PDA

View Full Version : java programming

enfoo
18-06-2003, 06:49 AM
I was wondering if there are any java programmers out there who can all contribute and develop a game engine for use in J2ME games. The game engine would then preferable be open source.

I have develop (as part of a tutorial) a very basic car racing game with a point collision detection. it is not very advance but i manage to get it up from scratch in 2weeks.

It seems to me that the commercial programs are not really that sophisicated( although i may be wrong, due to my lack of J2ME programming experience) but the good sellers are those with the best graphics.

With a 64K limit on j2me programs, and graphics being big in size. i think the collision detection system and graphics manipulation SHOULD be very basic.

As such if we can develop a good collision detecting engine, then all it needs to make a game different from another is the graphics.

Any takers out there, or is this a waste of time

alexmae
05-07-2003, 09:02 AM
trying is never a waste of time. I'm a programmer in C# but I'm a beginner. If you attach there the source code I'll take a look. What program do you use?

enfoo
14-07-2003, 04:05 AM
The codes are a tutorial from mirojava game programming by David Fox. I bought the book but it didn't come with the codes so i re-write the code and some parts didn't work and i modified it. I just wnted it up as fsat as possible so i did not do any FPU calc.

anyway, i used sun java sdk (midp2.0 and cldc1.3, i think latest from sun).

well all the concepts are from the book but it is a starting point for myself who knew zero abt java programming b4 i bought the book.

I tried to run the program on a 3510i sdk (only because i own a 3530 phone) but it crashed. i think it is because i used midp2.0 whereelse the phone only support midp1.0.

I started this thread b'coz i THOUGHT it is pretty simple to do a collision engine detection from my x'perience furthermore a midlet developer can only work within the constraints of 64kb, midp2.0 and cldc which i think are pretty limiting as of now.

the codes are there for u and i have not touched the project as i am now trying to study a phone firmware.