PDA

View Full Version : Led Change (difficult Or Not)

tazman
12-07-2002, 08:32 PM
HI
I HAVE TRIED TO CHANGE LED'S ON SOME OLD 3310 MOTHERBOARDS I HAVE--- BUT I FIND THIS VERY HARD TO DO.....DO ANY OF U GUYS FIND THIS DIFFICULT............OR EASY ????????
LET US KNOW........EASY.......OR HARD
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BUT I WILL KEEP ON PRACTISING BUT RUNNING OUT OF MOTHERBOARDS
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I DON'T LIKE BEING BEAT ON THINGS LIKE THIS LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON CHANGING LED'S

:mad: :confused:

Sdriver^
13-07-2002, 08:57 AM
Heh ;D Try lay off the caps lock.

As for your question matey, well, basically its very hard, and very time consuming. Patience is a very big virtue when it comes to changing leds. But after your 3rd or 4th successful change, using the right tools, tricks and tips you can get it down to a swift 30 minutes like I have.

Indeed, for someone like yourself I'd recommend:
http://www.bluled.co.uk

Just don't break your leds off, its hard to fix the missing tracks ;D

Take care,
Kris

mycomms
13-07-2002, 02:46 PM
come on man...its very simple job...i can be able to change all LEDs in less than 15 mins...i am sure anyone could do that...just need practising...cos practise makes perfect.

roughrider202
13-07-2002, 04:18 PM
i agree with mycomms

it is very easy all you need is practice if you already have soldering experience then it is simply.

roughrider202

Sdriver^
14-07-2002, 07:23 AM
Does this dude sound like he's an experienced solderer? I mean, how many boards has he gone through? Do you get what I'm saying.

Its hard to get used to, especially if you're not used to working with such minute parts.

And you've got to be full of shit if you can honestly claim changing the LED's on a 3310 Keypad and Screen in under 15 minutes using a pencil soldering iron @ 15 watts. Seriously. I can vouch for 30 minutes. But 15 minutes is absolute crap. The only person I know who can do LED change on a 3310 under 30 minutes is a mate of mine who has a custom designed solder suction/pressure gun thing.

Kind regards,
Kris

roughrider202
14-07-2002, 07:31 AM
hi mate are you reffering to me,

as i never said i could change the leds in a 3310 in 15mins. but i can do it pretty quick i dont sit there and time myself as then you would be rushing and mess up phones.

roughrider202

Sdriver^
14-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Nah I was referring to MyComms. It was pretty obvious.

Besides, quality over quantity if you ask me. Its too easy to mess up phones when soldering. :)

Take care,
Kris

roughrider202
14-07-2002, 12:57 PM
hi mate

ye mate it is to easy to mess up phones when solidering. as you dont realise how small the componets are.

roughrider202

Kid
15-07-2002, 09:10 AM
Hi all,
Changing LED is a simple job, Mycomms was right, you can change LEDs in less than 15 mins if you are stable enough, and it'll be better if have better solderers.:)

Hmmm... 15watt solderer is kinda low, it'll be better if you get 1 with at least 30-40watt and of coz you need a very sharp tip. :)

Never rush when you are soldering, even experienced guys could make mistakes, time is not a problem anyway, it's how the job is done... good or bad. :)

Experience makes perfect, so the more you try, the better you will be.:)

cubwolf
16-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Is the 6210 as hard as it look and sounds.
I can solder very well but all that pulling off the rf sheild sounds a bit daunting:confused:

Surfy
20-07-2002, 09:42 AM
Has nobody ever tried using these.

http://www.antex.co.uk/images/products/14146rf.jpg

You can easily desolder the 3310/30 etc. LEDs in just a few seconds each. As the desoldering part is the hardest bit I don't see that 15 mins for the whole job is unreasonable.
Anyone wanna come and time me?

Regards
Surfy

mililim
28-07-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by cubwolf
Is the 6210 as hard as it look and sounds.
I can solder very well but all that pulling off the rf sheild sounds a bit daunting:confused:

No, but there very risky. Killed 1 6210 before.:(

just use a sharp and strong knife, cut the 2 side of the rf shield where the 4 LED are for the LCD, than use a piler to bend back and fore until it break. than you desolder the LED easily.

hope it helps

cheers

alf
28-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi there!
I've had my share of boo boos w/ regards to changing LEDS! One common mistake is short circuiting your board by sloppy soldering eg. too much soldering lead on your terminal plates causes unwanted bad connections.
Another is too much heat, w/c results in destroying your plates. Then you' ll have to resort to using jumpers.
I prefer soldering and desoldering using the hot air gun or BGA rework station. Be careful though, too much hot air near sensitive areas like the CCONT in 3310's could prove disastrous! It can actually kill your phone, whats worse, OTHER PEOPLES PHONE!!!! Relax, with much PATIENCE and PRACTICE you will prevail in your endeavor.

Best regards,
alf

NokiaFX
19-08-2002, 03:08 PM
The 3310/3330 is quite easy to change leds on...
The hardest part for beginners is removing the original leds, ive recommended to a few people if you dont have the proper equipment, placing one of the small screws facing upwards into some bluetac then placing the pcb on top lining the screw up with the led (on the front of the pcb), dont push down just heat each side of the led gently and the led should come out by itself without damaging the contacts...

Remember not to use too much solder neither, you shouldnt really need to use any... if you do then i recommend just a small amount of solder paste...

wfc
19-08-2002, 03:20 PM
i dont want to sound like i am blowing my trumpet too much but i can change leds on 3310s in about 10 minutes when i really want to. but this is only because i have had 8 years soldering experience in SMD and i still use a normal soldering iron to do it. but it does have a .4mm tip on it which helps heaps :)

mycomms
25-08-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by wfc
i dont want to sound like i am blowing my trumpet too much but i can change leds on 3310s in about 10 minutes when i really want to. but this is only because i have had 8 years soldering experience in SMD and i still use a normal soldering iron to do it. but it does have a .4mm tip on it which helps heaps :)

@WFC

yeah man....i agree with you...if u have more EXperience...u will be able to do it in a short while....

normally i will do 1 job in 15 mins or less...becos i always have a lot of 3310's to change LEDs...cos i do in quantities....time is precious for me...well...but i dun mind spending 3 hrs on changing a piece of 3310 LEDs....if i have the time.

mycomms
25-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Sdriver^
Does this dude sound like he's an experienced solderer? I mean, how many boards has he gone through? Do you get what I'm saying.

Its hard to get used to, especially if you're not used to working with such minute parts.

And you've got to be full of shit if you can honestly claim changing the LED's on a 3310 Keypad and Screen in under 15 minutes using a pencil soldering iron @ 15 watts. Seriously. I can vouch for 30 minutes. But 15 minutes is absolute crap. The only person I know who can do LED change on a 3310 under 30 minutes is a mate of mine who has a custom designed solder suction/pressure gun thing.

Kind regards,
Kris

@Kris

hey mate...changing LEDs is not the matter whether u are FAST or not....it depends on ya experience...and what my customers wants is...fast & a good workmanship....they can't be able to wait for you to finish 100 or more sets in 50 hrs....(each 30 mins). There is no need for you to say i am talking CRAP.....Cos There is nothing which is impossible for a person who learns & practice all the time.... PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. and maybe you will find yourself doing 1 job and requiring less than 10 mins time if u practice everytime.... Cheers ! :)

Grey_alien
29-08-2002, 06:53 AM
I think that the 3310 is a good fone for newbies to play with if they want to change led`s. If u brake the soldring where the old led`s were, it`s easy to repair. At every end of the led there is a solder pad. Use the pad if u brake the original pad, wich the original led were attached on. The extre soldering pads are also at the 3330 and 3410. Don`t worry. U`ll better worry af it`s on a 8210 or 3210 please be carefull. And play with these fones before you go on!

tazman
21-09-2002, 09:08 PM
hi guys
thanks for your tutorials and opinians now i can say that i am pretty cool at this now i have dun loads of 33xx's a couple of 8210's
and a few 3210's including the transister mod
again thanks for your help
tazman:D :) :grin:

freak
25-09-2002, 04:28 PM
its easy man, all you have to do is use 2 soldering iron or a heat gun to take off the led, i do it everyday....... :D :D

w0rf
14-02-2003, 07:19 PM
taking them off is quite easy in 3310
soldering the new is alot less..those leds arent wide enough
are better the contacts arent, so its a bitch to get them in the right place (should be 0805) .. and to hold em still

anyway, already succeeded in the keypad leds, now the lcd backlights:)

I also managed to shortcircuit and smd resistor (so that the leds didn't go out anymore) but well..managed to localize the prob quite fast:):)

anyway, if anyone has ideas to keep the new leds in place...post em:)

w0rf
15-02-2003, 02:51 AM
little update, managed to fix my first led change completely hehe:)

I got a bit courageous though, screwed up a contact (pushing too hard:D) but managed to lead the solder to another contact point (where the different layers in the pcb are connected I think)
so..could LUCKILY fix it, that part wasn't easy...

/me happy:)

mobile1
25-05-2004, 10:32 AM
hi i am a newbee just a few questions. can you use old leds off a dead pcb to put on another pcb or do they have to be new ones. if new ones are required where can i buy them from. does anyone know where i can download a tute with pictures on replacing leds on nokia 3310 8210 etc. many thanks to everyone who replies. cheers!

jarlz76
03-06-2004, 06:30 AM
hi i am a newbee just a few questions. can you use old leds off a dead pcb to put on another pcb or do they have to be new ones. if new ones are required where can i buy them from. does anyone know where i can download a tute with pictures on replacing leds on nokia 3310 8210 etc. many thanks to everyone who replies. cheers!

Here in Philippines :) .

For me, its easy to replace led backlights :) . One thing not to forget is.... safety precautions. What are they?

1] Not to overheat the component and board.
2] Not to touch other components by ur soldering tips.