PDA

View Full Version : CEIR - barred phones to go worldwide?? -NEWS-

Thanh
31-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Hello :)
Is it possible that barred phones soon will be COMPLETELY useless? I got this from the "Bangkok Post" english newspaper, yesterday, july 30th.
Quote:

"D-TAC backs fight against phone theft"
"D-TAC is moving to prevent mobile phone theft by co-operating with the GSM association to share information on stolen handsets >TO BLOCK THEIR USAGE ON ANY GSM NETWORK GLOBALLY<.
Co-chief executive Vichai Bencharongkul said D-TAC was the first local participant in the Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) system to share International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) codes of stolen phones.
He said customers whose handsets have been stolen should call 02-202-7191 to report the 15-digit IMEI codes."

I thought this info could be usefull for you guys...... when trading barred phones from one country to another. Seems it's soon over.
Kind regards....
Thanh

TomTanderson
31-07-2003, 09:24 AM
And about time to.

The vast majority are stolen (often involving violence or the threat of it) so good riddence to the trade and the scum who indulge in it.

God knows why its even allowed here.

Tom

slikmik
31-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Well two views here

bad for folk who have a phone with imei barred

good for folk with expensive fones that dread having them robbed (like me:rolleyes: )

Im sure by the time this is enforced changing the imei chip in dct4's will be childs play :p

Mike

pico
31-07-2003, 05:00 PM
theres a way to change dct4 imei without replacing the uem, but its not available..
maybe that would come in time.:confused:

TomTanderson
31-07-2003, 06:12 PM
I don't understand why people don't get this.

New phones use a ONE TIME programmable chip to store the IMEI. THERE IS NO WAY TO CHANGE IT ONCE PROGRAMMED. You can only replace the chip with a new one which is not a trivial job.

This is a good thing that helps stop the trade in stolen phones.

Tom

TomTanderson
31-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by slikmik
Well two views here

bad for folk who have a phone with imei barred

good for folk with expensive fones that dread having them robbed (like me:rolleyes: )

Mike

So bad for thieving scum and good for honest people. I can cope with that. :D

Tom

pico
31-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by TomTanderson
I don't understand why people don't get this.

New phones use a ONE TIME programmable chip to store the IMEI. THERE IS NO WAY TO CHANGE IT ONCE PROGRAMMED. You can only replace the chip with a new one which is not a trivial job.

This is a good thing that helps stop the trade in stolen phones.

Tom

man, you can change the imei-without change uem..
it is possible to write OTP memory, more than once.. if you know how:)

TomTanderson
31-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Well go on.....enlighten us.........

Tom

lonegunman
31-07-2003, 08:23 PM
It can be done, but you need a lot of nokia service stuff to do it plus someone at nokia to make the log file for you, this if you do seach has been covered a few times on here, I'm sure I posted the how to on here some time ago.

If you read about OTP in depth you can see how to crack it and write a new IMEI number to the phone.

Also for the low life's who do the stealing of phones and find it barred after a while you will need to fork out around £60 to get the IMEI number changed on the phone and still it may not work as the software out there only has about 200 numbers on it and do you not think the networks know the numbers and have already barred them?

TomTanderson
31-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the comment.

I did try a search for OTP before but the search engine insists on strings longer than 3 letters :S

I know you can replace the UEM and reprogram but have not seen any method that allows you to reprogram a UEM that has already been programmed.

I always tend to be a bit sceptical about these sorts of claims (particuarly when people say its possible but don't say how) but thats cos I'm a cynical old bastard.

Tom

pico
31-07-2003, 08:43 PM
type it in google not nfree ;)
btw, when you have said something online- maybe 10 times already, it can be a pain to type it again:)