PDA

View Full Version : Pool damage!

cypher1024
15-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Hey all,
I just got a phone off a friend who dropped it in a diving pool. I think it might have been fine except for the fact that she kept trying to turn it on. Apparently it made some crackly noise in the speaker and the LEDs flashed. She tried drying it for about a week, and then gave it to me to try and fix. I tried pulling it apart and washing the PCB with water and dishwashing detergent (I read somewhere that that can sometimes fix it...).

I tried to reflash it, but it doesn;t respond to pressing the power button to initialize flashing. Does anyone know how to fix this?

nkresource
15-03-2003, 01:07 PM
i use METHS, wash it completly in this and then leave to dry for 24hrs. Then try it

cypher1024
15-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Ok. I'll give it a go. You don't think that her turning it on when it was waterlogged would have done any damage??

Big doink
15-03-2003, 06:01 PM
You can plug the charger in to also start the flashing instead of using the power button.

lonegunman
15-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Luck of the draw when turning a water damaged phone on, so what I try and do is give the phone a good clean, hot air the phone for a good 10-15 mins and then try and flash it.:D

cypher1024
17-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Well it was dropped in the pool about a few weeks ago. It wouldn't flash, so I tried waching it with water and dishwashing liquid (after pulling the phone apart). I'm going to try cleaning with something stronger (a solvent). What should I put in the turpentine or whatever I use to clean it? Just the PCB? The speaker etc??

Thanks,
-cypher

cypher1024
18-03-2003, 12:30 PM
I tried soaking the PCB in turpentine and brushing it vigorously with a toothbrush, then I let it dry, then I washed it aith warm water and dishwashing liquid, then I rinsed it with cold water and let it dry. I just tried flashing it, but I get a "Preloader boot error" then I try again and I get "power off mobile first then connect..."

Anyone know what's going on?

lonegunman
18-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Have you hot air dry the phone? as this is better than just leaving it to dry as the air will blow all the water off the board.

cypher1024
18-03-2003, 05:58 PM
I haven't tried hot air yet... but I did have it out in the sin for quite some time