PDA

View Full Version : Interesting IDEA????

Mehvishal
09-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Interesting IDEA???? Post #1 of 1

Hi, I was wondering if someone or together a modification can be added to NOKIA phones so that they beep in the presence of a close friend.

I explain,

Suppose i am in a crowd. I have a 3310. And a friend of mine also is in the same crowd and i don't know that he is near me. He also has a NOKIA phone.

If there were an option in my phone to beep in the presence of my friend's phone. I don't know if you can get my point.

At first when i saw menu 'Closed User Group' in my NOKIA phone i thought it was for detecting a particular frequency which was set by the value that we type.

If someone has understand my point please give explanations if possible or not.

Thanks

Mehvishal2

ICQ# : 175049963

cypher1024
10-02-2003, 02:39 AM
That's a really interesting idea! I think once I learn asm, I'll definately have a go at adding this function!

My plan was to add a 'radio' function to phones, so that phones which are within the transmitting range of eachother could communicate amongst themselves... instead of going through the cellular network. It's probably illegal, but so's changing the IMEI... :p

chunkhead
10-02-2003, 03:38 AM
They already have something of the same idea! I think it's by a company called 3G. But it's used for dating! You type in all the characteristics of your perfect match and then if someone matching that criteria (assuming they are logged on as well) walks by or is close, your phone beeps! Supposedly it's already in operation in Europe somewhere!;)

cypher1024
10-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Hehe. That's cool! But i bet it runs off the cellular network.. those cheap bastards.. Lol :p

Aus_Yoda
18-06-2003, 06:04 AM
yes, the dating thing is big in japan. but to stop a thousand guys' phones ringing when a hotty walks past, it only triggers the phones if you BOTH match eachother's criteria. :)
i've thought about the radio idea before. would love to hear if it works. :D these little buggers must have some pretty powerful transmitters in em, considering the range they work in...
i think it would work well.

sergo_zmeia
18-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi guys!
Good idia..but I think we must keep in mind the algorithm of the cellular comunications.... the cell phone doesnt work like a radio station what I mean is that to make a contact between two pnones We need a cell from the network .... in that case if this idia be reliest the phones with such a option will always be searching for another phone with the same option...in that case the battery will be discharge for a day or somthing like this...
Hey i dont want to diapoint You i just thin that the above is close to the truth...sorry for that....and please forgive me if Im not wright...
/sorry for my english/
Regards!
Sergo_Zmeia

yjagota
18-06-2003, 02:56 PM
3G is a technology in the first place. Secondly, I don't have even heard about such a technology that if a particular phone with a particular frequency passes before you, your phone beeps or rings or flashes?? Where have you guys learned about it?

You can't have radio frequency distinguishers in a small instrument like a phone. Can you? No phone can do that. Networks can do this as they know where a phone is, but phones?? Not possible.

chunkhead
19-06-2003, 06:29 AM
Maybe it does run off the networks, but why can't a "Radio frequency distinguisher" fit into a phone? They can put cars into suitcases, and they can build machines that fit inside blood cells!? Where's your imagintion??? Give the human race some credit!:D

yjagota
19-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Because it needs high powered arials which are big in size :o. There is no imagination involved here. I'm talking about today. No such technology exists today. I don't know about tomorrow. Maybe your phone will even tell you that you have forgotten about zipping your pants after going to loo :p...who cares? :rolleyes: I'm talking about my era not my grandchildren's gadgets.

Thanh
19-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Hello :)
Nice that i found a thread where i can contribute :)
Now, what is wanted here is a device which signals another such device's presence, right? Possibly setup with some code to make sure it does not go off to ANY such device.
Well, a bit of background: I am gay. Being so, and having collected information about gay people and lifestyle worldwide, i know, that in the UK there is a device available (name "GayDar" if i'm not wrong!) which enables closeted gays (those who pretend to be straight) to find each other in crowds. It is a simple device, sending a low-power signal on a certain frequency, and receiving the signal from others. When another one get's in range, it beeps. As simple as that.
Now, having been not only gay but also active CB radio operator for many years, i know of CB walkie-talkies, which can check automatically if a partner device (the other walkie talkie) is still in range. Therefor it sends periodically a signal, and the other one "answers". The device measures the signal strength, and if it starts getting weak, an alarm goes off and you can call the other one to warn him/her that he/she is getting out of range and the contact might break. This function is settable to a code, that it can't be interferrred by another walkie talkie of the same type.
Now, we need a combination of those two, and it's got to be small. Ever heared of "bugs", or "mini-spies"? They are illegal, but they represent a full-functionable FM transmitter with microphone or even colour camera, in the size of a cigarette butt. The range of those devices is still up to 250 meters!
Combine those three now, and you got what we need. A device that can be set to a code (and your friend(s) need the same code) with a range of maybe 10 meters that auto-detects incoming signal and sends itself at low power (1 milliwatt/0.01 watt is enough!) which won't drain the battery (it could operate for weeks on a charge) and enables you to find your peers (be it gays, friends or your boss) in a crowd. It will be small enough to fit somewhere in the phone (it could come built-in into a battery... like those twin-sim batteries, or vibra batteries)... and there is your gadget!
By the way, if you select a frequency high enough, say, 1800 MHz, the antenna doesn't need to be big... a wire of 4 cm's is enough! And that fit's easily under a cover.... just, you won't be able to control this thingy via the phone's menu. But a simple dip-switch to select a code, say, 4 digits... still enables 8 different groups of people to be in the same crowd without disturbing each other.
Hope this was a little light in the tunnel.... looking for someone to build that thing!
Best regards....
your Thanh

yjagota
20-06-2003, 06:26 AM
Thanks for correcting me Thanh. But that will make the phone too much expensive and secondly you will be able to find only people with a frequency you know, and vice versa and not everyone.