PDA

View Full Version : 5160i esn change

chuck
17-07-2002, 01:39 AM
hi, i want to change my esn on this phone, im new, and i hear alot of talk about imei changing, but none anout esn, one person said it was IMPOSSIBLE to change esn on this nokia phone. And honestly... i dont beleive him. But i havent found any programs that mention esn. thanks i've learned alot so far, electronics are facisinating.

saib
18-07-2002, 08:29 PM
I'm sory to tell u that u have to believe him:D , why!!!!
becuz the esn number is recorded in the eeprom whic is separated in stand alone chipe, and u may need to unsolderind it in order to reprogram it or change the esn number, don't forget that u need a special cable else that flasher or Mbus cable. if u r still want to do it i will send u the name of the cable and from where to bay it, but i don't now alot about reprograming the eeprom.
hope u understad the diffuclties:(

chuck
18-07-2002, 08:53 PM
oh, i am well aware that it is on a chip,and i know it must be unsolded and replaced by a newly programmed chip because manufacturers blow fuses inside the chips to prevent reprogramming, but i cant find the chip, there are several 16 pin and 24 pin chips, 2 of which are made by motorola, yea, send me the place to get the cable. anyone know what chip i should be looking for?

phonedudes
25-07-2002, 10:20 AM
First, the ESN is written in several different locations NOT just 1 and is also checksum calculated for protection.

It is not necessary to unsolder the eeprom to read/write however, not all Nokia's have seperate Eeproms anymore, they are emulated w/the flash rom.

Changing the ESN is of no use other than to reprogram a phone that was stolen from some poor chap.... Hmmm.....

Phonedudes
:)

chuck
29-07-2002, 12:17 AM
nono, i bought this phone from ebay, i wanted to clone my 3360, so i could use the 5160i for work, cause i get dirty at work and i drop things, i dont want to damage the 3360, and the 5160 has bigger buttons for dialing.