PDA

View Full Version : HDS-3 Diagram ( stereo headset for 6xxx DCT4 )

botros
21-09-2003, 06:20 PM
i need to know the diagram of the HDS-3 ( stereo headset ) for 5100 , 6610 . 7210 , 7250 .

i,m sure there is a diagram cause when i install compatable headset the phon see it as mono headset & i also read the service manual for my 5100 & it says that the phone have an intellegant authentecation on the pop port to identify the accessory insalled ( which mean each accessory have small ciurcit on it ) .
wish someone can help . :))

Thanh
22-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Hi there :)

Please find attached the file Pop-Port.doc which is a diagram for the Pop-port....... it enables you to build your own headset.

Those headsets don't have a circuitry inside, it is in fact made of one (or two, depending on model) earphones (small loudspeakers), a condensor-type microphone capsule with an attached resistor (SMD), an answer button and wiring.
Only the presense of the microphone identify's the thingy as a "headset" by the phone, no matter if there are one or two earphones present. You may verify that by connecting a one-ear headset and start the phone's radio, then check it's options... you will see that you can switch between stereo and mono output, as the phone only knows there is a headset present, but it does not "know" if that is a stereo or one-ear model. To modify a one-ear headset to become stere, you need to connect a second earpiece to it's Pop-Port connectors, most likely it is the "right" channel. This operation requires an additional two wires since the "common" is NOT shared! I have myself made a hybrid headset (two ear, but mono) by connecting the upper part of a 6510-headset (with the nice clip, original Nokia one!) to the pop-Port connector and cable (!) of an el-cheapo one-ear for Pop-Port phones. The sound is incredibly good (mono tough) and loud, specially when used for phone purpose! It goes way louder than an original stereo set, provided with my boyfriend's 7250. And i can well live with mono sound :)
I hope this could help you....
Kind regards....
your Thanh

botros
23-09-2003, 03:33 AM
Hi Thanh .,

looks like my 5100 always defferents , ,
if u remeber u reply my enquiry about battries 3 weeks ago ,,

any how thanks for the info ,,, but on 5100 i connect a compatable headset & the phone recognize it as mono & i can,t change to stereo ( it tell me " please connect stereo headset ) & after a review on the manual they mentioned the word ( pop port have authentecation curcite for accessory cennected to the phone ) which mean there must be external curcite in the accessory to make the phone recognize it as stereo or mono headset or camera & so on .

i also manages to trick the phone by shorting pin 2&3 ( pop port accessory sensor ) to open the radio without a physical headset & it worked & needed an antenna & i put a wire on any pin from 11 to 14 & the trick worked ,,
but i still don,t know what make the phone recognize the compatable cheap headset as mono ??
may be i should disassemble the original nokia headset that came with the phone ,, LOL & then i will have to buy a new one ( original accessories r very expensive in Egypt & i thik every where ) .

at last i need to ask if u did connect a cheap headset to your 6610 or not yet ?

Thanks ,
Botros

Thanh
23-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Hello again :)

I can assure you, i did connect a cheap headset... in fact, every time i connect mine, it is a "cheap one ear headset" but modified by me to be two-ear :)
Even with it being totally original, with it's only 40 cm's cable and the small answerbutton/microphone unit and the one earpiece, the phone still allows to switch between mono and stereo...... maybe the 6610 is not "intelligent enough" to determine between a stereo-and mono headset?
But as i have both (the stereo belongs to my boyfriend's 7250) and i had it open as well, i can also assure you that there is no circuitry inside! You can open your's too... it is quite easy, just be carefull not to break any parts, even if you should break something, simply put it back together with super glue :)
Maybe the 5100 is able to detect the presense of the second earpiece? It should have a resistance (use digital multi meter) of 32 ohms. Maybe your phone does not allow sereo output if the second channel is "infinite" instead of 32 ohms....... at least a 6610, version 4.18, definitely does not care for this :)

I hope this was of some help.......
kind regards...
your Thanh

botros
24-09-2003, 02:41 AM
hi again
looks like i,m going creazy with my 5100 .
it tell me ( please connect stereo headset ) even i,m connecting two earphone ( left & right ) ??

i,m sure there is a trick in the original headset one ..
may be if u have a friend with 5100 u will sure know what i mean ,, :))

Botros

Thanh
24-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Hello :)
Well, i don't know anyone locally with a 5100... otherwise i'd love to test that. But how did you connect the second earpiece?

Do you have a digital multimeter?

Measure the resistance of the original set's earpieces. It should be either 16 or 32 ohms EACH.
Then use a Pop-Port connector (take from the cheap headset) and look if thet can be opened somehow (some are sealed). If it can be opened, solder the wires for the second earpiece to it's respective contacts. Make sure that your additional earpiece has the same resistance as the other one! It does not matter if that is 16, 32 or whatever ohms. Leave the rest of the headset unchanged for the moment, and plug it into the phone's Pop-Port. See if the problem peresists (i.e. "Connect Stereo Headset" message). Even if so, turn the radio "on" and check if both he earpieces work. They should, even in mono output. If so, you need to open your original (stereo!) headset.
Be carefull with that "operation" and open only the answer button unit. All parts (apart from the earpieces) are in there. You will see the microphone capsule. On it's back there is a small SMD-type element which should be a resistor. Simply use your multimeter and measure the resistance between the soldering points of the microphone capsule (if it goes to a "0" reading, you need to desolder one of the wires! It might be shorted by the answer button!) and note the resistance. Now do the same with the "cheap" headset, again measure the resistance at it's microphone capsule. There could eventually be a difference.
Next, try to use the Microphone capsule (inclusive the attached mini resistor!) of the original set, and replace the unit of the "cheap" set with it. (It's only two solder spots, and you may revert it, it doesn't matter). Plug it in and test again, if it is now "seen" as "stereo headset". It should now! Because indeed there is NO OTHER ELECTRONIC COMPONENT beside the microphone capsule, it's attached resistor and the one or two earpieces in such headset.

The phone might determine the attached accessory by the resistance between it's "detection"-contact and common. I did not measure either as mine 6610 does not make a difference between mono and stereo headsets... umm i recommend you to get a 6610 :)

I hope this was of help.........
Kind regards...
your Thanh

OliverMc
08-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Hi Thanh,

In the ppost below you mention a Port-Pop.doc file. I'm not seeing it. Please can you forward this to to me?

Thanks,
Oliver

Hi there :)

Please find attached the file Pop-Port.doc which is a diagram for the Pop-port....... it enables you to build your own headset.

Those headsets don't have a circuitry inside, it is in fact made of one (or two, depending on model) earphones (small loudspeakers), a condensor-type microphone capsule with an attached resistor (SMD), an answer button and wiring.
Only the presense of the microphone identify's the thingy as a "headset" by the phone, no matter if there are one or two earphones present. You may verify that by connecting a one-ear headset and start the phone's radio, then check it's options... you will see that you can switch between stereo and mono output, as the phone only knows there is a headset present, but it does not "know" if that is a stereo or one-ear model. To modify a one-ear headset to become stere, you need to connect a second earpiece to it's Pop-Port connectors, most likely it is the "right" channel. This operation requires an additional two wires since the "common" is NOT shared! I have myself made a hybrid headset (two ear, but mono) by connecting the upper part of a 6510-headset (with the nice clip, original Nokia one!) to the pop-Port connector and cable (!) of an el-cheapo one-ear for Pop-Port phones. The sound is incredibly good (mono tough) and loud, specially when used for phone purpose! It goes way louder than an original stereo set, provided with my boyfriend's 7250. And i can well live with mono sound :)
I hope this could help you....
Kind regards....
your Thanh

Thanh
08-09-2004, 03:53 PM

I hope the mods don't kick me for flooding the forum with this document... i think i have uploaded it in at least four threads already :)

Right click the file and select "save link target as..." to download it. It is a standard word document :)

Kind regards....

your Thanh

Yotamz
09-09-2004, 03:46 PM
I hope the mods don't kick me for flooding the forum with this document...

it's ok ;)

WGRoper
13-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Any idea what the difference is in the Nokia handsfree (BHF-1) and a pop-port headset? When the handsfree unit is connected, the 6610 is unlocked and the backlight is on until disconnected. I'd like to have this same behavior with my Jabra headset. The car is too noisy to use the handsfree unit effectively. I'm using a pop-port to 2.5mm adpater for the Jabra, so it would be really easy to modify.

I've seen the pinout document, just unsure how the phone detects the difference in a handsfree vs. a headset.

Thanks!
Greg

koby1234
18-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Dear Botros and Thanh,
The HDS-3 headset does contain a chip!
(SO8 package, makred 55A07A, probably Nokia propriatery chip)
and a additional capacitors and resistors. This could be used for "smart" identification the headset by the phone.

lroberto77
30-09-2004, 02:48 PM
i have the HS-1c Camera with Double mono hearphone .

can i convert to stereo ? the phone recognize only mono (message: "connect stereo hp...")

gfr7
08-10-2004, 05:19 AM
i too have mono problem, i have take'n apart a cheap pop port connector and tried to wire a stereo headset and I also can't switch to stereo in the menu.
this thead is old so I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to trick the pop port into the stereo mode? or what that chip in the stereo headset is.

Tailsy
06-12-2004, 02:07 PM
i too have mono problem, i have take'n apart a cheap pop port connector and tried to wire a stereo headset and I also can't switch to stereo in the menu.
this thead is old so I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to trick the pop port into the stereo mode? or what that chip in the stereo headset is.

Hi does anyone know whether or not the HDS-3 can be used as a handsfree when you are on the mobile? I've tried using it but I can only hear people talking not talk to them. Is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks.

NamEniKin
13-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Dear Botros and Thanh,
The HDS-3 headset does contain a chip!
(SO8 package, makred 55A07A, probably Nokia propriatery chip)
and a additional capacitors and resistors. This could be used for "smart" identification the headset by the phone.

That SMD IC: "it is a custom ASIC, perhaps featuring some logic.
without this logic (clocked on ACI line of POP port) your phone would have *only* MONO output (for backwards compatibility with mono headsets).
more on this later."

TheJoker
16-03-2005, 04:03 AM
@Thanh...

maybe there is something wrong with your 6610... and you are very lucky cuz you can build your own STEREO Headset... then when you plug it... your 6610 will recognize it but will output MONO... then since you said you can switch it to STEREO... then switch it to STEREO...

my friend have 6610, my sister is using 6610i, and i used to have 7250i... then i'm using 3200 now... all can detect if you put only mono or stereo headset... original or generic (cheap)...

original nokia headset... HDS-3... is superb in sound quality... but i want to use my SONY headset and AIWA Headphones... which far more better quality than NOKIA... so i bought a second ORIGINAL HDS-3... cut the wire... about 3 inches from pop-port plug of HDS-3... then buy a female socket of BABY phone jack... solder only the grounds and positive of Left and Right...

now i can use any headphones / headset i want... and i even used my 3200 to my PC or any Speaker... not the Expensive one of Nokia... better sound with subwooffer... hehehehhe... LOL...

now i'm saving for 6230... or the upcoming 6230i...

hopes i help... hehehehhe... LOL...

Thanh
16-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Well that was a LONG time ago..... right now i can't even remember how the 6610 looked like :) Yeah, but it had no problem switching to stereo even with a mono headset connected. As technology becomes more advanced, the more intelligent those phones get - and the more demanding. Now they won't output stereo unless you connect a expensive original headset.....

However i keep modifying headsets, and right now i use a Nokia headset (unknown type) from the 8310 (the one with the big clip with the chrome answer button, two-ear mono) on both my Sanyo CDMA phone and my Nokia 6600. On the Sanyo, i modified it to use a 3-pin plug ("stereo" 2.5 mm) and a 3.5 mm socket in the clip to which i can connect just about ANY stereo walkman-type headphone, and for the 6600 i just changed the original earpieces with ones from a Phillips headphone, because those fitted in the original Nokia earpiece shells and they have a WAY better (and louder!) sound. Many people complain about the 6600 having dull output if it comes to mp3 or ogg - well, with mine "special" headset i have blasting-loud and crystal clear sound.

Kind regards.....

your Thanh

nks2000
27-03-2005, 07:40 PM
I am from INDIA, and i have recently purchased a brand new nokia 6610 from authorised dealer with 1 year warranty.

When i tune to radio, i hear stereo sound for some time and mono sound. i.e. while walking few steps in open ground, i hear stereo sound and after walking another few steps i hear mono sound and it goes on.

Kindly help

Thanh
28-03-2005, 03:32 AM

You ever drive around with the car, stereo ON and you wonder why the sound becomes worse as you move? Well, it's the same :) Don't blame Nokia for a weak radio signal.

The phone switches to "mono" if the received signal becomes too weak for proper stereo sound. As you move, you may get out of range of the radio station's antenna and hence the signal becomes weak. Also it depends on how you use the "antenna" (which in fact is the headset wire). If you keep it very close to your body (like, under the t-shirt as i used to do) your body itself "shields" the wire from the waves, hence - low receiption.

When i used the 6610, i always was amazed about how good the receiption of the radio actually was. Even IN the car, i mostly had a better sound quality thru the phone than thru the (Sony!) car stereo. But obviously it depends on the sending station. If it happens to you, just tune into another station that is closer/stronger - you should not have a problem to find them :)

A word about clarity: I never camme across a radio that can separate close-by stations as good as a Nokia phone! Yes, also the 6260 does it. Here in Bangkok, a LOT of stations are on air, and very close together on the frequency band. It is like 95.5-95.65-95.75-95.85-95.9-96.1 etc. A "normal" radio often receives a lot of "gobbledigoo" and ghosts - multiple stations at once. Nokia phones do receive each station clear and without interference (exception 107.0 Metro FM - this has a very strong signal at my location, and it runs over 107.25 Luk Thung FM, which here is very weak. Yet still depending on how i lay out the wire of the headset, i can receive Luk Thung FM - in mono! But my home stereo doesn't catch that station at all!)

I hope you will always be as happy with your 6610 as i was with mine - truly one of the best phones Nokia has made :)

Kind regards......

your Thanh

hehir2004
25-05-2008, 01:18 PM
hi

sorry to bring this one up again but im chasing the pop port diagram attached by thanh in the quoted post i have found this doc in a few places but when i download and open it i get a database error. file = pop port.doc

im trying to wire in 6234 work gave me to the existing car kit which was designed for 5110/6110 series phones and need the pin outs for the pop port if im going to have any hope.

(yes i could replace it, but its wired into the original steering wheel mounted buttons and car stereo and if i can avoid that it would be preferable)

I hope the mods don't kick me for flooding the forum with this document... i think i have uploaded it in at least four threads already :)

Right click the file and select "save link target as..." to download it. It is a standard word document :)

Kind regards....

your Thanh

Thanh
25-05-2008, 04:00 PM

Unfortunately i myself don't have that doc anymore..... it's been sooooo long ago :) However a simple Google search yielded the result, please have a look here:

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nokia/nokia_pop_pinout.shtml

With kind regards.....

Thanh