PDA

View Full Version : Any way to determine..

jamo
21-05-2002, 08:49 AM
Hi all, as you can see, this is my first post after searching for the forums..
Have spent hours reading peoples' posts, and was wondering one thing..

I have brought my Nok 3310 from the UK to Australia, have the cables to unlock it, but everyone says to read the sw version first by typing star hash etc etc..
However I can't do this as the phone doesn't have a sim card for here in Australia!

Is there another way of determining the software version?

Many thanks to all you helpful people..

Jamo

StRanger
21-05-2002, 09:01 AM
use rolis noktool from download area and mbus datacable. read phoneinfo and look at "mcu sw" window.

StRanger
21-05-2002, 09:04 AM
btw, i think it's newer mind your nokia's sw version. here's a lot of software to unlock _any_ nokia phone... try nc_calc or the same rolis noktool.

jamo
21-05-2002, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the quick reply there STranger..

I have the flasher cable that plugs into the printer port, would this be the correct cable to unlock?

Also, I read that there are some limitations on the PC hardware/software that can be used, No Win2K or above, and no laptops would this be correct?

Regards to all you helpful people..

Jamo

phonedudes
21-05-2002, 10:46 AM
The quick answer is 'No and Yes'... To explain

The cable that plugs into the Printer (LPT) port is typically called the 'Flasher Cable' the cable that plugs into your Serial (9 pin com) port is typically called 'M2bus or Mbus Cable' .

You can use your flasher cable to 'Unlock' your phone by flashing or 'Partial Flashing' your phone.

However NOW there is NO need to do so just to simply unlock it. The newer tools like the ones mentioned in prior posts (Rolis Tool) can unlock W/O flashing. So therefore you use the M(2)bus cable.

Basically you FLASH through the 'Printer Port' and do everything else through your 'Com port' but they are TWO DIFFERENT CABLES

Phonedudes

jamo
21-05-2002, 10:51 AM
Excellent, thanks for clearing that up for me!

I only have the flasher cable with me, (LPT), is there instructions anywhere on how to 'unlock' via the flasher cable, ie remove the sp locks?

Much appreciated, again!

Jamo

phonedudes
21-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Also.. to answer the other part of your ? in regards to O/S and Laptops..

About every program is designed around Win95/98 however some work just fine under Win2k and others with the use of a program I believe named 'XpPort' allows some of the others to run as well. (that prog should be in the d/l section or use search in this forum)

I have used a laptop to with the Mbus cable without a problem, have not tried to Flash (through the LPT port). I believe the main reason for stating to not Flash w/a Laptop is because of the VOLTAGE coming out of your LPT port not being sufficient/stable to operate the FLASHER.

Hope all that helps

Phonedudes...
:)

jamo
21-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Hey,

Well, if you guys reckon it is easier to get the Mbus cables, as opposed to the flasher cables, any ideas where I can buy them online from? Can I make them? Convert my flasher cable to one of them?

This phone unlocking thing is hard to get your head around when you are new to it all, thanks to all for your patience shown..

Jamo