PDA

View Full Version : Help -- stripped screws

danny81
02-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Hi all. Just wondering if you guys could give me some advice on removing the middle two screws on my 8210? I need to clean my LCD contacts because I have to apply a lot of pressure on the phone above the screen before I get anything to show up on screen, but I can't budge those screws and have almost completely stripped them with a small flat screwdriver. I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas, short of buying that Nokia screwdriver, T6 I think it is...

Cheers!
Danny

chunkhead
02-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Are you serious? Would you use a Nissan key to open a Toyota? Of course your going to need a Torx 6 screwdriver! If you have badly damaged the screws, you can get them of with a needle nose pliers!!!

danny81
02-09-2003, 01:26 PM
After trying unsuccessfully to remove the two middle screws, I took off the two top and cleaned the LCD contact points a few times as best I could. It seemed to do something because I didn't need to press as hard to get the screen to come on so I put the screws back in and left the cover off. After a while the screen worked again until I put a cover on. Figuring there was nothing I could do, I just left it as it was. Odd thing is, I dropped my phone today, and the LCD started working again (with the cover on) and it's now fine. Oh well...

ikm19
02-09-2003, 08:48 PM
YOu were lucky man that u droped ur MObile and started working fine . but in mine case i drop mine mobile and it never worked again ( Thats the different case than i drop mine mobile in river) LOL :)

danny81
03-09-2003, 03:14 AM
It's now back to stage 1. After travelling with it in my pocket, the LCD's done it's own thing and now I need to apply pressure to see the screen again. Oh well...it was working fine for a while...

de1nonly
03-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Another option to get the screw out is to drill them out.

Just find a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the thread size and just drill through the length of the screw.
This will of course damage the screw so you will need replacements. It works wonders but i think you should leave it as a last resort. I've done it before but on things that aren't so delicate.

Tony

chunkhead
03-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Ok...

Problem: Screws are stuffed!
Solution: Needle-nose pliers (Have done it a few times, with 8xxx)

Problem: No Screen
Cause: Faulty elastomer
Solution: Replace elastomer (Rubber bit behind screen!)

ikm19
03-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Gray colour small lines runnes on screens it goes on dark when i help 8210 screen tight and if screen left lose the diplay get dimmer dont know what to this mobile if the screw are tight than the display goes too dark and lines run here and there and if display is losse than there problem even reading the display .......... :(

chunkhead
04-09-2003, 12:25 PM
@ ikm19

Same as above! You also need to replace your elastomer!

Unique
04-09-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm lazy.. and tight with my money... but mostly lazy.

My 8210 did that.. I got a match stick and cut it a bit... I put it between my cover and top of lcd. High enough so you cant see it but low enought to apply pressure. It worked until it was lost. :rolleyes:

John

qasdfdsaq
05-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Just get a Torx 6 screwdriver and a new elastomer. Cost is only around £3 (5 EUR/US$) each.