PDA

View Full Version : 33xx (Phone RAM bad)

chunkhead
23-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I have a 3350 that was water damaged with contact service! I tested the phone with Eeprom tools which diagnosed it as a Cobba parallel failure! This was soon fixed by heating the cobba with a butane hor air blower! The phone then powered on! Was working 100% except when it powered on it displays "Charging...", after 10 secs it displays "not charging..."! It would not accept a charge either! Me being the idiot that I am, decides to re-heat the PA and CCont among other things! Now it wont power up! When I try to re-flash, rolis says "Preload init error, Phone RAM is BAD!"

I have already cleaned the phone of the water damge problem, have flashed it before the re-heat and I have made sure that the correct phone is chosen in Rolis Flasher!

Have I stuffed it? Can I fix it? Do I need to change the RAM?
Any help much appreciated!

Cheers!

lonegunman
23-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Check all the joints that you heated up as I think you have OVER COOKED them a little might need to resolder them.

This was soon fixed by heating the cobba with a butane hor air blower!

That has got to be the first time I have heard of that, hair dryer or paint stripper may be but a butane gun:confused: :confused:

chunkhead
24-03-2003, 02:28 AM
Should i just re-heat them again or should I take them off the board? Is it the cobba that's causing the problem or the ram? Or anything else for that matter! If you could give me a detailed explanation on some sort of process, that would be very helpful! As for the butane hot air blower, I got it from an electronics store, it was recommended just short of forking out serious cash for a Hot air solder station! Maybe I'm running it too hot???

lonegunman
24-03-2003, 08:25 AM
You may need to replace them, but first try re-heating and try again, but dont heat up to much as you will kill the phone.

chunkhead
24-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Ok, Have re-heated on lower setting! No luck! Have now carefully removed the cobba to find 2 large blobs of solder rather then 64 little ones! The cooba itself has almost no solder on it! Can I replace the 3350 cobba with a 3310's? And how do i repair/prepare the board for the new one?

Cheers!

lonegunman
24-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Try it, but would have to say 100% I don't know if it will work.