PDA

View Full Version : FAID

||Joe
12-02-2002, 11:44 PM
Hi!

I'm quite a newbie in Nokia unlocking, but I find it very interresting!
But what is this FAID thing? Everybody is talking about it...

-Spear

Abe
13-02-2002, 02:13 AM
First of all,dont use nick Spear and talk about not knowing what is FAID because real SPEAR knows what is faid better that anyone here.....
so first change nick and then talk....
no offence....

Leandros
13-02-2002, 04:45 PM
quote: so first change nick and then talk....

hi my friend

I will tell you some things but not here at the forum, contact me via email and I will tell you what I know about it.

best regards,

Leandros

||Joe
13-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Oki, changed my nick now...
My nick did have nothing to do with beeing a Spear, it's just that I always used that nick from the beginning of when I started using internet. It comes from a musicgroup called Spearhead... Sorry folks! Zuexi --> better?

Yasser
13-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi Zuexi

How are you man? Your nick is fine and your previous nick was fine too. You see Spear is a nick of a very knowledgeable GSM person, who has contributed alot to many ppl and has many friends.

Abe was just trying to tease you by saying that Spear knows everything about FAID, and any newbie just makes his nick a little down. But, no worries because every master was once a newbie.....even SPEAR himself. /n/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Just learn and discuss your phone issues and make friends, You help other and others will help you. Learn from ppl like Abe (My teacher..heheh), Outercore(one of my best forum friends), O-Mast( the Italian Stallion), Iceang, Giaani and many many more.

Cheer up now, and ask your questions /n/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Take Care

BR

Yasser:))

Abe
13-02-2002, 09:13 PM
Thats ok......
I told you to change nick not because of you......
Some people get offended when using their nick because.........
Spear is a buisiness man in GSM world and maybe his new customer won't believe him in selling*/buying when they read your post,when u are telling that you dont know what is FAID....
2. Faid is Flash authority ID that has to be calculated and updated in eeprom when you change something in your nokia phone like MCU version or language pack.........
so when you update phone with this ID the phone gets into network......if u dont calculate FAID after changing something in nokia,the phone will work,but won't be able to log into network.....
thats all......thats why people are happy when dejna hex came out for free,because this hex is used to program a pic that can automatically update eeprom with new FAID after flashing it........

Gianni
13-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Hi Abe,
How are you?
Do you know how if i can program a PIC16f628 whit the same hex of pic16ce625?
many thanks
Br
Gianni.

Yasser
13-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Hi again Zuexi

Now that I have said what I had to say above, lets say a bit about FAID.

For now just think and remember, that FAID is like a 'security stamp' which needs to be calculated before one can use his/her upgraded phone.

To cut a long story short, lets say you want to upgrade a Nokia Phone 8210 from version 5.28 or earlier to say 5.29. We will do these following steps to do that.

Things you need are the dejan flasher cable and a m2bus cable.

1). Use the m2bus cable on a OM port and use B-phreaks logger version 1.7 to check the MCU and PPM version of your phone. You can download this from http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/. This is good to do as you know exactly the version on ur phone. MCU = Master Control Unit. this is main software that works your phone. PPM= Post programmable Memory. This contains the languages on th e phone. So, 8210 will have one MCU type and one PPM type. For example, when you check you phone on b-phreaks logger, it can show MCU = 5.28 and PPM= O
Different 8210 phones can have different PPM packages, like, A, B , C, etc etc.

2). Now, remeber to always backup the EEPROM area of newer phones like 8210. This is very important as this backup can save your phone if the flash is wrong or corrupted. Use the Dejan Flasher Cable on LPT.

3). You can backup the 8210 EEPROM area from its memory location 03D0000 to 0400000. You can do this by using Rolis Software version 4.77 or above. You can also use Dejan Software. I tend to use Rolis as its very user friendly and things dont usely go wrong.

4). Once the EEPROM backup is done, save it.

5). Now you are ready to flash the phone with the new version, that is. version 5.29 and lets say PPM B. Open Rolis Software and select phone type and then Write the phone with the FULL flash containing Version 5.29 and PPM type B. You can get these flashes from http://brad.satelit.cz/

6). Once the flash is done, you switch your phone ON but if you put ur SIM card init, you will not get any signal and it will reset every 20-30 secs. This is because FAID needs to be calculated. Faid is calculated just to let the phone know that it has been upgraded by an authorised Nokia person. FAID calculation can done by B-phreaks or Koci or ABE, but there is a small fee for these logs.

7). If you want to have you FAID calculated, you can read the phone by usuing m2bus lead and either KOCI logger 1.9 or B-Phreaks Logger 1.7. Then send them the logs and they will send you back a new log with FAID id calculated. This Calculation (i think) uses cypher type algorithms etc. Abe and Outercore or someone can tell you more about it.

8). Anyway, once you have got the log back from b-phreaks or koci or ABe, then write it to phone. Do this by using m2bus cable and the logger you used to read it. So if, you used KOCI logger to read the log, then use it to write it. This will update the phones EEPROM.

9). Finally, now the phone will work with your sim. If it doesn't, read the locks status in NokiaTool035. If you have Lock1 locked then use Rolis unlocker to unlock it. The phone will work and will have reception. VIOLA!!!

heheheh.....thats it....i hope i got everything right. If I made a a mistake ...correct me guys.. /n/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I hope this tutorial helps.

Take Care.

BR

Yasser.

PS....If you wanna know about COBBA and MSID etc.....you have to ask Abe, OuterCore, O-Mast etc. My area is hardware. /n/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

||Joe
14-02-2002, 07:47 AM
Hi Yasser,

How about if changing MCU or PPM using dejan 1.05? after flashing it said to turn on the phone and updating Eeprom, is it also call "calculate Faid"?

BR
Crz

Yasser
14-02-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi Cruiz!!

Yes, in 1.05, the phone needs to be switched on again and the faid is calculated and updated to EEPROM. you r rite.

Take Care

BR

Yasser