PDA

View Full Version : !!! USB connector 9210-to-PC !!!

markozob
25-09-2003, 10:31 PM
OK,
I tried asking this Q on this (well, EX) forum, but seems nobody has an answer. Well I DO!!!

Search the web (Google) searching for "USB to serial adapter" - WHOA!

The thing exists, in all kinds of lengths and shapes, and price ranges from $11 upwards - a bargain, if you ask me. The thing is, you have a cabl with USB connector on one side, and RS232 (male) on the other side (DB9, to be precise). I'm getting it tomorrow, but what it does is that it emulates another com port (if you have com1 and com2, this one reports itself to Windoze as com3, etc) and you plug the commy cable to the DB9 side, and wheeeeeeeeee - 115kb link is on the way! Must be gr8 for data transfer etc.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll post the experiences. I can't wait to make my backup, the whole C: and D: drive in less than 5 minutes!

Keep ya posted,
be well!

FatBoy
26-09-2003, 12:37 AM
YES, I have been wondering about this for a long time, but the salesman who is also my friend, says that even if you put the USB cable, you'll still get the same speed as the serial as the communicator is not designed to go any faster.

So I will be very intersted in your review tommorw.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bob. :)

sektor_1
26-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Anyway, tomorrow I'll post the experiences. I can't wait to make my backup, the whole C: and D: drive in less than 5 minutes!

Keep ya posted,
be well!

I seriously doubt it, the limiting factor is the speed of the interface on the commy, yes you can get lots of speed via the usb bit it still has to go via slow serial port, try it anyway.

The chain is only as strong as the weakest link, in this case the blasted serial interface on the commy!

BUT

keep us updated :-)

markozob
26-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Yup...
It aint working. Connection is somewhat faster, but as far as I measured, it's 57600. Nuttin' more.
So, actually, it does speed things up a bit, but not much. Barely noticable.

IMHO, it ain't worth $11 just to speed things up unnoticeably...

See y'all!