PDA

View Full Version : 7160 unlocking adventure

darian75
04-06-2002, 05:27 PM
OK, I know us Yanks aren't the brightest when it comes to phones, but someone out there has to know the answer to this question. I've been to half a dozen "hack shops" on the east coast and no one, I mean NO ONE has any idea what to do with a Nokia 7160. They can't flash it, upgrade it, program it, nothing. I know more than most of these people and the only trick I've got is the *3001... Here's what I need:

The 7160 I've got came from Cingular. They suck so I left and I'm moving to AT&T. Because no one on the friggin east coast uses GSM except the prepaid SP's, I've gotta use TDMA and the 7160 is a shining example of what a TDMA phone should be. Only problem is, AT&T swears that they can't activate this phone because it was manufactured for Cingular (i.e. all the Cingular chanels are programmed into it, which aren't compatible with AT&T) which I know is bullsheit. None of the Nokia service centers around here know anything about how to change this, and I can't even find a cable for this thing that works. ARGH!!!

All I want to do is remove the SP lock on the phone and make it work with AT&T's network so I can use the phone with their service. I know it can be done but there is zero info out there on the 7160. I don't care what I have to do, I just need to make this thing work. Everyone I talk to says you guys are the best when it comes to Nokia, so there it is. Somebody please, proove I'm not SOL.

Snider
12-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Hi

I think you already gave up checking messages here. But I'll try to be help anyway.

I'm from Brazil and I got a 7160 too. Been using it for 1,5 years now (I had a 6120 before) and since I bought it nothing has beat it. Neither Motorola or Nokia did a better phone, concerning memory/customize/funcionality/user interface matter. I'm a very satiefied customer.

I wanna go deeper in my nokia too. I was away from that for a while. Right now i'm searching for the latest version of wintesla.

Are you still on your research or you gave it up?

How come you can't find a cable?

Let's try to help each other

Snider

Snider
13-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Oh

Just read somewhere that my DLR-3P cable doesnt work with wintesla.

good

Snider

phonedudes
13-08-2002, 02:35 PM
How can you deal with how SLOW they are! It acts like a 386 trying to run Win XP!

The 6360's are available and BLOWS the 7160 out of the water, is compatible with AT&T and has not a feature less than the 7160 that is USABLE on AT&T's network. (AT&T doesnt support the browser and never will)

The 7160 came w/a DLR-3p which is good for the now defunct 'FoneSync' and for other things (CDMA data connections etc..)
To do other things you need the good ole standard DAU-9p

TDMA will be AstaLaVista (eventually) and even AT&T in the EAST COAST is adding GSM networks. That being beside the point since TDMA is useful for people who still travel, then again one could get a GAIT phone the 6340

So chuck the BRICK underneath a door get yourself a 6360 for now and have a phone that will not give you any grief, fixed all the shortcomings of the 51,61,71 series (broken antennaes, broken back housings, loose/disconnecting batteries) and uses almost all the same accys (headsets,carkits,chargers)

PHONEDUDES :) :grin: :)

P.S. Then again nobody still really uses that phone do they???

aebailey40
15-12-2002, 05:59 PM
Did anybody figure out how to un-SPlock these yet?

jibril_s
05-01-2003, 05:38 AM
nokia soc

blondidog
08-01-2003, 06:33 AM
after reading some post by "phonedudes"
i will toss my 7160 i got from US Cellular
and get the 6360
i hope to learn from this site on how to max this new phone out
if you have any pointer for this newbie
please let me know
i should get my +6360 in a few days ....god i love this insurance
my call to my insurance company will sound something like this
"oh yes....i droped my phone and ran it over...yes my nokia 7160...oh your going to give me a 6360 that should work..."

deer
09-08-2003, 07:32 PM
I have a 7160. I'm in Argentina and here there aren't almost any gsm phone. Everything here is tdma, cdma and amps (a bit old?).

The thing is that you can unlock the 7160 with the "nokia unlock". You have to do this:

1- Conect your 7160 to the pc (com1) with the mbus cable.

2- Run Nokia unlock

3- Press "unlock"

4- The phone will restore factory values (and you will loose everything).

5- Don't restart phone

6- Enter nam programing and write the system id, home soc, mobile number, etc. (or use Wintesla) - (the operator has to give you the values)- Here in Argentina it's: system id:32129, home soc:2062

7- Restart phone, and it will be working.

IMPORTANT: When you restart the phone, the home soc will stay locked with the value you entered. That's why you don't have to restart it before writing.