TO know what you're doing, if possible practice with a damaged phone or PCB first until you feel safe to replace your LEDs yourself.

In the end, the new LEDs worked in the 3310 but not in the 5120 (our guess is that we burned one the 5120 display LEDs, only the keypad LEDs lit up). And I don't think I'll ever try it again, it's just such hard work!

But I still encourage people to try it, maybe your impressions will be different!

Hope this helps (and sorry for yet another VERY long post!)

slikmik
12-12-2002, 08:16 PM
cheers for that nanda :)

well heres my experience, i had an 8210 and i bought some hyper blues for the screen and orange for the keypad and gave em a whirl

i bought for about ten pounds a cheapo soldering iron and just had a pair of tweazers from me mums makeup (dont tell her! lol) and got to work, best way i found for getting the led's off was to leave the iron just resting on each side and slowly swipe across each side and it crumbled away in no time

fitting was quite easily done as once in place a second or two heating the side of the led is all thats needed and it fits securely in place and wow it all worked

i'd not really had any experience so i advise yall to give it a shot

Mike :D

WildSwan
13-12-2002, 02:13 AM
But this doesn't discourage me. Too bad you are giving up when you haven't tried the 62 and 63 series. They are much worst that 33xx.

It's more challenging to me as I don't have access to hot-air soldering system. I just use two 20Watts, sharp tiped soldering iron to desolder the LED.

So far I am still doing it... and I think I will still love doing it. :)

I think I have the gift of patience.

Svangsta
13-12-2002, 09:45 AM
I'll try to learn it, just need a lot of patience then.. Think that would be a problem....

Greetings Svangsta