PDA

View Full Version : Wap Search Engine



nicelad_uk
11-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Hello,
Im creating my own personal wap site, and i have on it over 2000 midi files and 1000 wallpapers.
Im wanting to put in it my own search page so that it will search through my wap site and find what im searching for.
For example, im wanting to find a ringtone called "blah" I put that into the search box and it finds the ringtone and lets me click on it to download it.
Any ideas? I know it can be done as it is on digidots wap page, but they wont help me.

Thanks a lot,

rich

mrbig4545
12-03-2003, 02:16 AM
.

Mark@rnation
12-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Hey there,

This isn't easy unless you know some kind of server side language such as PHP or ASP.

I coded my WAP site on http://www.ringtonenation.com in PHP. This uses a MySQL database to store the midi files, names and other information. As you might know, with databases you can manipulate the information stored in it to search and select certain items, so I'd recommend you learn the basics of this language.

A few good resources for PHP & WAP can be found at http://www.zend.com and http://www.phpbuilder.com. There are articles on those sites which explain how to use PHP and WAP in conjunction with each other.

I can't really explain everything as it would take forever. Just PHP and MySQL is the answer to your question ;)

Regards

nicelad_uk
13-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Hi, i dont know anything about php or mysql. Is there anyway that you could help me?
Maybe write a search page for me and an example of the database that i can modify? ill be real appriciative and try and help u in any way i can.
Thanks for your time anyway

Mark@rnation
13-03-2003, 06:46 PM
I'd rather not write it for you as I have paying clients I do this kind of stuff for. Although I can write the whole thing for a good price ;)

If you want to make it without getting your wallet out then I recommend you learn it using the tutorials which are all over the net. (I used internet tutorials to learn it, used no books whatsover!)

If you need any assistance with setting out the database structure then I'd be willing to guide you on that ;)

Cheers

nicelad_uk
13-03-2003, 07:06 PM
All depends how many elements are in the equation???

wozza
13-03-2003, 09:37 PM
just use php and sql? have like



$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ringtones WHERE description LIKE "$searchstring");
while ($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
echo "<a href=" . $row["href"] . ">" . $row["name"] . "</a>";
}


You get the general idea? :)