PDA

View Full Version : signal loss

hakhawk
18-09-2003, 01:57 PM
ok, i have this 3310. it will not pick up signal or it will for 2 seconds then lose it. it is not the faid. upon choosing manual network selection, it finds several networks and trying to choose the one for the simcard results in "NO ACCESS". the software was 4.19. i tried update to 5.13 and software reset. the antenna is on fine. any ideas of what it could be and can an amateur electronics guy like me fix it?

btw, i have prepaid and contract telstra simcards. contract has no tmsi in netmonitor and prepaid does. is this anything to worry about?

Yotamz
18-09-2003, 03:09 PM
have you checked your imei? it could be damaged or changed after flashing.

about the tmsi, i had some times that phone had no tmsi, (mainly when i moved to another area). when it happend i couldn't recieve calls, but restarting solved the problem.
tmsi is an address (in hex) assign to the phone by the network upon connection. if you don't have one it is like you are not connected.

chunkhead
19-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Does your phone get signal with an Optus card in it? If so, then your antenna switch is stuffed!

hakhawk
19-09-2003, 02:31 PM
im not sure, i will have to check. if the antenna switch is stuffed, can i fix it?

hakhawk
20-09-2003, 08:00 AM
ok, i was just playing with it and realised there is no option to change phone line. no holding down # and its not in the call settings

any ideas? i cant get access to a optus simcard for a few days either.

hakhawk
28-09-2003, 11:22 AM
it does the same thing with an optus card. finds signal when turned on, loses it after 5 seconds. can i fix it?

chunkhead
30-09-2003, 04:19 AM
Try using my "Contact Service" guide found here: http://nokiafree.org/forums/t31337/s.html and also the Knok 95 Unlock guide!

hakhawk
30-09-2003, 02:14 PM
ok, i tried the contact service, no problems. the knok95, no problems. it finds signal in netmonitor menus 3 - 5. it finds all the operators in my area, telstra, optus, vodafone. i have a telstra sim with no problems in other fones, chosing telstra from manual search, it says NO ACCESS.it has done this on the original 4.19 software, 5.57 and with new virgin eeprom. could the imei be blocked?

chunkhead
01-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Maybe, but it would normally say "Sim Card Registration Failed!" Try a different IMEI, you can change it with Knok95! Just edit it after you unlock it in the prcedure, and update FAID!

fixmup
09-10-2003, 06:35 PM
ok, i tried the contact service, no problems. the knok95, no problems. it finds signal in netmonitor menus 3 - 5. it finds all the operators in my area, telstra, optus, vodafone. i have a telstra sim with no problems in other fones, chosing telstra from manual search, it says NO ACCESS.it has done this on the original 4.19 software, 5.57 and with new virgin eeprom. could the imei be blocked?
hak young man-being an aussie,I am able to help ya with this one relatively easy i think.I repair about 3 of these problems a day,so I am fairly confident that I can help ya.Chunk was pretty spot on with antenna switch solution,but the p.a. is also reknown for doing the same thing.Your phone is not locked or barred,and updating the faid will not work.Reflow the diplexor and p.a. and see what happens.If no luck ,then remove and replace the p.a.[before everyone uprises and says to reflash the fone,I deal with this problem up to 20 times a week and 90% of the time the p.a. is either dry jointed or cracked!!].if still no luck,do the same with the antenna switch[diplexor].Also try reflowing near the ccont and cobba as ther are caps that feed the pa that are known to fail as well, but not that often.
If this is too hard and you are in w.a. let me know via email and we can organise for me to fix,or even post to me from interstate.
my address is fixmfast @hotmail.com

hakhawk
11-10-2003, 08:49 AM
thanks for the info fixmup. i will give it a try and see how i go. hopefully i get it fixed

natnat
11-10-2003, 06:59 PM
try changing IMEI to original. if it doesnt work, try changing it to a working one.

fixmup
12-10-2003, 03:13 PM
thanks for the info fixmup. i will give it a try and see how i go. hopefully i get it fixed
Hey hak old son,sorry to harp on ya problem, but I learned something new the other day in which I had not dealt with b4.The p.a.'s on most models have inductors and capacitors that stabilise and feed the them,and I came across a capacitor which had collapsed,and was not feeding the pa properly.After bridging the cap,no problemo,problem cured.Also sometimes thetrack from the power terminal off the battery to the caps feeding the pa can burn out,so run a meter from the terminal[positive] to the first cap on the right of the pa.If there is no conductivity ,then run a nylon coated wire between the two and oyu are generally o.k..Sorry to be long winded,but there are so many ways to skin a cat when it comes to signal dramas on 3310's.If you have a prob.with identifying certain hardware,let me know and I will try to organise some sort of diagram for ya! good luck man 8-)

hakhawk
10-11-2003, 02:31 PM
thanks fixmup, i had someone look at it for me, they have the equipment. it turned out the antenna switch was fractured so i got it replaced. good as new. thanks for everyones help. !!