PDA

View Full Version : barred 8310

dazzlet2003
26-04-2003, 12:34 AM
hi i have a nokia 8310 that i am told has been barred. i dont know much about phones or barring or things. but could someone help me out here
i took the phone to a place to get it unlocked so it would accept all the sim cards. right so far.
the man did a thing to the phone with a cable linked to a laptop then he said it wouldnt work as the phone is barred. could any one please tell me what barred is and if the phone will ever work again or if it is useless.
if the phone is barred is there any possibility that this can be un barred and if so how would i go about it.
i herd there was some software out there that removed barrs on phones is this also true?

thanks daz

Yotamz
26-04-2003, 04:41 PM
every phone has an IMEI number, this is the identifier of the phone. when your phone is barred (or blacklisted) it means that your imei (=your phone) is banned from the network, ex. if your phone is barred at orange you will not be able to connect to orange with any sim card.
some networks share their barring lists, so if you are barred on one network you are barred on all.

what that guy did to your phone was unlocking it - making it accept any sim card you put in it, but the only way to un-barr the phone is:
having access to the network's database
or
changing the phone's imei.

but, in dct4 phones (like the 8310) the imei is programmed in a one-time-programmable chip, and it can't be changed. the only way to change it is to replace that chip. (btw it is illegal).

about the software that remove barrs. there is no such thing, just a software that changes the imei, but as i said before - this can't be done in dct4 phones, just on dct3 - older models like 3310, 8210 and so...

08-05-2003, 06:13 PM
i would like to add one thing your mobile is barred in uk but will work ok in other countries

BOEBOE
08-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Read this... Am I reading this correct: you CAN change DCT4's IMEI via software, not hardware...

Yotamz
08-05-2003, 08:56 PM
i've read posts about software that can change IMEI in dct4 phones, but i didn't here about one that actually works.

the chip is one-time-programmable, if it was possible to change the data in that chip with software - it is not one-time-programmable.

holden_dude
20-09-2004, 07:51 AM
best thing to do is sell it or trade it for one thats barred in another country i.e. u trade your uk barred phone for one barred in another country. and dont go to places for unlocks, its just not worth it when its free on here. btw how did u aquire the phone?

holden_dude
20-09-2004, 07:52 AM
best thing to do is sell it or trade it for one thats barred in another country i.e. u trade your uk barred phone for one barred in another country. and dont go to places for unlocks, its just not worth it when its free on here. btw how did u aquire the phone?

danwood76
20-09-2004, 04:27 PM
This thread is old and in the wrong place
thread closed

Danny