PDA

View Full Version : "updating SIM card" message when using 3G sim in 2G phones

rajSE
10-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Hi,

I am trying to use 3G UK sim in a nokia phone, as the operator has 2G roaming agreement with O2. The probelem seems to be that the only phones that I have found to work are SPV and T100. Most other phoes give a message like "updating SIM card" (Nokia), or "refreshing SIM" (Samsung), others like Motorola and SE have the network selection menue dissapear. I want to be able to use my nokia, given that they are the most user friendly, and reliable phones. I absolutly detest the NEC e606.

Does anyone here know of a way that I can prevenet the phone from trying to update SIM, as the message stays on forever!!! and you cant use the phone at all while it does this.

As soom as the phone logs on to O2, if I am fast then I can mkae a call, but as son as I end, if goes back to the message, please help me try and remove this message.

Thanks

jagajutt
03-08-2003, 04:47 PM
i also wish to use a 3G sim in another fone
any ideas???
Does it def work in a T100 and SPV ???

Best Regards

Jag

PS. I tried to do a search, but finding something on 3G or 3 is bloddy hard what with the 4 letter limit :)
Sorry if this has been covered before

rajSE
04-08-2003, 01:14 PM
yeah, it definatly works on the T100, and SPV. I have tried that, and it has worked.

rajSE
12-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Thank you for that suggestion, I have an old 3410, and would be very greatful if you could post the flsh and some details here on how to do it.

If its possible to get rid of the "updating SIM" problem by flashing the phone with a and updated network list, is it not possible to flash a DCT4 phone in a similar way, is there anyone out there who can modify existing flash for DCT4 with a new one that has a network list which includeds "3".
I would ideally want to use my "3" SIM in my 6610 or 6100 if possible.

Thanks you for your help in advance

Raj

justfona
12-08-2003, 05:40 PM
I'll get the flash uploaded tonight for you and give you the instructions on how to do it......its very striaght forward. As for a DCT4 Flash files i havent played around with them very much but will look into it for you

justfona
12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Forgot to mention......you can modify the flash yourself using a nice little program called PPM MANAGER or another one called PPM SPLITTER

justfona
13-08-2003, 05:06 AM
I have the full flash as promised. I know its not the most recent one but it does work 100% on the "3" Network. Good Luck!

rajSE
13-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the flash,

but where have you uploaded to?? Would i be able to use PPM to edit as DCT4 flash to include "3" in the network list???

Thanks

Raj

justfona
17-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Raj. If you still need that flash I will have to email you it. I tried numerous times to upload onto this thread but with no joy. So please provide me with your email address, you can send it to me via my email and we'll get that much needed flash to you.

rajSE
19-08-2003, 03:08 PM
could you please email it to [email protected]

thanks

justfona
29-08-2003, 09:21 PM
BIG!!! Problem with updated/modified flash files for "3" Network

I have had to delete my post with regard to the updated flash files for using the phone on the "3" Network. It has since been brought to my attention that even with an updated/modified flash on your phone the "updating sim" problem still persists!!!! Its all down to 3's roaming agreement with O2 (In the UK its O2. Maybe different in other countries. For discriptive purposes I'm explaning the problem for UK). When you are in 3's own network area the phone will work 100% no problems at all.....its when you use O2's network that it all starts with the updating sim crap!!! Sadly there is no way of getting round this until "3" expand their network.

parm_j
11-11-2003, 02:52 PM
I have the full flash as promised. I know its not the most recent one but it does work 100% on the "3" Network. Good Luck!

please can u send me the flash

andnich
21-11-2003, 01:36 PM
I bought a motorola on the 3 g network 2 weeks ago and was told that the sim would not work at all because 3 had blocked the sim card, I've been trying the sim in variious phones and this morning I dug out an old Nokia 3310 and it works, whats the difference between this old phone and the new Nokias??? it looks like the info I got from 3 was incorrect, My question is how do I get a 6310 I to work ???

cheers

Nick

vicky3282
12-03-2004, 06:39 PM
yeah, it definatly works on the T100, and SPV. I have tried that, and it has worked.
it doesnt work on t100 have u any ideas why

ideal786
13-04-2004, 01:06 AM
I'll get the flash uploaded tonight for you and give you the instructions on how to do it......its very striaght forward. As for a DCT4 Flash files i havent played around with them very much but will look into it for you

Hi there,

I have a nokia 6600 open to all networks. i want to use a 3g uk sim in it. I get a message "sim restricted". Is there any flash software i can download to get the 3 network on the phone so that it recognises the sim . I have a samsung e700 and 3g sim works in that, i am a nokia man and want the sim to work in the 6600. i will appreciate if some one can help me. sorry if i have posted in the wrong place i am a new member so apologies dor any inconveniance.

ideal786
13-04-2004, 01:39 AM
please can u send me the flash
Hi Justafona,

Can you please sned me the flash for nokia 6600 to work on 3G. I will highly appreciate it. Many thanks

Regards

Anduin
23-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Just FYI, i put a 3 sim into a T630 the other day and it worked 100% on O2

:)

rayrayy0
24-04-2004, 11:13 AM
yeah, it definatly works on the T100, and SPV. I have tried that, and it has worked.does the samsung t100 work on 3g simcard and are \all the menus ok

SmallGiraffe
24-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Ok guy's

Here's a little trick that used to work, eventually 3 do block this, the only way for you to keep it going is to not switch your phone off + this will only work on some nokia phones.

1) insert 3g sim and switch phone on

IMPORTANT - you must have a pin request on SIM card (not sure why ?)

2) As phone boots after inserting pin, keep tapping menu button, you should have just a few moments to do this before "Updating sim " message appears, once your in the menu it won bring up meassage.

3) next, go into settings, network, network selection and choose manual, after a few minutes it should bring up list of opperators, choose O2.

4) after choosing O2 just exit back into main menu, should say O2 3 on screen and should work from then on.

Like I say it dosnt work on all nokia phones and after a while 3 caught on to mine and sent me a new sim card which when you put it in Nokia it just says "SIM Card rejected" when it does that you've got no chance !

Let me know how you get on !