PDA

View Full Version : 6100 problems

Swiftfox
27-09-2003, 09:44 AM
my 6100 doesnt seem to know jar or jad files! if i upload some of these files to my webspace and i wap to it, and try to download, it says unknown file type! help!
thx

Thanh
30-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Hello :)

If you get "unknown file type", the fault lies within your webspace provider. Two factors:

1) your webspace needs to be "hot-link" enabled
2) the web server needs to "know" the file types you upload

If either isn't fullfilled, it won't work. Most webspace providers do not allow hotlinking, that is, accessing files directly without gong thru a website of that same provider. Try uploading a jpg image to your webspace, and then download that via WAP. If it goes "unknown file type" again, that's the issue - no hotlinking enabled.
If the picture can be downloaded (phone will say "Image received") hen the web server does not "understand" .jar and .jad types. You need to work with a "htaccess" file then, which is also prohibited by some web providers.

Other than that, i recommend you get a fee web account at www.tripod.com This webhost allows hotlinking AND permits the upload, download and storage of files like .jar, .jad and .mid which enables you not only to up/download games, but also ringtones. If you do so, make sure that your tripod account got a index.html file in it to make it lok like a homepage, since tripod does not want their accounts to be used as "storage only".
Have alook at my own tripod site at http://thanhwap.tripod.com to see how that may look in the end, i dedicated that site for free downloading of wallpapers and ringtones (and games, but now suspended due to piracy issues). Remember that it is a website, to be browsed with the computer, yet the content (pictures and ringtone (midi) files) can be downloaded via WAP.
I give you here two direct-links to games, which are not pirated but free ware (from Nokia, come either original with the phone or been "bonus" (free!) download from Club Nokia:

http://thanhwap.tripod.com/games/snake.jar
http://thanhwap.tripod.com/games/RedBlue.jar

Be carefull with upper-and lower case leters, and don't forget the ending .jar when typing that into your WAP browser. If thes should NOT download to your phone, please let me know. Snake will install in "games" while "Red & Blue" will go to "Applications".
After you enter the adress, the phone will automatically downlad, which takes a little while. It then will display some info about the game, and offer "dwnload" (!). Just confirm, and the game will install. By linking directly to the .jar file, you save some time and hassle........

Please let me know if all worked!
Kind regards.......
your Thanh

Swiftfox
30-09-2003, 11:04 PM
ill try this, thx for all ur info mate!

If you get "unknown file type", the fault lies within your webspace provider. Two factors:

If either isn't fullfilled, it won't work. Most webspace providers do not allow hotlinking, that is, accessing files directly without gong thru a website of that same provider. Try uploading a jpg image to your webspace, and then download that via WAP. If it goes "unknown file type" again, that's the issue - no hotlinking enabled.
If the picture can be downloaded (phone will say "Image received") hen the web server does not "understand" .jar and .jad types. You need to work with a "htaccess" file then, which is also prohibited by some web providers.

Other than that, i recommend you get a fee web account at www.tripod.com This webhost allows hotlinking AND permits the upload, download and storage of files like .jar, .jad and .mid which enables you not only to up/download games, but also ringtones. If you do so, make sure that your tripod account got a index.html file in it to make it lok like a homepage, since tripod does not want their accounts to be used as "storage only".
Have alook at my own tripod site at http://thanhwap.tripod.com to see how that may look in the end, i dedicated that site for free downloading of wallpapers and ringtones (and games, but now suspended due to piracy issues). Remember that it is a website, to be browsed with the computer, yet the content (pictures and ringtone (midi) files) can be downloaded via WAP.
I give you here two direct-links to games, which are not pirated but free ware (from Nokia, come either original with the phone or been "bonus" (free!) download from Club Nokia:

http://thanhwap.tripod.com/games/snake.jar
http://thanhwap.tripod.com/games/RedBlue.jar

Be carefull with upper-and lower case leters, and don't forget the ending .jar when typing that into your WAP browser. If thes should NOT download to your phone, please let me know. Snake will install in "games" while "Red & Blue" will go to "Applications".
After you enter the adress, the phone will automatically downlad, which takes a little while. It then will display some info about the game, and offer "dwnload" (!). Just confirm, and the game will install. By linking directly to the .jar file, you save some time and hassle........

Please let me know if all worked!
Kind regards.......
your Thanh

Pit
09-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Hello!

Best thanks for your description.
Now I have 3300, and the only way I found to upload apps (except music) is website download. I have own Appache set-up on my PC. What is your suggestion for .htaccess modifying?
Plz help.

PiT

[QUOTE=Thanh]Hello :)

-------------cut----------------

Thanh
10-11-2003, 05:11 AM

Unfortunately i don't know about the settings or descriptions needed for the actual htaccess file.... i only know that it "teaches" the used server about the conent used, so it contains "mime type decriptions". I have never done an own htaccess file, i once tried to use on i downloaded somewhere here in the forum, but it was not supported by Tripod. I then tried to get a colour operator logo, a .nol file, which Tripod does NOT support.

I think if you do a search in the forums, you may be able to find a usable htaccess file......... good luck!!

Kind regards.....
your Thanh