PDA

View Full Version : 8210 strange fault

NokiaFan
09-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Hi There..

A colleague gave me a 8210 to look at but it has a fault i have not seen before..

It logs onto the net fine and sends SMS'es fine but when trying to make a call i just get the 3 tones "dit dut dyt" and the same happens if you try to call it, the caller gets the 3 tones too..

Anyone have a clue what is happening to this phone ????

NokiaFan

danwood76
09-05-2003, 04:08 PM
The phone has been reported stolen most probably!
On some networks like orange it says 'sim card registration failed' when the phone is reported stolen but on other networks like Vodafone it does exactly what you've described.

All you need to do is change the IMEI of the phone to another that is working!

NokiaFan
09-05-2003, 09:09 PM
@danwood76

The Strange thing about it is that the phone belongs to a little girl that have had it for half a year and it has worked fine, seems odd that someone should report it stolen after she has had it for half a year..

Well i will try and tell him that, i think i will try changing the serial to se if it helps and if it does i will change it back to its own and give it back, i do not support theft and i am not going to be a part of anything that helps a thieve......I wouldnt like someone stealing my things so i wont help others that do, the little girl must if it is stolen go to the police and tell who she bought it from and then they can deal with the individual..

NokiaFan

markoldroyd
09-05-2003, 11:56 PM
IMEI numbers are not always unique, many phones may share the same IMEI and consequently when one of these phones is stolen and reported, all phones with the same IMEI get barred. This is one of the arguements against using IMEI codes to bar phones.

Think that explains why this girls 8210 is barred!

NokiaFan
10-05-2003, 10:13 PM
@markoldroyd

Are you completely sure about that, i have allways been told that the IMEI number in a phone was unique and subsequently there would NEVER be 2 phones with the same IMEI..

I was also told that if i for example cloned a telephone and tried to log both phones on at the same time the network would bar them both because it would not accept 2 identical IMEI numbers on the same network...

If you are right IMEI is as worthless as an umbrella on a sinking ship...

NokiaFan

markoldroyd
11-05-2003, 09:13 PM
I know for a fact some nokia phones contain the same IMEI as the company has admitted that themselves. Sony erricson on the otherhand claim every IMEI number on their phones is unique.

A while back it was only Orange and T-mobile (then 1-2-1) who supported phone barring. The main arguements for Vodafone and BT not to support phone barring was:

1. It would cost them a lot of money to upgrade their systems

2. Some, not many but some handsets contain the same IMEI, so if one got barred then another customers phone could get barred. The phone companies obviously used this point mainly.

It was only after goverment intervention that BT and Voda HAD to bar phones. This barring of phones will have accidently blocked some innocent law abiding civilians phone and they wont know why!!

Also phone cloning is considered illegal as it creates a phone with a false IMEI and the info u have been told about multiple IMEI's is rubbish coz of the non unique IMEI problem. I did a lil experiment and changed 2 phones on BT to the same IMEI and they both worked fine still.

Have a look at some articles on the net mate, i would point u 2 a couple i have read but i cant remember where they were! maybe zdnet or something like that.

Hope this info helps!

chunkhead
13-05-2003, 04:29 PM
It's purely a network fault! Certain providers don't own the towers they transmit their signals from, the company who does own the tower will give their customers preference everytime! Try a different simcard!;)