PDA

View Full Version : Batteries running out really fast

Nanda
08-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm having a strange problem with 5130:

everytime I charge a battery with it (using an ACP-9 travel charger, Nokia-original) the battery only lasts for an hour or so and then it runs out (to the point that the phone won't even power on).

When I attach the charger is shows all the usual charging signs (ie battery indicator and shifting charge bars, etc.) and it seems to be charging OK. But then when the charge's over (after no matter how many hours - I left it for 12 hours once) I always get the problem... Doesn't matter what battery I use!

I don't know what's causing this. When the phone was new, the first time I tried to charge the battery I used an ACP-8 charger with it and it said "not charging". Then I saw the ACP-8 charger wasn't compatible with 5130, but I seriously doubt this could have damaged the phone's circuitry (especially since it shows all signs of charge when I attach a compatible charger).

Can anyone shed a light on this? Please help!!!!

PS.: This is the same #@£*& 5130 that shows "1" on the display all the time.

Nanda
08-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Oh, and the charger works perfectly. It fully charges a 5180 battery in 2 hours.

Cheers,

Al
08-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi!

I've also had such kind of problem with my 3310. Charging signs also was on screen, but charge procces always continued less than 20min (after this time FullM in netmonitor 20) also was a strange noise from the phone with connected charger, and when I disconnect charger, phone still thinked that charger is connected (i.e. shifting charge bars). So it must be a phone hardware problem, for me solution was ) this (http://nokiafree.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=31825), but if you use full charged battery ( for ex. previously charged on another phone ) it also can be a shirt-circuit somewhere in PA

pico
08-03-2003, 08:30 PM
please check the solder contacts where battery connectors meet pcb. if broken, just reheat with a small tip solder iron :)

Al
08-03-2003, 08:33 PM
@pico
Are you still thinking that flash contains RAM & IO?
sorry.

pico
08-03-2003, 08:36 PM
look man i cant be bothered today

Al
08-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by pico
look man i cant be bothered today
ok, sorry, just interesting :)

pico
08-03-2003, 08:43 PM
sorry.
if you have some good descriptions of architec i would be more than greatful..
really i would love the full mem map but i dont think thats available is it:confused: :)

Al
08-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by pico
sorry.
if you have some good descriptions of architec i would be more than greatful..
really i would love the full mem map but i dont think thats available is it:confused: :)
Full description is on ARM development toolkit, soon I'll have a full copy of it, if you want I can upload it on ftp :)

@Nanda
sorry for this off topic

pico
09-03-2003, 11:28 AM
@nanda; yes sorry.
@al; thanks maybe in a few weeks. my computer seems a little buggy lately:rolleyes:

GadgetCatcher
09-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Nanda
Oh, and the charger works perfectly. It fully charges a 5180 battery in 2 hours.

Cheers,

The same type of phones here in the UK have the same problem.
(They have slightly different styling, but I am assured that they have the same setup)

The UK 6150 like the 5180 actually allows fast charging from the ACP-9 but the 6110/5160 does not.
(In lamens terms, the input rate is not variable on this phone)

The charger is specified to charge at a certain rate for a certain time and does not recognise the difference in phone. Hence it will tell the phone that charging is finished even though it has not fully charged the battery. (to stop overheating I suppose)
Hence it only lasts for a short time.

The phone itself is ok, it is just that it 'thinks' it has been given a full charge when it hasn't.
My only suggestion is to go back and use a normal charger or try a fast rate USB charger. Well that worked on my UK 6110 when I had it!

Hope that helps.
:)

Nanda
09-03-2003, 04:03 PM
@GadgetCatcher

Thanks! The charger thing could be the cause, however if I leave the battery attached to the phone, with the phone turned OFF, the battery runs out completely anyway.

Last night I left the phone in a drawer, power OFF, with a fully-charged battery, and in the morning the phone wouldn't even blink.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Al
09-03-2003, 04:51 PM
It's a short circuit somewhere in the phone.

jelzon
10-03-2003, 01:54 AM
it might have a faulty charging IC, maybe you should check it out...