PDA

View Full Version : Blast virus

t_1357
14-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Anyone been hit with the Blast virus, been having loads of problems at work and at home, managaed to get it deleted but it is really irritating.

-AMO-
15-08-2003, 01:03 AM
If you have or had the MSBlast worm....

Download FIXBlast.exe (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe) this will remove the MSBlast.exe from your system32 folder and fix registry, it will then direct you to the windows security patch. (Downloading the security patch alone will not remove the virus from your PC if it has already gained access.)

After all of this get a firewall, anti-virus and ad-aware if you don't have it.

Safe surfing, -AMO- ;)

bobl
16-08-2003, 02:31 PM
Yep, even unpatched systems are protected by firewalls, if you're very new to firewalls and unsure, try ZoneAlarm, very simple to use and free..

However, if you want more control, Agnitum Outpost Firewall is very good, and also comes free...

(Pro versions are available for money :D)

Cheers

Bob

ukmdb
20-08-2003, 08:18 PM
I work for a large IT Company and just about every customer who has called has had the blaster worm.

Glad to see you talking about firewalls.
Don't forget XP has a built in firewall but is not enabled by default.
So you have to enable it yourself.
It is nothing special but it stops this kind of thing from happening.

Should anyone else get this then reconnect to the internet and when you get the shutdown message come up.
Just click on Start > Run > type in shutdown -a and then OK
that closes the shutdown box and keeps your computer connected to download removal tools.

WARNING.
There a some sites now showing a popup box with the same shutdown message, People are assuming it is the virus but it is not. Just a pop up message to scare people.

What ever next. ?

t_1357
21-08-2003, 05:52 PM
I managed to get hold of a program (stinger) from someone which was quite good, after the file was deleted I managed to switch the firewall back on.

Apparently there are a few more viruses going round such as the Big virus. When will they stop, gets annoying.