PDA

View Full Version : IMEI Changing

GhostFace.P
07-06-2002, 11:12 PM
it's ok, i checked through and wnite's site has got al lthe virgin eeproms, but the only thing is now, how do i go about changing the IMEI?

i can try using b-phreaks eeprom tools but that doesn't work very well for me for some reason, maybe it's my cables.

are there any good tutorials out there?

green gerbil
08-06-2002, 06:37 PM
use nokiatool 1.8 by rollis to do Imei changing.

GhostFace.P
08-06-2002, 08:39 PM
I've taken a look at nokiatool1.8 by rolis but that's just confused me, are there any tutorials out there that i can use?

GhostFace.P
08-06-2002, 09:09 PM
I used Nokia Tool v3.03 by Jordik to do it, was much easier.

Thanx for all your help.

I just wondered if you coudl tell me what exactly an FAiD is. Apart from knowing it's some sort of checksum, i don't know much else about it.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

green gerbil
09-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Its the flash authority ID. Its basically the checksums of the whole flash and some other stuff. Its designed to prevent unauthorized reflashes of phones. If your flash checksum doesnt match the faid checksum then the phone won't let you find service.

DavieB
09-06-2002, 11:28 PM
FAiD is essentially a checksum - but not in the scrictest sense of the word (it's not a sum or xor of certain bytes)
It consists of the mcu/ppm checksum, msid (random byte, other checksums, etc), etc

The reason its there is, as green gerbil says, to prevent unauthorised flashing...

When your phone tries to use certain features (e.g. network logon) the FAiD is calculated then checked against the stored value in the EEPROM/E(mulated)EEPROM (E2PROM/E3PROM) - if they dont match the phone gives very strange results!

The FAiD is part of the phones security data in the E2PROM/E3PROM - this data also includes IMEI data, SPLock data, etc.

Erm - Can't think of anything else that can be said aside from hey bro, sup? :)

Rgds