PDA

View Full Version : 3650 n-gage games possible?

phgary07
16-09-2003, 11:45 AM
just wanna check if 3650 can play with n-gage games?
b'cos wanted to upgrade my phone to n-gage.
if 3650 can support think is not a need to change my phone...

dnlhoare
16-09-2003, 12:09 PM

The 3650 has exactly the ship chip as the n-gage so in theroy could play the n-gage games. But nokia have seen it fit to disallow this by adding a security feature so the 3650 will not play the n-gage mmc card games.
The only other thing is the buttons n-gage supports multiple presses etc.
I am pretty sure however that someone will crack these n-gage games soon after they are released and you should be able to play them on the 3650. But theres no guarantee that this will happen or even be possible.

It seems really silly to me that they have had to wait this long to release a phone that is so little different in terms of hard ware!?!
They could have least put a faster chip or even a 3d processor!
but never mind!

tzeonn
16-09-2003, 12:09 PM

im not sure, but i heard on tis forum, n cage runs on the same ram, but has an added graphics card, so its not possible to play ncage games on ur 3650. im not sure tis is true, y not wait till its released?

Donlup
14-10-2003, 01:15 AM
im not sure, but i heard on tis forum, n cage runs on the same ram, but has an added graphics card, so its not possible to play ncage games on ur 3650. im not sure tis is true, y not wait till its released?
the 3650 wont be running the n-gage games, the n-gage has a special chip for gfx wich the 3650 doesent

Awake
14-10-2003, 01:33 AM
In the oficial N-Gage FAQ from the nokia site, it says that the N-Gage has no extra graphics processor. Just the plain old 104 MHz

boo1985
14-10-2003, 08:14 AM
In the oficial N-Gage FAQ from the nokia site, it says that the N-Gage has no extra graphics processor. Just the plain old 104 MHz

i heard abt that too... it is just like a repackaged 3650... its veri odd that they didnt make any hardware advancement for the ngage...

Awake
14-10-2003, 03:53 PM
It's not odd at all. Look at all the money they saved having exactly the same platform for the 7650/3650/N-Gage. The phones are exactly the same (even the fu**** screen) except for 1 or other thing...3 high-end phones. When they discontinue the 7650 and the 3650 all extra stock will go into the N-Gage which will have a longer life span.

I have to say the people who run Nokia are very very smart indeed.

NiX_
15-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Well, even so it is a LOT smaller and has stereo sound and console games for not a lot more than a 3650.

gee2020
15-10-2003, 04:52 PM
I have to say the people who run Nokia are very very smart indeed.

Yes i agree with you aswell, its all to do with marketing there symbian phones also.

GeeZuZz
15-10-2003, 11:39 PM
People, think logical...

If 3650 can play such games, why would Nokia "disable" that function. Don't you think Nokias symbian phones would be even more popular, if there was a built-in game consol? And don't you think Nokia want money, and do everything to sell more?

Even though the hardware is identical, that does not mean the phones are identical. Theres more power in the software than you might think.

The N-Gage has most likely very optimised graphics software, which drawd graphic extremely effective.
Emulators are good example. The Playstation One have 33mhz CPU, and not a good graphic chip compared to what you see on PC's.

But you need a pretty powerfull PC to emulate the games anyway. Why is that? Because the coders of the emulator don't have the source to the Playstation software, and don't know the software 100%.

If Sony themselves could make the emulator, they would proabably make the games run flawless on PC's with very low specs, just because their code is optimized to the maximum.

Soulness
16-10-2003, 12:41 AM
People, think logical...

If 3650 can play such games, why would Nokia "disable" that function. Don't you think Nokias symbian phones would be even more popular, if there was a built-in game consol? And don't you think Nokia want money, and do everything to sell more?

Even though the hardware is identical, that does not mean the phones are identical. Theres more power in the software than you might think.

The N-Gage has most likely very optimised graphics software, which drawd graphic extremely effective.
Emulators are good example. The Playstation One have 33mhz CPU, and not a good graphic chip compared to what you see on PC's.

But you need a pretty powerfull PC to emulate the games anyway. Why is that? Because the coders of the emulator don't have the source to the Playstation software, and don't know the software 100%.

If Sony themselves could make the emulator, they would proabably make the games run flawless on PC's with very low specs, just because their code is optimized to the maximum.

The function isn't disabled, the games are stored into a different memory card...
Take the example of this years Nokia Game. Download the zip from http://www.nokiagame.com/downloads/nokiagamenokia3650-565-071003.zip and check out the file structure. Now get your hands on an N-Gage game card, read it on an mmc card reader on your pc and compare both of them... Then tell me what you think of it...

Awake
16-10-2003, 01:27 AM
I think people are kind of confused about this.

We're not talking about emulating N-Gage games for the 3650. To play PSX games on PC we need a emulator because:

1º Completly diferent hardware (PC arquitechture vs PSX). You can't run code compiled for a PC on PSX. Not even the same set of processor instrutions available.
2º Completly diferent operating system.

On the other hand the 3650 has exactly the same hardware and operating system as the N-Gage. If the hardware is exactly the same I don't see the big problem.

Soulness
16-10-2003, 01:52 AM
I'm not saying to emulate the N-Gage, because there's no need for it on the 3650. But i accidently downloaded the n-gage version of Nokia Game to my 3650 and it worked without problems...

N-gage noob
16-10-2003, 02:13 AM
I tried the mmc card that came with my n-gage in a 3650 today and flo board played no probs.Now i cant say if the the seperate n-gage ones will but at least we know the 3650 can play n-gage based/quality games.
As for coments that the n-gage games are sd card i cant go along with that.I went out and bought an sd card today and it wouldnt fit in the n-gage slot as it was too thick to slide under the lugs.Bought a 128mb mmc card and it slid in fine.Also copied the flo-board game over and it played ,mind you i had to copy the complete system folder as it wouldnt play if i just copied the game.Also there are some files that are hidden under windows and you have to turn hidden folders on in windows to view/copy em.

KrAzY3
16-10-2003, 02:21 AM
I think the thing about Flo-Board is that it's not a regular MMC title, and the card it came on is just a regular MMC card. You can erase it, copy it or what ever.

I believe they have protection on their actuall MMC titles, however I believe the 3650 could play them if you were able to crack what ever protection they might have. Although it's pretty much the same hardware there could be some subtle differences that caused some problems though I'd assume. Not every Series 60 game that I install works so great on the N-Gage so ya know... I suppose that could go both ways.

N-gage noob
16-10-2003, 02:29 AM
i agree with your comments KrAzY3 but it shows that the 3650 has at least the hardware capability to play an N-gage game so where theres hope etc...Has anyone even tried to play a proper n-gage game on the 3650 yet,at £35 i think not lol.

Soulness
16-10-2003, 03:09 AM
i agree with your comments KrAzY3 but it shows that the 3650 has at least the hardware capability to play an N-gage game so where theres hope etc...Has anyone even tried to play a proper n-gage game on the 3650 yet,at £35 i think not lol.

I have a friend that works at a vodafone shop back home, that tested the Tomb Raider MMC and the phone didn't even detected the card...

samtech
16-10-2003, 03:20 AM
confirm that , i also did the same thing and have the same result , gamecard not detected (puzlebuble)

i'm now Downloading all i can get from EMULE (server Razorkack) to star testing if something runs on 3650

For a start i copyed the NokiaGame N-gage version to my 3650 and runs without problems, as for other agames like sonic-n they give always system error

Samtech

NiX_
16-10-2003, 11:36 AM
I have tried to use the argument that nokiagame works on both but the thing is NokiaGame is a game made for 3650.

sistemalimbico
18-10-2003, 07:20 PM
A friend of mine told me that is possible to play N-Gage games on 3650 opening them with Nokia SDK and then resaving for 3650...
Can anyone try it?
he is playing sonic with his 3650!