View Full Version : Where is the FAID stored?
When updating the FAID, what are you effecting? It is in the EEPROM isn't it?
I ask this, because when uploading a DEADFAIDed 3410 flash, you must set the FAID once, using say, NokTool by Rolis.
However, if I go back to my original full backup...MCU+PPM+EEPROM, that will work because the FAID will have been overwritten...? Or?
So I wouldn't need to set the FAID after a full backup upload?
Cheers
Bob
slikmik
23-07-2003, 09:19 PM
mmm interesting question
not too sure i believe you have to set it once to sync the soft with a cobba signature or something - REALLY not too sure though
Regards
Mike
Good question bob!
"Easy" to find out though... if you flash a different version/set FAID and then reflash with a full flash it may or may not need FAID setting again. If it's stored in EEPROM then you won't need to, if it's in COBBA/elsewhere then you will!
Another way is to flash a different version, take a full backup. Update FAID and take another full backup. Compare the backups with a hex editor and any differences should be FAID... although from what I've seen today PMM contents change quite frequently and could mislead...
If someone wants to try this, I'd be very interested in the result... :D
George
GeeZuZz
23-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Yes that is a very good question.
If it was possible to transfer the FAID part of the old EEPROM to a new modified flash, you wouldn't need a mbus cable...
Don't you need an Mbus for setting the IMEI?
But beside that, on a 3410 the FAID cannot be set properly, so we use DEADFAID. Think about this, after setting the FAID as DEADFA1D, if something goes wrong, I reupload the full backup...
How do I set the FAID for the full backup?
Do I have to kill the FAID on the backup...or do nothing? If do nothing, why do nothing?
Cheers
Bob
Originally posted by bobl
Don't you need an Mbus for setting the IMEI?Yeeeeeesssss..... if you want to do it the easy way that is. Real men edit the EEPROM flash :)
But beside that, on a 3410 the FAID cannot be set properly, so we use DEADFAID. Think about this, after setting the FAID as DEADFA1D, if something goes wrong, I reupload the full backup... How do I set the FAID for the full backup?FAID is stil updated once for DEADFA1D... but then all "custom" flashes have the same checksum so no more updates are needed. To answer the original question (where is FAID stored) - I think it's in COBBA otherwise we'd not have to do the single FAID update...
Do I have to kill the FAID on the backup...or do nothing? If do nothing, why do nothing?I'd do both! Keep a full backup, untouched, somewhere safe. If you need to reflash it, use g3n0lite to kill all the checks before flashing it back. You still have the original if everything goes tits up :)
Someone has to ask.... have you read the FAQ? :D :D :D :D
George
When updating the FAID, what are you effecting? It is in the EEPROM isn't it?
yes, 12 byte eeprom data
liteFun
24-07-2003, 03:45 PM
at least in my 5510, faid is stored on eeprom.
and yes, you can flash your phone without mbus cable.
just make your mod or upgrade, then add your eeprom after it to make fubu, then use in knokphoenix "simulate flashing" and set correct faid, after that flash it to phone (set simulate off).
but that way flash can be damaged easier, if you take fubu and mod it...
this worked on my 3330, was a surprise for me. and the flashes were 3310 original 06.07 and modded 06.07, both with different faid. i really used only flash cable, no mbus at all.
LOL, I forgot to read the FAQ jeep ;)
Cheers guys for all your replies, I think I established the order in what to do if something goes wrong:
DEADFA1D my original fubu and upload that. (Won't need to set the faid i presume)
If that doesn't work, upload my original fubu and set faid.
I guess...:)
Well, when my flash cables come I'm gonna take a few readings of my flash with different programs, hopefully they'll come out the same....My next step is to upgrade it to 5.30...then the cool modded one...:)
Cheers
Bob
g3gg0
26-07-2003, 11:08 PM
faid is stored in EEPROM area...
neither in COBBA nor elsewhere.. just eeprom
Okay geggo, so the Mbus cable is completely useless for flashing :)
The IMEI can be set by editing the flash, the flash can come as a fubu with the faid set correctly on it :)
Cheers
Bob
you still need data cable..
>>change imei in flash...
did you try that?:cool:
>>flash comes as fubu...
you still ned to set FAId once in phone, cos that checksum is built on COBBA ID as well as ppm check..
COBBA ID is specific to each handset
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.