PDA

View Full Version : Flashing with XP?

cypher1024
25-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Ok, I know this should probably be in the newbies section but...

HELP!

I recently moved from the Philippines to Australia, but just before I left, I bought a 'flasher kit' thinking that I could make a little bit of money upgrading 3310's here. I got a dejan box, and nk box (??), a flasher cable (fbus?) and a data cable (mbus) and 5 connecting cables for assorted phones. The problem is that no matter what I try, I can't get any program to read or write flash data.

I'm pretty sure the flasher cable is fine (I know the 3310 attachment is good because it worked with the mbus cable to upload logos) and I've tried another switchable m/f bus cable with the dejan box (and the nk box), but no matter what I do, nothing will recognise my phone.

I've tried several versions of rollis and they all give me a "Press power on shortly" or similar message.

Knok(95) gives me this error message:
FLS1_ConfigurateBootstrapDCT3 : checksum is 4A8B
FLE5_DirectInitialiseBootstrapDCT3 : Press power on (if needed)
Cannot prepare phone

The problem is it gives me about 1/2 a second between asking me to power on the phone and telling me it can't initialize it.

What's going on? Could it be a faulty LPT port? (I'm going to check this as soon as I can get my hands on a printer). Could it be Windows XP? (I've tried compatability modes for both Win 95 and 98).

FYI, my comp is a PIII 667 with 448MB of SD ram running at 100mHz (I think). I'm not sure what else I can tell you except that the guy that sold it to me said that he tested it before he gave it to me...

Thanks in advance,
-Cypher1024

kudzu
25-12-2002, 03:23 PM
i use userport with xp and rolis flasher

it's because xp doesn't let the programs direct to to lpt
only throught drivers
when you use userport you won't have this problem

http://nokiafree.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=47198

WildSwan
25-12-2002, 04:02 PM
. . . you use useroprt, Rolis wil lnot run. Simply because Rolis doesn't run in Windows NT Family. And XP is an NT too!!!

So, you will need to set its (Rolis) compatibility to Windows 98/95. Still you won't be able to run it 100% at all times. It will be erratic.

The best solution is to dual boot! Make another partition and install Windows 98 SE.

Originally posted by kudzu
i use userport with xp and rolis flasher

it's because xp doesn't let the programs direct to to lpt
only throught drivers
when you use userport you won't have this problem

http://nokiafree.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=47198

cyclo
25-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Also it seems lik userport doesn't work properly on all win xp versions. I haven't been able to get it to work on a laptop running winxp pro, but it works fine on both of my desktops running winxp pro....

kudzu
25-12-2002, 09:22 PM
@cyclo
on laptop it's not working because your laptop lpt port voltage is too low (i had the same problem), you must add external power supply or use dr.bizar combi flash cable (i use this now)

i'm using userport and rolis for flashing under win.xp on my laptop and on my home pc and it works

GeeZuZz
25-12-2002, 11:29 PM
On my computer Userport don't work either. It's because I/O adresses interferes with the LPT port. (i've tried changing all I/O adresses possible...)

I must dualboot two WinXP installations. One for flashing (without the drivers for my ATI Radeon 8500 card installed), and one i use normally.

anthony_bud
26-12-2002, 02:43 AM
Mine is working fine too. I'm using Rolis 478 with WinXP Pro for flashing. Just installed userport and there, 100% working!

Maybe it's a hardware, maybe it's your lpt port having problem.

:)

cypher1024
26-12-2002, 09:29 AM
Grr. It must be the software, the dejan box or the flasher cable... I just ruled out the LPT port....
I will update y'all after I try userport.

Peace!

cypher1024
26-12-2002, 09:46 AM
UserPort ROCKS! It allowed rollis to access the LPT port, the only problem is that now it can't recognise that a phone is connected. I get this error message: "Power OFF mobile first then connect (Or check cable : phone TX=low(0) expected but phone TX=high read)"

What does this all mean??

P.s. I think it may be something to do with my Dejan Box because when I connect my NK box (could someone tell me what I'm supposed to use this one for) I get the same error I got before I tried UserPort...

kudzu
26-12-2002, 01:55 PM
no offence, but did you powered your phone OFF first ?

to read or write flash to phone you the phone must be powered OFF

1. power off your phone
2. click read/write on rolis flasher
3. shortly press power ON on your phone (don't turn it ON, just press shortly)

cypher1024
27-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Hehe. Yeah. My phone was off.
Could it be anything else? I get the same message even when the phone is not connected, or when I try to use the LPT2 port (it doesn't exist).

sparkienl
28-12-2002, 12:38 AM
USERPORT is working in Windows XP
put both userport.sys and userport.exe in
Windows/system/drivers
run userport.exe start /update /exit and it is working fine on both my pc's
a laptop iii/1.2Ghz intel and
a Pc Amd 1.2Ghz
so don't worry userport is working with rollis flash tooll
Cu sparkienl;) ;) ;)

catweasel
28-12-2002, 12:55 AM
Hi cypher1024,

Around this forum there are threads on this subject with recommendations for lpt port settings, I can't remember where but a search should find the info you want.

I flash phones almost daily from a notebook with Windows XP without any major problems ( the biggest is voltage at lpt not well regulated ).

Rolis 4.77 & 4.78 b5/6 work best, 5.14 doesn't work as a flasher but some MBus tools work on it.

I wouldn't duel load win98 & xp as WildSwan suggested (no offence to WildSwan meant) because I am sure you can use the drive space it takes more productively.

Happy Flashing, regards.

cypher1024
28-12-2002, 02:46 AM
Lol.. Yeha, my kazaa folder is always expanding....
Do you think it could just be incorrect LPT port settings? The printer works fine...

I'll have a look at some other threads but any other suggestions/remedies/experiences/sexual favours would be gratly appreciated!

cypher1024
28-12-2002, 12:38 PM
I tried to find other threads with port settings for Xp, but I didn't have any luck. Can anyone point me to one/some?

Thanks!

cyclo
28-12-2002, 07:12 PM
As I said before there is something strange about UserPort. I have it working perfectly with my stationary pc running win-xp pro. All flashing and mbus/fbus apps work fine. But on a laptop I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I have all apps working except rollis flasher, wich I find quite strange.
It says press power on phone shortly and after that it just hangs.

cypher1024
29-12-2002, 04:07 AM
The problem with flashing with your laptop is that the voltage from the LPT port isn't high enough/stable. Something like that. All you have to do is use an external power supply, but where to hook it up to I couldn't tell you. There's a few threads on it though.

So... does anyone have any other suggestions? If you're flashing with xp, can you please tell me your specs, (home/pro, vid card, ram, processor etc). Thanks and any other suggestions of flashing progs would be great. I've tried KNOK 95 and rollis 4.77...

cyclo
30-12-2002, 04:17 PM
The power supply is not the trouble with the laptop I think. Knok 95 works perfectly, but rollish flasher however doesn't. I find this very strange because both of them work perfectly on my server using the same cable.

cypher1024
31-12-2002, 02:42 AM
That's weird. I'm now thinking about buying a new hard disk or just a cheap computer so that I can flash. Does anyone know what the minimum specs that are required for a flashing comp?

cyclo
03-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Well. I dunno. But my experience tells me that the more processor power you have the better, whilst memory isn't that important. In other words the faster the processor, the better. So you can get less memory and more processor speed.

cypher1024
03-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Hmm. My box is supposed to be running win 98 anyway.... I tried installing Redhat Linux 7.1 but I did a 'partionless install' and didn't have a floppy disk handy to make a boot disk, so now I just have a 2gb file on my c drive called redhat. hehe. Bugger it, I'm just gonna partition off some hdd space and install win 98se! Peace everyone. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how I get on!

cypher1024
03-01-2003, 03:31 PM
As it turns out, installing win 98 while keeping win xp is much more difficult than I thought. Can anyone give me a guide on how to dual boot my current installation of win xp with win 98se?

Thanks in advance,
cypher1024

cyclo
03-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Try searching www.xp-erience.org. I think I found a good tutorial there once :)

messsy
14-03-2004, 10:54 PM
ive dual booted my laptop this w.end
i wont ask 4 help as ive just started a new thread (ooops)

tangcla
15-03-2004, 07:20 AM
As it turns out, installing win 98 while keeping win xp is much more difficult than I thought. Can anyone give me a guide on how to dual boot my current installation of win xp with win 98se?
It's a LOT easier doing it the other way around (ie. installing 98 then installing XP, as XP will dual-boot by default and 98 will be greedy and want to single-boot).