PDA

View Full Version : 8210 - Where the hell is my signal!!!

yagami
29-05-2003, 07:11 PM
I have an 8210 - BEFORE I GO FURTHUR - THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE FAULT!!!

It was working perfectly, completey, remarkably well - no problems whatsoever.

I had just bought the phone, so I decided to give it a FULL FACTORY RESET - Using KNOK Build 2.2

After this, the signal doesn't come anymore!!!!

I left it on for 2 hours, and the signal appeared,

But when i restart it, the signal takes another two hours to reappear if at all!!!!

I flashed it with a FULL Backup Flash x20 to x40

Repaired IMEI, Reset SP Locks with eeprom tools, and I DID UPDATE FAID ABOUT 20 TIMES, and still no cigar.

It was working fine!!!!! Now i have a Sh**ty fone with no signal.

Any ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????

Gee
29-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Reflash MCU PPM and Virgin Eeprom then repair Imei and calc FAID

yagami
29-05-2003, 10:18 PM
WHEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Finally managed to fix the problem!!!

After flashing the phone 6 times, updating faid 70 times, repairing IMEI 10 times, and reseting SP Locks 20 times, and losing 10% of the hair on my head,

I discovered that Updating FAID with Rolis Nokia Tool did the trick!!!!!

For sum reason, Eeprom tools 3.1 & 4.0, knok 2.2 & 1.8, and Nokia Licker 2.3 did not do the job....

hmmm

never had a problem with those before - but i think i will stick with rolis tool.

Thanks anyways

Assamiea
31-05-2003, 11:43 PM
I have same problem as you had.
can you help me step by step to solve that problem?

losing 20% of the hair on my head, still losing............

Thanks!

yagami
01-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Was the phone working before hand?

If not then it may be a hardware fault usually the silver chip on top of the PCB that needs replacing.

My phone was fully working (till i screwed it up).

In this case,

I did:

Read a Full Backup Including eeprom (x20 - x40) From a working 8210 using Rolis.

Write the Full Backup to the faulty 8210 using rolis.

Using Rolis Tool 1.8, Update Faid.

Then Restore IMEI,

Update Faid again, and if needed Reset SP Locks, Update FAID again.

Then if needed (SFS ) Factory Reset

Assamiea
01-06-2003, 03:20 AM
yes, the phone was working good, it srewed up after i upgraded to newer version.

you mean i have to back up from other working phone then flash to dead one, right?

Ok, i'll follow your direction to try again.

Assamiea
01-06-2003, 04:17 AM
I losing more hair....

I tried flash 2 times, but no help.

here what i did:

i used flasher by Rolis v4.78 read 20~40 from working phone, then flash to dead phone.
used Nokia Tool by Rolis v1.8 update FAID, changed IMEI, update FAID again, clear SP locks, FAID again, then SFR (Factory reset).

now, it wont pick the signal, eveytime turn off/on, it takes 30sec~a minute or more to get the signal.

did i do something wrong?

yagami
01-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Hmm

Ok

First use knok to erase the dead phones flash from x20 - x40,

Then use Rolis to flash it.

Then use rolis tool to Change IMEI,

THEN Update Faid.

DO not do sfs and see what happens,

If network comes, then dissapears or fone restarts keep updatinf FAID until it works.

Sumtimes you need to Update FAID a few times - The most i've ever updated faid is abdout 15 times before the fone started working.

Experiment c wat happens

Assamiea
01-06-2003, 09:36 PM
First use knok to erase the dead phones flash from x20 - x40,
Can you give the link to download KNOK?
And what flash file to erase the phone?

Sumtimes you need to Update FAID a few times - The most i've ever updated faid is abdout 15 times before the fone started working.
Do you leave the sim card in or take it out for this part?

Thanks!!!

yagami
01-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Attached Knok 2.2.

There is an option that lets you erase the flash on the bad phone.
You dont need a flash file

I usually leave the sim card in.

This way each time you update faid you can restart the phone and c if its made a difference.

REMEMBER: Updating Faid without restarting the phone makes NO DIFFERENCE!!!

Each time you update FAID u MUST restart and c if it has made a difference.

Assamiea
01-06-2003, 11:48 PM
i'm done erase and flash, i update FAID around 30 times, i got network and signals 3 times, but when i power off/on, happen again.

Do you think there is hardware problem?

yagami
02-06-2003, 12:06 AM
Yes Probably, If it was a FAID problem u wouldda sorted it out by now.

Don't think its the antenna but you can try changing that -

Easiest way - if you have a working 8210 -

Open both phones up and swap the mainboards - that way your faulty mainboard is on your working 8210 chassis and antenna - if it works like that - then you have an antenna problem -

Otherwise as i said b4 its probably the Silver Chip wich is protected by a metal frame on the top of the PCB which needs replacement.

Assamiea
02-06-2003, 02:09 AM
WOW! I GET IT! yagami YEH!

I used your Knok 2.2. flashed the old version back to the phone, check and fix checksums, then used Nokia Tool by Rolis 1.8 to update FAID and changed IMEI and update FAID again, it got network and signal right away, I tried turn the power off/on many times, it has no problem at all, it works normally now.

Thank you very very much for your help! you are very kind.

chunkhead
02-06-2003, 05:22 AM
It was the checksums that was the problem! If that happens again, Kill the Checksums\FAID in Nfader and all will be fine!!!;)

jensenh1
03-06-2003, 11:22 PM
I have a fone with similar problems ie no signal or network coverage.i have flashed with v5.31,updated faid,reset sp locks.,repaired imei but its still the same.Also used eeprom tools which said that DSP test ok(whatever that means?) I cannot guarantee that its not a hardware problem though because i got the fone with this problem.Chunkhead could you please explain what nfader is please?Any help would be appreciated because ive spent hours working on this fone!

danwood76
04-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Nfader is a programme created to add fading LEDs to dct3 phones! It modds the flash so that when the lights turn on they get gradually brighter and when they go off the opposite happens!
It also has FAID and MCU checksum killer on it!
This takes away the need for updating FAID as it is 'dead'!

this prog is thanks to Al R.I.P.
If you search for it on the forum you will find it!

judgenik
04-07-2003, 04:54 AM
What do I do if i don't have a working 8210?? I can understand some of what has been said so far. I'll probably work it out as i go but i just don't want to stuff it completely before i know what I'm doing.
I've got everything else i need i think. Both the Rolis tools and the non-working 8210.
Is this a once off job or do i have to keep repeating the process because this will continue to happen?

petrik
15-08-2003, 02:33 PM
I bought a 8210 and have problem with signal:
When I am near BTS, phone is sometimes online (connected to operator) with full signal bar, but in short period the phone is loosing signal and then after 3s signal is back again. If I am far away from BTS, no signal at all. The weird is, when I am in medium distance or close to BTS, signal is still droping, but when I make a call, the signal is holding all right for an hour without drop, so HW should be OK. Any ideas? Could be the FAID problem?

chunkhead
16-08-2003, 10:08 AM
@ Everyone with a signal problem:

Read the Forum FAQ! Follow the "Contact Service" guide first, using the Rolis and Knok95 guides as well! If still no luck, try my Water Damage method http://nokiafree.org/forums/t31337/s.html and then post results or failures again! Try to use a fubu!;)

petrik
18-08-2003, 07:47 PM
thanks a lot, but do I need only MBUS cable or flasher cable? Or both? If do I need flasher, can you provide me some chema? Thnx

sergo_zmeia
19-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Mr. petrik have You read the FAQ?......You need both the cables anyway..
Regards!
Sergo_Zmeia

Jani-Jan
19-08-2003, 10:12 PM
i think there is no orignal imei of 8210
i also solve this problem by finding orignal imei of 8210 and chnge it after this update fid and sfr
set will be 100% ok no problem

for best result u can rehot ram chip and cobba

petrik
31-08-2003, 04:33 AM
Another experience. I made 3 long calls and after this, phone was holding the signal for 5 hours with only few drops in place he hasnt any signal before! Could be this SW/Frimware problem, or there is some bad/cold soldering that gets better after longer higher current (in a call) ? How do I recognize that? thnx!

I bought a 8210 and have problem with signal:
When I am near BTS, phone is sometimes online (connected to operator) with full signal bar, but in short period the phone is loosing signal and then after 3s signal is back again. If I am far away from BTS, no signal at all. The weird is, when I am in medium distance or close to BTS, signal is still droping, but when I make a call, the signal is holding all right for an hour without drop, so HW should be OK. Any ideas? Could be the FAID problem?

petrik
06-09-2003, 12:32 PM
I remembered when I found this phone in england, I charge it with nokia charger for 6100 which gives twice current and voltage than chrger for 8210. for 3 days this phone worked well without single signal drop, after 3 days started to loosing signal, but gradually, and after 5 days the phone was useless. Could it be famaget by too high voltage from charger? What died on PCB? Thanx a lot for any ideas

Another experience. I made 3 long calls and after this, phone was holding the signal for 5 hours with only few drops in place he hasnt any signal before! Could be this SW/Frimware problem, or there is some bad/cold soldering that gets better after longer higher current (in a call) ? How do I recognize that? thnx!

danwood76
08-09-2003, 03:49 PM
The extra current shouldn't have been a problem as all phones have voltage and current regulators in them!
I have charged my phone (3310 now) on a higher ampage non-nokia charger before with no problems!

It is probably something to do with the phones RAM chip!
I had a very similar problem with signal drop which eventually stopped my phone from turning on!
It turned out to be a fucked RAM chip!