PDA

View Full Version : What is Flashing???

aazain
03-07-2003, 07:59 AM
I'm a beginner when it comes to mobile hardware/software alteration.
I hear a lot of talk on flashing phones!?! can someone explain what exactly does flashing mean?? and how is it done?? does flashing require special hardware/software?? etc.

Xeoninho
03-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Hi...

Well..flashing...

I don't know if u are into technology or computer terms... so if u don't get it, tell me....

Normally the phone's software which is the program that actually lets you do stuff with your phone (as windows \ linux does to your PC), is stored on ROM (Read Only Memory) which basically cannot be erased\modified by a normal user. That memory apart from getting your phone working, also defines if your phone is blocked to a network \ card or both, or not. Flashing is the term used to describe the process of erasing that ROM (Fully or partially). Normally it's used (mostly) for unlocking phones, and sometimes aswell to fix Bugs (coding errors) on the Software. To check your version do a *0000# on you mobile (nokia brand only).

To flash a phone you normally need to have knowledge of what u'r doing (I've seen lots of phones f*cked by ppl which didn't knew what they're doing), an F-Bus or M-Bus cable (which I don't remember which of them, i can just remember that it connects to a Parallel port (printer port) ) or a Box (which basically is a cable connected to a box that has multiple plugs where u can connect the correct ends for each phone without having to buy the whole cable), and correct software for the type of phone (model) and the its software version, because not all software works with every phone \ software combination.

Hope I helped.
C Ya.

(please somebody corrects me if I'm wrong).

alifia
03-07-2003, 05:25 PM
to flash nokia series 60 like 7650 or 3650 you cannot using mbus / fbus cable ,must using grifin box with grifin software, fbus and mbus cable only work for nokia DCT3 or DCT4

aazain
03-07-2003, 08:09 PM
Is it possible to unlock phones only with software?? where can I get such software for free??

are there different flash files for different purposes... i.e. a flash file for changing language, another flash file for software version.. and so on... or have I got it all worng??

alexmae
05-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Xeoninho

To check your version do a *0000# on you mobile (nokia brand only)

the correct code is *#0000#
see ya