PDA

View Full Version : Datacable/Serial Port Switching

shmike
01-06-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm sure many of you use other devices that connect to the serial port for other devices. I have about 6 that need to take use of it. Because the MBUS/FBUS cable connects to the serial port I always have to be connecting/disconnecting it.

Obviously this doesn't do any good for the the connector at the back of the computer, nor the cable itself.

I'm wondering if anyone has a schematic of knows of a site that has instructions on how to build a switch box for DB9 connectors? Or know of places where to get info on how to use IC's and make a switch using logic?

PS: I wasn't sure under which topic to post this thread. Apologies to those who find it too off topic for here.

danwood76
01-06-2003, 02:28 PM
All you need is a 9 pin rotary switch that switches between however many connectors you want!
You then buy the connectors for the switch box and a cable that will go between your box and your PC.
Wire each of the serial ports you have created to a seperate bank of switches on the 9pin switch and connect the one that goes to the PC to the output switch!

I would draw a schematic but I dowbt it actually needs one as it is only switching between the different inputs.

shmike
01-06-2003, 02:37 PM
danwood76:
Yup, that was my original idea behind it as well. I am familiar with the hardware construction side of it, except most stores that I have access to do not sell 9 pin rotary switches :P That is why I need help with an alternative.

By the way, you would only need an 8 pin rotary switch, as one of the pins is ground and can be connected to all sockets at all times without a hassle :)

danwood76
01-06-2003, 02:55 PM
yeah I just had a look at a couple of online stores and they didn't have 8 or 9 pin ones the most was 4 or 5.
What you could do is have two 4 rotaries each one switching half the port but you would have to remember to switch both of them over when you switched it!

What you could do is buy an LPT switch which is 25 pins or something likethat, then connect up serial ports to the outputs instead of LTP ports!
This would do the job!

I was actually looking for a serial switch a few months back as have 2 digital cameras that use the serial port along with my datacable kit but never found one and then forgot about it after a while!

If you do find a solution please post it as I would also be interested in making a serial port switch!

shmike
01-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Hmmm yeah DB25 switchoxes are common, and yeah I could modify one to use DB9 connectors. The only problem is, the ones that are common only switch between 2 devices. I need to switch between 6 devices (or 8 just to allow any that may come in future). My old digital camera also uses the serial port

And yes, I will gladly post any of my findings. Hopefully someone on this forum who knows a little bit more about electronics and logic switching may be able to help.

danwood76
01-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Hopefully someone has a good solution to this!

I would mess around with some logic gates etc. but my knowlege on this is pretty minimal and can only make a switch to work on one input/output, and only switches one-way!

shmike
01-06-2003, 03:46 PM
I am eagerly awaiting a solution to this as well. Constant switching has been driving me nuts! :D