PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 8260 Unlocking Questions

nzcell
12-12-2002, 06:32 AM
I have just started to look into tdma unlocking. It look a bit more involved than gsm unlocking and I have the following questions:

1) Are there any 8260 (ie: latest) firmware versions that cannot be unlocked?

2) What is the easiest program to use and where do I find it?

3) Are the 8210 and 8260 data cables different? If they are different, is it possible to modify the 8210 cable so it works as a 8260 data cable?

Thanks in advance.

phonedudes
12-12-2002, 06:45 AM
The term unlocking as it applies in 'GSM' is not as straight forward in TDMA.

If your looking for a 1 button or mouse click solution, it does NOT exist.
Each carrier 'locks' different areas or sets certain settings. Zeroing out the tables is NOT the correct way to do it. Since Not every carrier sends out OTA tables nor will the phone always except it.

ANything is possible but if you look at a 8260 you would see that the pinouts are in a totally different location.

nzcell
12-12-2002, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I understand it is a bit more complicated than GSM.

The phone I am interested in buying is on ebay and it states:
"This phone is locked into AT&T and SunCom wireless services. You can go to an AT&T store to get it activated. "

So what is the likelihood I will be able to remove the locks so that I can get it to work here in NZ. Obviously, I want to be sure I will be able to get it to work before I buy it.

phonedudes
12-12-2002, 07:21 AM
Well,

Are we right to guess 'NZ' being New Zealand? If that being the case are you familiar at all with the network?

I believe they use Ericsson switching equipment which leads us to believe they have analog as well as use 800mhz TDMA is that correct?

Typically the ATT cant vouch for the ATT/Suncom phones do not lock nam programming but they will have the SOC locked. Do they sell 8260's there?

kenneth
12-12-2002, 01:07 PM
1) Are there any 8260 (ie: latest) firmware versions that cannot be unlocked?

R.- NO

2) What is the easiest program to use and where do I find it?

R.- NOKIA TDMA SERVICE SOFTWARE

3) Are the 8210 and 8260 data cables different? If they are different, is it possible to modify the 8210 cable so it works as a 8260 data cable?

R.- YES, ARE DIFFERENT, AND IS POSSIBLE MODIFY THE DATACABLE BUT IS NOT THE BEST ANSWER. BUY THE CABLE

GOOD LUCK

shadowdancer
12-12-2002, 07:07 PM
I have same problem I can't unlock nokia 8260 v6.20, and 5125 v7.00 that's latest ver. what SW do you use to unlock and how.

P.S. I'm currently using nokiasoc2.:confused:

kenneth
12-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Increment the option: RESET CUSTOM and try again

GOOD LUCK

shadowdancer
12-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Thanks Kenneth I will try that and post my answer. Thanks again

nzcell
12-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Are we right to guess 'NZ' being New Zealand?
Yep thats correct.

If that being the case are you familiar at all with the network?
I believe they use Ericsson switching equipment which leads us to believe they have analog as well as use 800mhz TDMA is that correct?
Telecom uses the same system as in North America AMPS800 Analogue and TDMA digital. We also have a seperate GSM network.

Typically the ATT cant vouch for the ATT/Suncom phones do not lock nam programming but they will have the SOC locked. Do they sell 8260's there?
They used to sell 8260s here but don't anymore.

So if it is SOC locked it isn't very difficult to unlock it, but what are the implications if the nam programming is locked?

phonedudes
12-12-2002, 11:35 PM
All of the locks can be undone... Typically it is just a few bytes in the eeprom that need to be changed.
You can use NokSoc but BE CAREFUL and BACKUP your eeprom FIRST. We dont recommend clearing everything out or resetting all locks w/it

inee
21-12-2002, 09:11 PM
I kinda have the same problem. I used the software above, hit unlock to all and write lock button. Read the phone, said it was unlocked but when I read it with wintesla, the home soc field is still disabled and I cant change it to check if the phone is unlocked.

Now I try the #639-something key combination to program the phone number and it doesnt work! I think I wrecked the phone...

Any ideas?