PDA

View Full Version : REDUCE flashing time...

dazexyz
14-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Hi Mates!

I allways wonder that people every time write full flash to their phone when something has changed...

Why can't be heard that write only parts of flash what changed?

It would be a good idea: read full flash -> backup it ->mod the flash -> (correct chks etc.) -> than flash only has changed... (include chks)...

Is it not working???

Because some MCU+PPM is so large... (only an idea to reduce flashin' time)

Regards

DaZe

Al
14-04-2003, 01:07 PM
You surely can use this method (min flashable area is 64kB and size must be multiple by 64kB), but most of the people too lazy to flash phone partially ;)

pico
14-04-2003, 01:35 PM
but if you modify say just a 64k block then flash back;
the MCU (or ppm as case may be) checks will be incorrect..
contact service

this is unless you know how to make the partial so it unefects checksum, ie any byte incremented must be met with a byte decremented so as sum is not affected.

but then, you can only really do small edits, like when we needed partial files to unlock dct3, it was only 3/4 bytes changed.
the tasks you do these days when editing require more than that..

Al
14-04-2003, 01:46 PM
@dazexyz
Kill checks once and use partial flashing after that ;)

Romeo26222
14-04-2003, 02:14 PM
for me if i flash the ppm only if I edited it but about flashing the changed part only the program is erasing the flash then write it back(for rolis) so if i write the edited block only the will not have any other thing in its flash IC but this block..I didn't try "Don't erase before write" but i think should

GeeZuZz
14-04-2003, 03:37 PM
There is a program named "coolflash" with that function. It is a .exe file you must place in the same folder as Knok. It is supposed to scan the old file, with the new file, and find the differences, and only flash those areas.

I didn't get it working, but i do think others said it worked.

I have attached the file, but it might be other files needed to, i can't remember if it was a standalone exe for Knok, or some other files too.

Romeo26222
14-04-2003, 05:52 PM
wt about using hex workshop and get the difference between the files...get the offsets,add +200000 and flash to fone:D

dazexyz
15-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi mates!

A tried this soft what you offerd... but works not so fine ;-)))
It's not so fast (very slow) and can't do what promis... (contact service)

It may be i'am so stupid to use this soft/plugin... but not works...

Can anyboby help?

pico
15-04-2003, 01:14 PM
knok is a weird flasher soft anyway. i find it slow, but cos the way it writes the files..

try:
1/ get a clean mcu/ppm image and open in genolite (search nfree for that prog). select kill MCU check and FAId check, save and flash to phone.
make a copy of that file in your HD and rename to working.fls or similar..

2/ edit your flash file as needed

3/ open edited flash in hexworkshop ( http://www.bpsoft.com )
goto tools> compare files
select first file as working.fls, second file as the original (with killed checksums..)

4/ find the start of altered code in the file (note this down),
goto edit> select> block
your block should be 64kb (65536 bytes) or a multiple of that number (you need to work out the size of the block so as you get all the edited code selected)

5/ copy+paste code to a new file and save as partial.fls or something

6/ take the address you noted above and add 200000 to this number.

7/ use rolis flasher to write the file in your handset.

if rolis gives error (file size must be n*64k) you worked out the size of selected block wrongly..

good luck man :)

Al
15-04-2003, 01:19 PM
...and about starting address, it also must be multipe of 64kB ;)
(coz flash IC can be erased only by blocks of 64kB)

dazexyz
15-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by pico
knok is a weird flasher soft anyway. i find it slow, but cos the way it writes the files..

try:
1/ get a clean mcu/ppm image and open in genolite (search nfree for that prog). select kill MCU check and FAId check, save and flash to phone.
make a copy of that file in your HD and rename to working.fls or similar..

2/ edit your flash file as needed

3/ open edited flash in hexworkshop ( http://www.bpsoft.com )
goto tools> compare files
select first file as working.fls, second file as the original (with killed checksums..)

4/ find the start of altered code in the file (note this down),
goto edit> select> block
your block should be 64kb (65536 bytes) or a multiple of that number (you need to work out the size of the block so as you get all the edited code selected)

5/ copy+paste code to a new file and save as partial.fls or something

6/ take the address you noted above and add 200000 to this number.

7/ use rolis flasher to write the file in your handset.

if rolis gives error (file size must be n*64k) you worked out the size of selected block wrongly..

good luck man :)

Thanx, i will try...