PDA

View Full Version : A simple tutorial please?

Matrixxx
06-06-2002, 04:19 PM
Hi
I am new here since I have discovered I can change my 6150 software.
I have version 5.20 and I would like to update it to 5.23 if something nice is added.
I've read that t9 is added but not from all files in the net.
Can someone explain me please the differencies between Partial Flash and Full flash, what the address start is, the best program to use, what kind of cable is needed (I have one to link it to nokia data suite o nokia logo manager), is it dangerous? possible to undo?
Thanks a lot to the helpers.

Mauro

slikmik
10-06-2002, 08:28 PM
Hi im Mike,

Ok the differences - partial flashes are a small portion of memory that are written to the fone to stop it checking sim card and allow any to be accepted, not dealt with as much now. FULL flashes are the portion of the fone which contains MCU + PPM + Eeprom, the MCU is basically the OS of the fone (kinda) the PPM is the portion of it where the different languages are stored and the Eeprom is where user data is stored, the standard start address of the fone is

(two hundred thousand)

The lengths of the MCU and PPM vary for each fone.
To flash a upgrade like you do, you need to replace the fones "OS" by overwriting the MCU of the fone, but also the PPM as the two have to have the same version, so what you need to do is with a PARALLEL cable flash backup of a 6150 v5.23 MCU + PPM - about 2 megs in size to your fone, now when this is done the fone may say contact service, if it does cry.... no just connect a DATA cable (serial) to your fone + pc and using whatever you want (NokTool 1.8 etc) update FAID its somethin to do with ID of something - all i know is you need to update it so click da button and hopefully all should be well underway....

NEVER have i updated software so the above could be bollox, if so please join in and teach me and the guy above exactly how to do it, but in my eyes the above should work....

Mike

www.UnlockThatNokia.co.uk

Matrixxx
12-06-2002, 04:02 PM
Ciao Mike and thanks for your notes.
Yes, I have tried to read something with my serial cable but no way.
My question is, since I have built my serial cable from the headphone and to still use the headphone I have used a little connector in the cable between the phone connector and the serial pc connector I can use as many type of cables and connectors I want. I had the schematics for the pin cabling of the serial pc connector but I do not have the one for the parallel connector. Do you know where I can find it so I can reuse my phone cable?

Once it works, if I backup my phone data and then kill it trying to save some full flash files will I be able to restore the original setup with the backup file?

Thanks
Mauro

treazoNOKIA
17-06-2002, 08:07 PM
you can save your phone if you have made a full flash backup.

Mike - when upgrading/unlocking the 511/611/711 series we need to update faid..how r u doing this as my auto switching cable is not recognised by the tools i use...what tools are you using and what cables. cheers