PDA

View Full Version : Picture message (SMS) format... WAP/MMS/E-Mail can?

Thanh
12-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Hello :)
I have a question regarding Nokia Picture Messages, those that can be send and received via SMS.
What format are they? I mean, such as a operator logo being a .nol file, the picture SMS also should have a file format?
I wish to create such picture with logo manager, but that can save only as a .bmp file. I want to rename it to the appropriate format and then send via E-Mail to a MMS enabled phone, is this possible?
Also, if i send a .nol file via this way, will the phone recognise it as operator logo?
Any advice is highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.....
Thanh

Shocker
12-08-2003, 11:31 AM
hello there thanh...

sorry couldnt email u or reply to u the last time...im so damn busy around nowdays...i'll try to find time to mail u back...

anyway, im not sure wat im about to post here will help u but if other people are reading this, please help...

so my problems is how do u transfer a black and white picture to a colour screen phone like 3530/3510i using a FBUS/MBUS cable and at the same time making sure the picture doesnt land it self in the gallery folder, but the template folder instead...i cant get the logomanager to run on 3510i because the phone is not supported by the programme...i dont think i use mobiMB to send this picture to my template folder coz at first place, template folder is not shown in the mobiMB when a phone is detected thru mobiMB...so please help...if u guys dont quite get the meaning of B/W picture...the attached file will definetely clear this out...

thank u again!!!

Thanh
12-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi my friend!
Yess, you got EXACTLY what i mean! To get this type of picture into the phone's "Template" folder they must be received as SMS.
Now, i want to try to send them via E-Mail or MMS as i can do thjat from my PC and don't need to have a phone connected.
If you have another phone that you can connect and use Logo Manager, just open the pic in Logo Manager and send it to the colour screen phone via SMS, it will land in Text Message Inbox from where you can move it to templates.
I want to do this in my office (create such pictures), convert them to the correct file format and send to my boyfriend's phone via e-mail, he will receive that as a MMS then, and hopefully the phone detect that picture as what it is and stores it in text messages.
Therefor i need to know what file format is a "Text-Picture"..? Might be ".ota" but not sure......
Thanks for advice!
your Thanh

Shocker
14-08-2003, 07:13 AM
hie there again thanh,

i've been looking for the answers to these questions that u asked here but honestly i couldnt find any solutions to these problems where we cant send a BW picture message to a phone which supports a BW pictures together with those colour ones...i can only receive this kind of pictures thru SMS but the thing is it is surely expensive if u want a picture but have to dial a number or pay for it to get the respective pictures...

it is surely cheaper to find these pictures on the net and transfer them to phone using cable but damn, i cant seem to be able to transfer them to my phone due to software not supported by phone..even the latest logomanager 1.3 does not support this colour screen series 30 and 40 phones(DCT4)...im basically sick and tired of looking for ways to overcome this problem but still have no idea resolving the problems, so people around reading this, please help us two!!!

thank you!!

Thanh
14-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Hello my friend :)
I have a kind of "cheap" solution, but that requires a second phone......
Untill today i didn't even know logo manager does not support colour screen phones?
But you cah do what i do: If you got a b/w pic that you wish to get into the phone, to be template, resize it to the apropriate size, and open it with logo manager. Then connect ANOTHER phone (i use a 5130 for that - any supported phone can be!) to the PC and send the picture via SMS to the colour phone.
This requires sending of three separate SMS (logo manager does that automatically) so there will be costs for those 3 SMS, but that's it. The picture message will be received by the colour phone, and the picture will be in inbox, from where you can move it to templates.
Note it really doesn't matter if the "sending phone" supports such messages, as you know the 5130 does NOT but still can send them! You can even send them to yourself if you got only one SIM, just make sure that immediately after sending you turn off the sending phone, put the SIM in the colour phone and turn that on, you will receive it there :)
I have also tested that, it works, but still there are costs for 3 SMS.

Another question - as those are in fact send as three separate SMS, can someone "decode" them, is there any such program? Like OTA ringtones that can be (in logo manager) shown as plain text......... it's a shame they didn't include that in logo manager :)

Hey friend... i have a little hint how you save a *little bit* money, but it requires work..... You know those leaflets with picture messages, where you need to dial a number and they send it to you? I scan those leaflets in a high resolution and b/w, crop the picture i want, resize it to a picture message size, save as .bmp and open it in logo manager.... then send to myself, which cost me 9 Baht - opposed to the usual procedure, where "ordering by dialing that number" will be billed with 15 Baht :) The good thing is, you may modify that picture in logo manager, such as i do, the text beside Bird's (my favourite thai singer) picture is thai, i can delete and put my own text there :) Makes them unique :)

Kindest regards...
your Thanh

Shocker
14-08-2003, 06:48 PM
hello thanh,

i fully understand with wat u are trying to tell me but the thing is that i dont really have a second phone with me because when i bought my 3510i, i trade in my 3350 so that i'll get a better price on buying a colour screen model...

even before u expain this method here though, i already had thought about it but i simply dont have another phone model with me at the moment,...so this method is considered gone case or useless!! even so if i have another model with me, sending this pics thru sms is also costing money, on top of that for 3 sms charges instead of 1 sms...somehow this is a way worth trying, but certainly not a cost-effective/cost saving measure!!!

on the other issue how to get pics thru calling-a-specific-phone numbers-leaflets, that is one way to do it, but requires a little bit of work like u said...but there is another way of doing them by using logomanager....but this time retrieving them off from internet instead of brochures like u explained before..

u see when u search around in websites on the internet, sometimes u will get to see these operator logos and BW picture messages, u can capture them by using the capture feature of logomanager from the file > capture > capture logo/capture area.....but before capturing a operator logo or picture message, make sure the website is being shown opened on the back of the logomanager...so either by using the shortcut option or going thru file menu, capture the desired pics or logo that u wanted, once captured, the image captured will be shown in logomanager, save the image and voila, u have a pic message or logo..if lets say u are not satisfied with wat u captured, discard the earlier captured image and recapture the image wanted...requires quite a patience and percission, so good luck on this!!!

Thanh
15-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi again :)
Thank you so much for reply....
However, the described method to get those pictures off the websites looks a bit difficult.... it's easier to simply right-click the desired image and "save image as".... then, with logomanager, "File"->"open" and voila...... done :)
If they are in wrong size, simply use any photo editing software and resize to 14x74 or whatever the size is (i can never remember... sorry for that) and save, THEN open with logo manager :) Still easier as that "capture" method which i never used.
What does actually happen when you connect your colour screen phone via a F/M-bus cable and start logo manager?
I have read quite some threads where people say they can use logo manager with 6610's and 7210's... so the 3530 or 3510i should work also?? I can't test it myself as i do still not have a data cable. Hee hee but now at least i got a FLASHER for DCT-3 models - i build it myself! And it's got a straight-thru connection for M/F-bus cables, too.... serial, of course. So i guess my next step is to buy (ouch... if only i had money.....) a cheap headset with pop-port connector and build myself a little f-bus or m-bus cable for the pop-port connection (i need only a pop-port connector, a serial connector and a foot of 4-wire-cable) and test this bitch :)
What sort of connection does the 3510i have - sort of like 3310, under the battery? Does it eventually use the very same data cable? I still got one of those, but no phone........ i'd like to test it for you :)
Kind regards.....
your Thanh

Shocker
18-08-2003, 07:48 AM
hello again,

sorry for the slightly late reply...got classes over the weekend..anyway, the reason i explained to u about the capture feature of logomanager is that because u can use it on those specific websites which advertises the graphics such as operator logo and picture messages but disables the feature for right clicking on the images for business and copyright protection, so here the capture function is quite useful although i realize there is other method of capturing this kind of graphics thru the net such as by Print-Screen:D .....

well on the 2nd question, whenever i connect my 3510i, the logomanager program become choppy, crashy and hangs after that...i have to end task the program and restart logomanager again if i need to use it, but with out connecting it to 3510i...once it displays, accessories not supported when i connected my phone using a F/M bus cable to logomanager...:confused:

so if u read some thread which says that 6610 and 7210 can be used with logomanager, so i guess there shouldnt be any problems if i connect it to my 3510i but the real deal here is there is no official support for any colour screen from logomanager makers...so this where the problems happens to take place!!.....anyway, there was once where i had the experience of using a 7210 at my work place using a friends phone and connect it to laptop using a IR..the logomanager detected the 7210 but became very unstable after that...so still i tried to send a picture message thru IR, not cable but there was no notification that the phone received the image, so after some thorough checking, the picture was found saved in template folder finally...

the last question u asked was about the connection, so 3510i/3530 uses almost the same connection like the 3310/3350/3315 cable which is underneath battery compartment but of course these cable for 3310 etc cannot be used with 3510 etc because of different pin outs on the dongle....so there goes the chance...:) :D :)