PDA

View Full Version : How to test Nokia's???

chunkhead
04-08-2003, 08:26 AM
I am now getting more and more interested in the hardware side of repairs! I have a multimeter and all that, but I now have a small problem! I have realised in order to check voltages and currents and the like, the phones ned power... but the battery is in the way! How can I power it and still have access to the board? Do I need to build a jig or something? Can anybody possibly give me some poiters? Any help is much appreciated!:p :(

sergo_zmeia
04-08-2003, 08:44 AM
I cant remember the link but somewhere on the net I have seen special boards /for dct3 phones/ ...How it works: the diasebled pnene /PCB and LCD borard/ are placed on this special board ..it has external power so You dont need the battery..so with this tool You can measure all the test points/ You need osciloscope too/ ... the price was about 100 USD for a board
The other way is to build a stend by yourself /I working on this wrigt now...to simulate the battery You need a thermocouple K tipe and DC power supply. The major problem is with battery connector I cant find a way to attach it to disasemled PCB but I hope Ill fix it out soon and than Ill post a diagram..
Hope that helps /I found the site in google/
Regards!
Sergo_Zmeia

sk8ter
04-08-2003, 09:05 AM
I use only the service manual and an old power adaptor with the connector cut off.
I simply iron (is this the right verb?) the wires to the GND and VBATT lines. Then take a look at the SM - the BSI needs an Battery Identification Resistor. Get one and iron it from BSI to GND. The BTEMP line must be linked to VBATT.

Good luck

PS: Always look up the resistance in the Service Manual first!

Salami1_1
04-08-2003, 04:17 PM
To test nokia
you need Service software (like wintesla/pheonix) you can use cracked versions for this functions. And run a complete selftest (works with mbus cable)

for even better testing you should use testjigs.
They are about 300 euros(this price is all 3 together, see down for cheaper test jigs) (fakes) (they works just fine ;) )
if you want originals you are going to have to pay about 800 euros (and they are not easy to get)
You can also just buy Neelix III pro (just contact me) they come with a couple testjigs for dct4 phones.

With best regards,
Salami1_1

sergo_zmeia
04-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Mr. salami1_1
Can You post some more info..cause I have seen original Nokia equipment and it cost around 100 000 euros....keeping in mind that we are some kind of thieves I think that we have to find another ways to test nokia phones .....
Hope You will answer this replay..
Regards!
Sergo_Zmeia

Salami1_1
04-08-2003, 04:54 PM
the fps-4 box en the othes nokia equipment is certainly NOT cheap (couple thousand $$) but not 100000 that's bit overdone..
Neelix III pro is delivered with:
3 TestJigs for 33xx 82xx and 83-65 models.

Those jigs can also be bought loose.
and I do not see myself as a thieve..
those equipment can be bought totatlly legal..
and I do nothing but legal things :)

WBR

marky752000
04-08-2003, 05:52 PM
@Chunkhead

try www.excelldirect.co.uk not trying to advertise them but I use them for parts and they are quite good,

I got the 3310 test jig for £39

Havent needed to used it yet but, it supplys power to the phone lets you put a sim card in, well have a look for your self. its not and original one, but it seemed cheap enough to me.

they also do a 8210 test jig which is very similar,

also as mentioned by Salami1_1 go to www.jicelectronics.com the company that make neelix 1, 2 and 3 ( I use Neelix 2 for DCT4 flashing and it is very good) and see what they have to offer, I have never bought directly from them but they seem to be fairly reputable, and also seem to know there stuff when it comes to hardware repair

hope this helps

mark

Salami1_1
04-08-2003, 06:25 PM
not a bad site indeed!
also nice price for those testjigs.

WBR

pico
04-08-2003, 06:38 PM
if you really just want to "try before buy", you can make your own test jigs..
just use an old housing from the phone type you want to test..
just used to rest the board on., cut out the middle part of the back housing, to allow access to both sides.
rig up to power supply, and as above remember to put some resistance on BSI pin..

bobl
04-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Hmm, I know I ain't a moderator, but these sort of threads tend to get turned into advertising thread...before a moderator starts to edit/delete/lock/ban lets censor ourselves. I know it's easy to give URLs as examples, and I see no advertising here...but lets not post any more URLs unless the prices are earth shattering :)

Hardware doesn't really interest me, but I can see this is a pretty important topic. For those that own a test-jig, is it really worth that much money? Can't you just use a Mbus cable, a T6 screwdriver, a hair dryer etc..:D?

Or does it really make that difference?

Just out of interest ;)

Cheers

Bob

NokDoc
04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Hi,

>> Hmm, I know I ain't a moderator...

Bob, I don't wanna upset U, but U are one.

And U just gave guite a good reason for what might happen in threads like these.

Well done, thanks.

NokDoc

pico
04-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Can't you just use a Mbus cable, a T6 screwdriver, a hair dryer etc..?

the jig is for powering the phone on when you only have the PCB in your hands..
this way, you can access the test points (or any other point of interest) on the board, in order for measuring voltage.
this way you can easilly see, which IC or component is faulty.

Salami1_1
04-08-2003, 09:02 PM
of course it makes a difference..
if you want to offer good quality repair service to your customers.. you ain't going to use a HAIRDRYER!!!

That would be very stupid.. nowedays hardware repair becomes more and more an important business.. this because it separates the more professionals from the sunday unlockers in a certain way..
just look at nokia for example... EVERYBODY (even a kid from 6 years old) can unlock a nokia DCT4..
and I hate that! people who FUCK the martket and want nothing but free things....
It's also very stupid why give something for free if you can make some money out of it.. (now don't come with that bullshit not everything is about money.. no of course not .. but gsm business is!)
it's not bad some older programs are given away for free.. but some people really go to far... (they do it on purpose to destroy some other people their businesses)

just my 2 cents and I think lot of peopel will agree :)

WBR

P.s you kinda right this is going bit of topic :D
sorry mod ;)

chunkhead
05-08-2003, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the replies! I have tried to build a 33xx jig using an old housing, which is wired to another battery connector, which in turn is held down to the contacts on the pcb by a plastic contraption I made! It doesn't work but...!:(

marky752000
05-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Bob

Hardware doesn't really interest me, but I can see this is a pretty important topic. For those that own a test-jig, is it really worth that much money? Can't you just use a Mbus cable, a T6 screwdriver, a hair dryer etc..?

Never needed to use my test jig, (wouldnt know what to test if I did).

But it seem like a good idea as I learn more and more about hardware repairing.

Most of the repairs that I do at the moment don't require hardware repair, its just simple part replacing ( LCD's, Speakers, mic's that sort of thing) and flashing which seems to be able to fix just about anything.

Indeed I know the lads who work in the local Nokia service centre it only a level 2 centre which means flashing a part replacing, they don't do any component testing or replacing, and they told me that they fix on average 7 out of 10 DCT3's and 9 out of 10 DCT4's

Added to this the cost of getting professinal hardware training and the cost of decent the repair equipment and its probably not that worth while, investing too much in to hardware repair