PDA

View Full Version : mysterious shutdown on 6610 - anyone else, too?

Thanh
18-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Hi there :)
I have a 6610, v4.18. The phone yet proved extremely reliable, never "resetting" or doing funny stuff with me. It untill yesterday only twice shut off itself, both times around the same location, and both times i had to remove the battery in order to get it going again, it would not react on the power switch.
Yestarday i was in a longer conversation in an area where the network is quite weak (one bar shown), and also the phone's battery was almost empty (one bar also, yet not beeping). After 20 minutes in the conversation, i tought it lost network when i lost the partner, and looking at the phone i found it being "off". However, i could immediately power it on again using the power button just as normal.
I called the other person back and went on, after about 8 minutes the phone AGAIN shut itself down. And again, i could "normal" power up again and eventually continue the conversation for a further 15 minutes with no problem. In the end it beeped for "low battery" but only once, i reached home about 2 hours later and still got that one remaining battery bar.
My question is, does the 6610 (and 7210 for that matter) usually shut down in low-network condition? Or is that a flaw restricted to version 4.18, or even only to my situation where the phone evtl. tries to hand over to the roaming network (Thailand got national roaming between the GSM 1800 network and it's mother company's own GSM 900 network) and being unable to get signal on any of them?
The previous shutdowns happened in an area where both networks get no signal, and here (yesterday) the 900 is non-present and the 1800 quite weak.
Did this happen to anyone else as well? Will a software upgrade solve it? I am thankfull for any information.
Kind regards....
Thanh

Gozzyut
19-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Only happens to me usually when I remove the Data Cable but after a few min its fine.

hissaan
20-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi

I have Had this 6610 2 months back It had tht keypad problem, the buttons skipped response and were difficult to press.... Now it has that backlight flashing problem... I took it to service centre and they repaired it and it but the problem keeps coming back again... They also gave me a new Swab ( phone Module) and the problem is still there? is it common? I have ver 4. 1. 7 or so there are no switching off problem in them... Cya temme what to do....
They say its a connector problem try explainin me the whole thingi...

Fulmens
20-09-2003, 09:17 AM
hello,

my 6610 does turn itself off sometimes. it does so only when i have my transparent logo on. what happens is that the transparent logo does not appear when i tell the phone to display it. a while later my phone shuts off. i turn it on, and the transparent logo is activated. this is so weird. it does it sometimes, not always.

Thanh
23-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Hello again :)

Thank you guys for the info..... yet i have to say, my phone has never been connected to a computer because i have neither a data cable nor IR, i have a few ringtones, games and pictures in it all downloaded via WAP, that's it. Also my logo, it is a cutom logo but not transparent, and as well received/downloaded via WAP, and always displaying fine, no on-and-off like some 6800's use to do.

But just now, half hour ago, it happened again. Same situation right here at my desk, the network is weak (one-two bars) and the phone cycles periodically between it's home net and the roaming net. I was on the phone, received that call, and after about 5 minutes the phone shut off. This time i could not simply power on, it did not react. I had to connect the charger to bring it "back up".
My colleague called me back, and after just two minutes it went "off" again, and again i had to connect the charger to get it back on.
Then i called back to him, this time it wnt for roughly 5 minutes before the phone yet again shut down, and now not even connecting the charger had a result. I then pulled out the batery and checked if there was any dirt or bad contact, there wasn't..... everything was fine. I put it back together and coiuld power on.
I called again, and after 30 seconds the phone - SHUT OFF. Fed up i was. Plugged in the charger, it did not start charging this time but after a few tries it powered on, and THEN also started charging. I moved to the upper floor where the network is stronger, and continued the conversation for a further 15 minutes with no incident. Since then (it's about half hour ago) the phone is sitting on my desk, cycling networks and i received and replied two SMS's and the phone is still on.

Why, oh WHY does it shut down now while on a call with a weak network? It did not do that earlier. In fact, never at this location, and i am workin (and cycling networks!) at this desk for almost a year, using this phone for half a year now. I did not make any change to the phone recently (last time i downloaded a picture is over a month ago, and last game installed... umm three months?)....... I am scared that tis might be caused by something hardware and flashing the phone (inclusive losing all my personal things, especially AGAIN all saved SMS's!) will not solve it... please, someone give me information what this is all about.... i beg for clearance........... i love this phone so much!!

Kindest regards....
Thanh

fixmup
12-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Hello again :)

Thank you guys for the info..... yet i have to say, my phone has never been connected to a computer because i have neither a data cable nor IR, i have a few ringtones, games and pictures in it all downloaded via WAP, that's it. Also my logo, it is a cutom logo but not transparent, and as well received/downloaded via WAP, and always displaying fine, no on-and-off like some 6800's use to do.

But just now, half hour ago, it happened again. Same situation right here at my desk, the network is weak (one-two bars) and the phone cycles periodically between it's home net and the roaming net. I was on the phone, received that call, and after about 5 minutes the phone shut off. This time i could not simply power on, it did not react. I had to connect the charger to bring it "back up".
My colleague called me back, and after just two minutes it went "off" again, and again i had to connect the charger to get it back on.
Then i called back to him, this time it wnt for roughly 5 minutes before the phone yet again shut down, and now not even connecting the charger had a result. I then pulled out the batery and checked if there was any dirt or bad contact, there wasn't..... everything was fine. I put it back together and coiuld power on.
I called again, and after 30 seconds the phone - SHUT OFF. Fed up i was. Plugged in the charger, it did not start charging this time but after a few tries it powered on, and THEN also started charging. I moved to the upper floor where the network is stronger, and continued the conversation for a further 15 minutes with no incident. Since then (it's about half hour ago) the phone is sitting on my desk, cycling networks and i received and replied two SMS's and the phone is still on.

Why, oh WHY does it shut down now while on a call with a weak network? It did not do that earlier. In fact, never at this location, and i am workin (and cycling networks!) at this desk for almost a year, using this phone for half a year now. I did not make any change to the phone recently (last time i downloaded a picture is over a month ago, and last game installed... umm three months?)....... I am scared that tis might be caused by something hardware and flashing the phone (inclusive losing all my personal things, especially AGAIN all saved SMS's!) will not solve it... please, someone give me information what this is all about.... i beg for clearance........... i love this phone so much!!

Kindest regards....
Thanh
Thanh- it sounds as though something relatively simple like a failing battery to me!While on idle, the battery uses little power,but when you transpond[talk],it uses much more amperage,and the battery may be losing it.Get a tech or battery tester to check the discharge rate,or just try a new battery.Sorry this isn't a high tech reflashing answer,but sometimes the simple answeres may be the best -good luck ;)

Thanh
13-10-2003, 05:52 AM

Thank you for the reply, which was much nicer than the one with "... should have his bloody fingers broken." Never mind :)

Well, the battery i was using was almost brand new as i changed it after the original one died after only three months of use...... i guess it was something hardware or maybe software in the phone, as it occured to rarely and if, then only in same situation - low (or no) network presence.
But last saturday (two days ago) i sold that phone.... so at the moment i am not a Nokia user (shame on me, i know) as i changed networks (CDMA now) and now got to use this Sanyo flip phone for a while, untill i can get a decent R-UIM driven, unlocked CDMA 1x-Nokia from somewhere. This Sanyo got the sh!ttiest battery i know (1 1/2 hour talktime! 2 days standby! 50 minutes WAP/data!) but hey, i got it traded against the 6610 and GOT MONEY BACK TOO, it's a brand new phone, what do i need to expect? Oh well, it's got a camera, too....... But i use it exactly till that day *someone* brings a Nokia 6225 or 3105 or 6585 to thailand..... that same day the Sanyo will be retired. Nokia is best, forget the rest!

Kind regards...
your Thanh

fixmup
13-10-2003, 03:13 PM

Thank you for the reply, which was much nicer than the one with "... should have his bloody fingers broken." Never mind :)

Well, the battery i was using was almost brand new as i changed it after the original one died after only three months of use...... i guess it was something hardware or maybe software in the phone, as it occured to rarely and if, then only in same situation - low (or no) network presence.
But last saturday (two days ago) i sold that phone.... so at the moment i am not a Nokia user (shame on me, i know) as i changed networks (CDMA now) and now got to use this Sanyo flip phone for a while, untill i can get a decent R-UIM driven, unlocked CDMA 1x-Nokia from somewhere. This Sanyo got the sh!ttiest battery i know (1 1/2 hour talktime! 2 days standby! 50 minutes WAP/data!) but hey, i got it traded against the 6610 and GOT MONEY BACK TOO, it's a brand new phone, what do i need to expect? Oh well, it's got a camera, too....... But i use it exactly till that day *someone* brings a Nokia 6225 or 3105 or 6585 to thailand..... that same day the Sanyo will be retired. Nokia is best, forget the rest!

Kind regards...
your Thanh
apologies mate-bad day at the office with someone who 'repaired' their own fone!! I asked around about ya 6610 in Oz and discovered that these units arrived over here with some serious software glitches that nokia are frantically relashing under warranty,so you are not alone with mysterious probs.I have had to try and repair only one 6610 ,and it was about 5mm thick and full of water [big arguement with a car and a puddle of water!] Hopefully Nokia will bring out a unit that suits you and you are happy.
You could always go over to the dark side and buy a PANASONIC -nooo!