PDA

View Full Version : 2 sims with the same number

p.barker.3646
26-06-2003, 11:58 AM
i dont know if anyone has noticed but when you start a new contract or upgrade your phone, the sim gets activated by sms. these messages tell the sim what its number is and some other stuff. this must mean that you could clone a sim by sending sim update sms messages to it.

i dont know how but its just an idea.

there are things that we would need to know like whats in these messages etc.

im sorry if this seems like a stupid idea

Yotamz
26-06-2003, 12:54 PM
it'n not a stupid idea at all, but i don't think it's that simple, because there are no secrets in this subject, i mean if there is a code after a day all the world knows about it. so if there was an "activation sms", that everyone can send to each other, it's only a matter of time before everyone will use it.

maybe an activation sms works only when the sim is empty, with no number programmed on it.

but are you sure the sms really activates the sim? what do you see on the screen when recieving such message?

bobl
26-06-2003, 01:28 PM
To be honset, I agree with Yotamz. Nothing is really kept secret in the world of Nokia (apart from generation of dct3 codes :P), so if there was a simple activation SMS, it would have been leaked in my opinion.

Cheers

Bob

p.barker.3646
26-06-2003, 01:38 PM
good point!!

its strange because the sim that you get already has got a phone number but you get no signal. the operator sends you messages that your supposed to read then delete. when you read them is just says "sim update". then you have to turn the phone off then back on again. you now have signal and a new number!!! at the time i never thought of re-sending the messages but i dont think it will work like that because the messages are probably linked to the phnes serial no and the sim no. we need more information!!!

Yotamz
26-06-2003, 03:45 PM
there are many kinds of special sms messages, like i know that our gsm service providers send a wap-configuration sms. when you buy a new phone and you don't know the wap setting, you can send a sms with some word in it to the service number and you get a sms message that updates the wap settings, maybe this can be done also with sim-related settings like the phone number.

i know how to generate wap-settings messages myself (using logomanager), but i've never heard of sim-activation sms.

but, who knows, maybe there things that we don't know...well, we have to wait for someone to recieve a message like that, and maybe it will be possible to read it from the phone using a data cable and find out how to send it.

shmike
27-06-2003, 08:43 AM
p.barker.3646, I can confirm that you are correct.

I have cloned my sim onto a silver wafer card by installing a sim card "emulator" program on the wafer card called SimEmu. There are 2 identification numbers that are encrypted on a sim card, and are known as the Ki and IMSI numbers. These numbers are what identifies you with your cellular network.

Once you know these numbers of a sim, you can clone it. Now with SimEmu, there's two ways you can set these numbers into your blank wafer card with the program installed:

1. Through the sim services menu
2. By sending/saving a SMS message on the card that contains Ki and IMSI information

So yes, a network can active sims via SMS.

This is just a summary. For more complete information, you shoulc check up the Sim Cloning section of this forum and also check out the SimEmu site http://www.simemu.cjb.net

bobl
27-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Well I just learnt something and realised something I posted was incorrect on an other thread.

Cheers for that shmike, making me look like a fool and all :D

Bob

shmike
27-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Hehehe. Well learnt something, as you say you did - there's nothing "foolish" about that. :)

p.barker.3646
28-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks shmike i thought there must be a way

i can get an upgrade on my phome in september so i will see what i can find out about the messages, thats if the phone doesnt take out any of the info (like in logomanager when you can save logos so you can send them later dont work on 6210/7110 cause they alter the massage)

we will just have to see unless anyone has any more information

thanks again

Yotamz
29-06-2003, 01:14 PM
@shmike

is this program available in english?

--edit--
i found the english version, for everyone who want it, here (http://alf.di.fct.unl.pt/simemu6/)

shmike
29-06-2003, 01:24 PM
@Yotamz

Yep, its available in English. It can be found on the English translated site that was made by Alf. A link to it is on the main SimEmu page.

I would post it here, except Daniel (the author of SimEmu) does not like it being posted, as there was at one stage a version that wasn't his, and most likely contained a virus. This has all been cleaned up now.

The main SimEmu page is the best bet for the latest and best working version of the program.

EDIT: I just realised the edit now too. :)