PDA

View Full Version : need help on mbus protocol - thesis sms-appliance control!

fiddler_808
17-08-2003, 03:41 AM
Hi im a college student currently working on a thesis: sms-based appliance control..im planning to interface a 3310 or 6110 to a z86 microprocessor..the available microp i have can only run on 9600 baud rate so i need to use an m-bus connection..plus a UART since the chip doesnt have a serial interface. But firstly, i plan on controlling the appliance using my PC's serial port and the m-bus protocol. I've downloaded previous attachments posted here and they have seem to be potentially helpfull resources. However, since i have very amateur programming skills. I would like to ask help for a basic rundown of how i should start this project. All I have so far is a choice of phone 3310/6610, m-bus protocol as indicated in various sources, and a choice of visual basic or c++. How do i start programming? I will greatly owe whoever can lend me a hand. Thnx :)

jps46
09-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Hi, I´m Juan Pablo Sanchez from Argentina and I´m a college student too. You won´t belive that, but I´m working on the same Project!

This would be the diagram of my project:

DATA SOURCE<--> PC 1 <--> MOBILE PHONE 1 <--> CELLULAR NETWORK (CDMA-SMS) <--> MOBILE PHONE 2 <--> PC 2.

The data source would be an Electrocardiogram, and the PC 2 would be a notebook.

I´m beginning too, so i have not get many information but if you want, we can change ideas. My e-mail is: [email protected]

Hi im a college student currently working on a thesis: sms-based appliance control..im planning to interface a 3310 or 6110 to a z86 microprocessor..the available microp i have can only run on 9600 baud rate so i need to use an m-bus connection..plus a UART since the chip doesnt have a serial interface. But firstly, i plan on controlling the appliance using my PC's serial port and the m-bus protocol. I've downloaded previous attachments posted here and they have seem to be potentially helpfull resources. However, since i have very amateur programming skills. I would like to ask help for a basic rundown of how i should start this project. All I have so far is a choice of phone 3310/6610, m-bus protocol as indicated in various sources, and a choice of visual basic or c++. How do i start programming? I will greatly owe whoever can lend me a hand. Thnx :)

Ice Draagon
10-09-2003, 08:10 AM
I once been an adviser of EE students way back about 2 years ago. They want to control house lights, TV, garage door, jacuzzi, etc. Anything connected to an electrical power outlet.

It could be quite similar to your project. The only difference is that the phone is connected to a Celeron computer via a data cable and the computer controls a series of relays thru the ISA bus. The ISA bus uses 74HC14 and similar components.

It wasn't using any microprocessors such as a z80. But the function would be quite similar. As with jps46 project, it's very similar to your setup but instead of electrocardiogram, it controls appliances.

The setup was like this:
GSMPHONE1 <--> GSM NETWORK <--> GSMPHONE2 <--> PC <--> RELAY -->APPLIANCES

I assume the z80 setup is:
GSMPHONE1 <--> GSM NETWORK <--> GSMPHONE2 <-->Z80

I would suggest using Visual Basic since it's easier to make more presentable GUI's for your thesis. After all, good looking apps would earn higher grades. C++ is good for those low level programming, especially when you want to use the nokia protocols directly.

With regards to the phone, I suggest 6110 would do since it would be easier to attached/detached the data cable to it.

For the z80, you need to command the z80 to check the message inbox at least every 5 seconds for any messages. The same is true with the PC2.

Use predefined messages, like "APP1 ON, APP2 OFF" which in turn is parsed by checking which appliance to toggle its active state. This is easy for a PC but for a z80, this could be a bit harder.

Ice Draagon
10-09-2003, 08:15 AM
If using a PC, the data is gathered by PC1 and is converted into a series of SMS messages before sending to PHONE2. The PC2 would check the messages if the message came from the authorized phone (PHONE1) by checking its originating number before PC2 would process the commands or data received.

The same is true with z80. It should check the originating number where the message came from for added security.

Ice Draagon
10-09-2003, 08:25 AM
However, there's another similar project to that of a z80 but this time using an ATTiny 12 from Atmel which you can find the project here:
http://www.riccibitti.com/tinyplanet/tiny_intro.htm

This is very useful for both your projects. But it uses the phone drivers (i.e. for Nokia, it uses the Nokia Datasuite).

wumpus
10-09-2003, 10:22 AM
The same is true with z80. It should check the originating number where the message came from for added security.
Ignorance is bliss :-)

Seriously, the originating number is not secure at all. Some SMSC allow to send from *any* number. Furthermore it is not modular (IE you are fixing it to one telecom provider) Better is to attach/prepend some password.

woody_386
03-12-2003, 04:53 PM
i agree... prepending some kind of identification allows for security... i'm also working on a thesis related to this.... using microcontrollers to interface a mobile phone with any external device. although i'm having difficulty obtaining documents as to how the microcontroller can direct the mobile to send sms... that is, what protocol, exactly, is being used.

Ice Draagon
05-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Furthermore, I suggest you use FBUS protocol since some DCT4's still adher to this communication protocol. I don't know if MBUS is still supported in later DCT4's coz I noticed when I used GetHW/SW command in FBUS using a 6310, it doesn't reply back. But with the same command in FBUS format, it responds with the hardware/software version.

@wumpus:
Yes, the PC program has a user and password checking routine, aside from checking the originating number and its SMSC number. When receiving more than 5 failed retries from the same sender, the program sends out a warning to the system operator for a possible system hack and marks the sender number to be ignored in the future. It's up to the system operator to contact this number and/or reallow access to the system. You could probably add this to the z80 system for added security feature.

@fiddler_808:
If only I know microcontroller programming I would gladly help you out for FREE. I only know MS Assembler/Turbo Assember and I noticed it's not quite similar to assembly in microcontrollers. Maybe I can help you with the FBUS protocol. You only need the send SMS and receive SMS functions.

I'm currently helping out a 3rd year Malaysian student with his project on sending/receiving SMS connected to his database. We do this by ICQ and email. I know how difficult it is when you start with GSM programming especially when you're a newbie in this field and pressured with school deadlines.

jestin
25-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi peeps!

I've got a project, but I 've got quite struck at it.

I don't really know the scope of the project yet, but an example is given to me like for example, If there is someone breaking in thru the door, an sms will be sent to my phone saying there is a breakin, likewise, if there is someone opening the door, the sms will be send also, but this time it says door open.

I'm wondering how do I make the system send the sms? I am given a microchip (pic 18 most prob), the computer, and the nokia phone.

How do a computer send sms to a phone? :-? This is my doubt.

Thanks
email: [email protected]

kathir2000
20-10-2004, 01:48 AM
pl tell the fbus protocol to retrive the message from the inbox.

my mail id [email protected]

I once been an adviser of EE students way back about 2 years ago. They want to control house lights, TV, garage door, jacuzzi, etc. Anything connected to an electrical power outlet.

It could be quite similar to your project. The only difference is that the phone is connected to a Celeron computer via a data cable and the computer controls a series of relays thru the ISA bus. The ISA bus uses 74HC14 and similar components.

It wasn't using any microprocessors such as a z80. But the function would be quite similar. As with jps46 project, it's very similar to your setup but instead of electrocardiogram, it controls appliances.

The setup was like this:
GSMPHONE1 <--> GSM NETWORK <--> GSMPHONE2 <--> PC <--> RELAY -->APPLIANCES

I assume the z80 setup is:
GSMPHONE1 <--> GSM NETWORK <--> GSMPHONE2 <-->Z80

I would suggest using Visual Basic since it's easier to make more presentable GUI's for your thesis. After all, good looking apps would earn higher grades. C++ is good for those low level programming, especially when you want to use the nokia protocols directly.

With regards to the phone, I suggest 6110 would do since it would be easier to attached/detached the data cable to it.

For the z80, you need to command the z80 to check the message inbox at least every 5 seconds for any messages. The same is true with the PC2.

Use predefined messages, like "APP1 ON, APP2 OFF" which in turn is parsed by checking which appliance to toggle its active state. This is easy for a PC but for a z80, this could be a bit harder.