PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT !!! Is this the END ???

dr.bizar
14-04-2003, 03:42 PM
I recieved this letter from nokia regarding my site - It looks mutch like the letter they sent to cubwulf

- Is this the beginning of a regular witch hunt ?? :(

Here's the letter + my repply. I will post their second repply when i recive it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>Dear Sirs,

>It has recently come to our attention, that you are hosting web pages at the
>address of www.blight.dk On the sites you offer, among other things, various
>software files for downloading. This software includes Nokia tools and unlockers,
>MCU/PPM files and flashing software.
>
>The above software is subjet to the copyright of the Nokia Group.
>As the owner of the copyright Nokia cannot allow you to distribute
>such material on your web pages.
>
>Nokia takes its intellectual property rights seriously and will not
>allow any of its rights to be infringed. We hereby request,
>that you will immediately remove the above mentioned software
>from your web sites.
>
>We look forward to receiving your written confirmation by 27 APRIL 2003,
>that you have removed the infringing software and will not in the future
>infringe the intellectual property rights of Nokia. We also expect, a
>writen statement, on the origin of any nokia copyrighted matirial.
>
>Regards,
>Sanna Aspola
>Legal Counsel, IPR
>Brand Protection
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Nokia / Sanna Aspola

First of all - I have checked my legal rights.
If you had taken the time to look at my site proberbly, you would have seen that
i'm NOT hosting any nokia software - just linking.

Regarding the flashers and unlockers - it's all 3´rd part software, witch nokia owns
no copyright to.

Don't you think you are taking your intellectual property rights a little to serius ?
1) First of all - you will have to buy a nokia phone to finger with it
- how can that hurt you ?

2) Take a look at the computer "cold war" in the past -
the only reason the common PC won the race above, MAC and AMIGA, was
that it was open source and FREEWARE.

3) Why not see the sites out there as a user opinion survey - why do you think people
are modding your software ??

Hope you can see my point of view - my site wasn't intended to hurt nokia in any way.

Regarding the origin of any MCU/PPM files - plz try searching google or any other search
engine

Regards Kasper Pedersen
Aka Dr.Bizar @ blight.dk
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

newcasper
14-04-2003, 04:06 PM
very very very cute answer

phantom2002
14-04-2003, 04:27 PM
This is looking a bit like a witch hunt !!!

Well, if i do receive any letters from nokia.....i will ensure that the files will still be available......(i will just link to another site which they cannot shutdown).

They must want to start unlocking their own phones now lol

Lets face it, they can never remove this type of thing totally.........Never !!!!

Regards

www.phantom.mirrorz.com

Nokia - Sony-Ericsson - Sagem - Samsung - Sony - Ericsson

Lets hope that those other companys don't get the hump too eh ?

pico
14-04-2003, 04:31 PM
very simple solution;

add .htaccess file with password protection to your server

have simple user/pass combo such as:
nfree/user
mobile/elibom (;))
etc

NMP cant tell you shit :)

ahib
14-04-2003, 04:52 PM
nice reply Drbizar!Im going to write to Nokia asking them 'what about the intellectual rights of guys like us from whom nokia rip ideas off?' Daud versus Jaluth (David versus Goliath!)

psgsm
14-04-2003, 05:31 PM
thats a good idea, use a password on your server!

you have a very good site and i dont want it to go

dr.bizar
14-04-2003, 06:54 PM
HI all - it's me again...

I've been doing a little research: i've been browsing the web for consumer and user rights. add this legal notice to your site - and you should be home free.

If you are affiliated with any Government, Media related company,
Telecommunication related companies or ANTI-Piracy group or any
other related group or were formally a worker of one you can NOT
enter this web site, cannot access any of its files and you cannot
view any of the data that is stored in the files on this site or
any data that is stored on its database.

Please note, if you proceed past this page and you are not abiding
with the above terms then you are in clear breach of the Computer
Misuse Act and also violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet
Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you
can NOT threaten our ISP or any person(s) or company storing these
files, cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which
includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web
site. All visitors IPs to this site are logged and will be used
as evidence if necessary.

Downloading pages or files without permission from this private
site constitutes theft.

phantom2002
14-04-2003, 06:57 PM
yep i looked at that idea, but couldn't find enough info on the subject !!! (not enough time!! lol)

Can you give an example of simple .htaccess script please

i.e folder nokia protected using nokia/dicks as pass/user

I can use this with the site i currently have :) just means that ppl will have to email me for the pass/user !!!

Perhaps if you give me an example script i will run my server 24/7 again, had to stop last time because of bandwidth issues (and the fact i couldn't use my internet connection either)

Thanks in advance

dr.bizar
14-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Here you go m8

The .htaccess File

Adding password protection to a directory using .htaccess takes two stages. The first part is to add the appropriate lines to your .htaccess file in the directory you would like to protect. Everything below this directory will be password protected:

AuthName "Section Name"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /full/path/to/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

There are a few parts of this which you will need to change for your site. You should replace "Section Name" with the name of the part of the site you are protecting e.g. "Members Area".

The /full/parth/to/.htpasswd should be changed to reflect the full server path to the .htpasswd file (more on this later). If you do not know what the full path to your webspace is, contact your system administrator for details.

The .htpasswd File

Password protecting a directory takes a little more work than any of the other .htaccess functions because you must also create a file to contain the usernames and passwords which are allowed to access the site. These should be placed in a file which (by default) should be called .htpasswd. Like the .htaccess file, this is a file with no name and an 8 letter extension. This can be placed anywhere within you website (as the passwords are encrypted) but it is advisable to store it outside the web root so that it is impossible to access it from the web.

Entering Usernames And Passwords

Once you have created your .htpasswd file (you can do this in a standard text editor) you must enter the usernames and passwords to access the site. They should be entered as follows:

username:password

where the password is the encrypted format of the password. To encrypt the password you will either need to use one of the premade scripts available on the web or write your own. There is a good username/password service at the KxS site which will allow you to enter the user name and password and will output it in the correct format.

For multiple users, just add extra lines to your .htpasswd file in the same format as the first. There are even scripts available for free which will manage the .htpasswd file and will allow automatic adding/removing of users etc.

Accessing The Site

When you try to access a site which has been protected by .htaccess your browser will pop up a standard username/password dialog box. If you don't like this, there are certain scripts available which allow you to embed a username/password box in a website to do the authentication. You can also send the username and password (unencrypted) in the URL as follows:

http://username:[email protected]/directory

ahib
15-04-2003, 12:06 AM
@drbizar I was trying to get on ur site BUT it dont work even when I click on agree to terms does this mean its the end?hope NOT!

dr.bizar
15-04-2003, 03:33 AM
It most sertenly does not :)

Error is fix - atleast i think so hehe

Just try it again

pekde
15-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi dr. bizar! And others.

Your site is awesome! Easy to use and understand. And lots of great tutorials.

I just found it and it is the best so far.

I'm a newbie but still I have been in dozens of Nokia related pages. It would be really sad that Nokia might put your hard work away, you among others. They are really stupid, people in that situation - in the lead - are really stupid always. They think that we are harmful to them when we flash or mod their phones. They are too proud.

Nokia is from the first a finnish company and many phones are still made in Finland, where I live. I have been in the last sommer here in a company that made nokia and ericsson phones.
I made ericcson, and it is pure shit.

Don't the Nokia guys notice, that we respect them and like their phones and thats why we flash and mod them?!?
I have done flashin' about month and during that time buyed 2 nokia phones that i could flash them, 5110 and 6110. I have also another 6110, one 3110, 3210 and 6210 that is now 6250. If i hadn't heard about flashing i wouldn't have buyed the phones.
Why they aren't grateful that we use their phones, we don't like samsung, s-e, seamens, whatever shit, we like NOKIA phones!!!
Nokia is the most popular phone, so far.... But in the future I don't know, if this game continues. The key is in their hands.

I say this to mr. Jorma Ollila: Pistä poikasi kuriin! - Put your guys to discipline!

And dr. bizar I have another solution if nothing helps then maybe you should remove some material off your site. Links to those mcu+ppm files for example or something that they would think is the worst thing...

madmoe
15-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Good response to the Nokia letter man. Wicked site as well, just browsed into it now, what I have been looking for for ages.

Keep up the great work :)

ahib
16-04-2003, 12:42 AM
@drbizar still cannot access your site:( the main page just flicks on then dissapears!

madmoe
16-04-2003, 02:59 PM
I got onto the page OK yesterday!

cprafferty
16-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Comprehensive guide to .htaccess (http://javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml)

Everything you need to know about .htacess