PDA

View Full Version : 5130 unicode support - can add..?

Thanh
22-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Hello :)

I have a 5130 and i am using a modded flash (Mdicdican's). I want to know wether it is possible to add unicode support?

I live in Thailand, and occassionally i receive a SMS in thai. No problem with any newer phone, although to WRITE thai SMS, i need to set the phone's menu language to thai, but receiving works always.
Now, the 5130 does not include thai in it's PPM, so i wonder if all i need to do is to add thai language, or if it then still can't show such (unicode) SMS? After all it is a old phone :)
Or is it possible to add the thai character set (i could take from a thai-enabled 5130 flash) to the flash and no need to import the entire language pack? I am not keen on messing with the flash file, specially when it is an already modded one which performs so well.

I am thankfull for any advise!
Kindest regards.....
Thanh

ZNOD
22-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Greetings Thanh!

If you want to add a THAI language pack on your 5130 flash without messing much of the phone's PPM, you can either replace a language pack which you don't really use. for (eg: replace chinese language with a THAI language pack) or, if you have seen or a friend of yours have a 5130 phone with a thai language pack, you can simply just read and copy the flash then flash it to your phone.

Thanh
23-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Hello again :)
Dear ZNOD, thank you for the information... yet the initial question is unanswered, because i needed to know if installing of the thai language (which, similar to chinese, is unicode in terms of SMS) enables the phone to receive unicode SMS or not? Because if not, there's no point in doing it :) I need no thai menu, neither an ability to write thai SMS... i only want to be able to receive them, or better, READ them after they been received. In the one case yet, the received SMS showed only squares :)
But if adding the menu language does not enable this, there is really no point in eventually messing the nicely working (modded!) flash...... i have flash files for this phone which include thai language, but i really do not wish to mess it up and re-flash only to find that it does not work. That's why i asked if in general this phone does support unicode... or not, because it is an old phone. And i know of other phones (3210!) that they have thai menus, but yet also can not receive (or send) thai SMS because it is simply not supported :)

Kindest regards....
you Thanh

Thanh
29-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Hello again :)

Thanks for your effort to reply to my thread and answer my question... i finally got to test it "live" by flashing the phone with original SW which includes the thai language PPM......
The phone still could not display the thai SMS! Even when i set the menu language to thai, SMS's can still be written only with latin characters, and also displaying a received SMS does not work, it shows squares and "crazy signs" instead of thai characters.

But at least that question is answered :)

Regards....
Thanh