PDA

View Full Version : Modded 3310 files?

fatboyjim
15-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Hi,

I've been looking round the forums for a while and found threads relating to new files to flash the Nokia 3310

Including updated flashing LEDs, animated and graphical menus etc etc

How exactly do I flash them to my phone? A while back I bought an F/M Bus cable and have already flashed my phone to a 3315

Thanks,

Jim

jeep
16-08-2003, 01:15 AM
Minor, but very important point here. You updated from 3310 to 3315, but you didn't flash from 3310-3315. To do this upgrade, as you did, you need a data cable (serial port).

The files you found need a flasher cable (parallel port) - together with either Rolis or kNok to update your phone's software. This is "flashing" as it will update the software stored in the flash memory within your phone. The 3310 and 3315 are actually exactly the same software.

Go to the download section, grab kNok and/or Rolis (that's all the software you need) and get a cable that connects to your parallel (printer) port. Don't expect them to work on the cable that connects to the serial port - it really doesn't...!

Once you've got all that (i.e. the right hardware), your problem should be solved!

Good luck, and remember to come back and tell us how you got on!

George

chunkhead
16-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Also take a look at the Forum FAQ! This will explain everything you need to know!;)

fatboyjim
16-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Oh I see, does this mean then that the forum FAQ is a little strangely worded?

"You updated from 3310 to 3315, but you didn't flash from 3310-3315"

FAQ:

"3) What is flashing?

Flashing is changing the phone's internal software, or firmware. This can be done to upgrade to a newer version which has bugs fixed, or to modify the phone's features (add ringtones, change graphics, add features). In some cases, flashing can change a phone's model. (8210 can be 8250, 3310 can be 3315)."

Either way, looks like I'll need a flasher cable, it would be pretty good to get these updated menus etc

I'll let you know what I find...!

jeep
16-08-2003, 01:25 PM
If you have an early version of 3310 software, then flashing would be required. I think it's version 5.57 onwards that doesn't need this. The two phone models have exactly the same software in them - so you would need to flash to v5.57+ if you had an early version, but not if you already have a later version. Hope that makes sense?

Flasher diagram has been posted many times, here's a post with it:
dejan flasher diagram (http://nokiafree.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20597)

George

fatboyjim
16-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Ah right! Thanks for the explanation, I had a 5.57 already

Would I need a flasher cable to upgrade to 6.04? OK silly question, it's yes

Jim

bobl
16-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Well, to clear things up, you can actually flash upgrade a phone as well...e.g.

Take a 3310 (Any version), flash a 3315 6.07 flash (Often refered to as a 3310 6.07), and it'll be a 3315. (Assuming you update the eeprom or used a Full Flash)

But I can see where the confusion can come from, maybe I should change something :).

Cheers

Bob

fatboyjim
16-08-2003, 07:22 PM
So I could update the phone to firmware 6.07?

With my simple data cable FBUS/MBUS ?

Thanks for taking the time to clear this stuff up for me

bobl
16-08-2003, 11:33 PM
No! :)

Right, lets be clear here :)

3310 (Ver 5.57 and above) --> 3315 5.57 using only a F/Mbus cable

3310 (Any Ver) --> 3315 6.07 using a Flash cable AND a F/Mbus cable.

Clear enough :)?

Cheers

Bob

fatboyjim
16-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Right!

:)

I found a flash cable but it says it only unlocks phones. Reckon it really means this? Why would it only have one feature?

http://www.m-99.co.uk/PhoneAccessories/Data_Cables/data_cables.html

Thanks

Jim

jeep
17-08-2003, 12:59 AM
If you're looking at the kit for £12.95 at the very top of the page, then you're looking at the right thing.
It's a flash cable kit - this will work on a number of nokia phones, including the 3310/5. They're refering to the old method of unlocking, which required flashing (i.e. updating) the software. We're well past that now, the cable you already have does that.
So, stop worrying and order one :)

You already have the data cable, so you don't need the serial adapter that they also sell. Don't need = don't worry. In fact, forget I even mentioned it ;) Anyone else reading this without any cables, buy that as well as that gives you the data cable and flash cable all in one.

I know this is the same set that bobl bought; I built mine myself from the diagram above as I was abroad at the time and had to settle for living room floor made instead of factory made. Both work equally well.
Would I need a flasher cable to upgrade to 6.04? OK silly question, it's yesAbsolutely correct, although I think you meant v6.07?

So I could update the phone to firmware 6.07?
With my simple data cable FBUS/MBUS ?See your own answer :)

Well, to clear things up, you can actually flash upgrade a phone as well...Shut up Bob! ;)
@FatboyJim - Bob's technically correct, but don't worry about it - it's possible, but there are much easier ways of doing it.
Whatever you do, read a full backup of the phone before writing anything to it. Chunkhead's FAQ covers that side of it. If anything ever goes wrong, then you can write this file back to the phone and undo any damage you did :)

Bottom line: Get the kit you found and you're sorted.
Stick around a bit longer and you'll learn how to make your own modifications - but don't forget to upload them here :D

George

fatboyjim
17-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks mate

I'll order the kit and then start crying all over the forum again when it arrives :D

In the mean time I'll read around and try to find out a bit more

Oh, another question :D

My brother's 3210, quite old, but it's shafted. He's just bought a 3410 to replace it, but I'd quite like to try and fix he 3210. When he turns it on, sometimes it works for a while and you can make calls, but then after a while it turns off. Sometimes it turns on and the LEDs behind the buttons and the screen flash. Sometimes it just says CONTACT SERVICE

Reckon a re-flash might work? Where would I find the download for a working version?

And yes I did mean 6.07 earlier on

Thanks again for all of your time

bobl
17-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Shut up George :D:D!

Yes, go to the FAQ and read the contact service solution by chunkhead :)

And yes, ignore the "can only be used for unlocking phones", so long as it says "flasher kit" in the description, and it connects to your parallel port, it's all good :)

Read up on old threads and the guides in the faq about flashing!

Cheers

Bob