PDA

View Full Version : Twin-SIM locks one of the SIM's..?

Thanh
29-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Hi there :)

Two days ago i purchased a twin-SIM back cover for my beloved 6610, making me able to use WAP without having to open the phone each time to change the SIM (my original network does not have WAP, but i got another pre-paid SIM which uses another network that DOES).

Now it works pretty perfect, except one mysteriousity.

A few times, while i am using GPRS with the second SIM, the connection breaks and the phone then says "SIM card rejected" just as if it were locked. It has never been locked! And it does it only while, or better "After breakdown" using GPRS.

What could cause this? After i switch to the other SIM and back to this one, it is "normal" again. I tried to change the SIM's (swap them in the twin-SIM thingy) but same result. It's not always! just sometimes........

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Kind regards...
Thanh

James Watt
08-10-2003, 12:22 AM

Two days ago i purchased a twin-SIM back cover for my beloved 6610, making me able to use WAP without having to open the phone each time to change the SIM (my original network does not have WAP, but i got another pre-paid SIM which uses another network that DOES).

Now it works pretty perfect, except one mysteriousity.

A few times, while i am using GPRS with the second SIM, the connection breaks and the phone then says "SIM card rejected" just as if it were locked. It has never been locked! And it does it only while, or better "After breakdown" using GPRS.

What could cause this? After i switch to the other SIM and back to this one, it is "normal" again. I tried to change the SIM's (swap them in the twin-SIM thingy) but same result. It's not always! just sometimes........

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Kind regards...
Thanh

Hi Thanh.

I have a similar problem with my 3510i and Twin-Sim Back.
It seems the newer SIM cards do not like the distance from the Phone SIM contacts to the Twin-SIM back contacts. Also the position in the holder makes a difference.

Have you tried each SIM Direct in the phone connecter while using the WAP service? I did with mine, and I have no problem.

I think the radiation from the phone causes a problem with the link between the phone SIM holder and the Twin-SIM back.

This is a form of Electromagnetic Compatibility problem.

I have no cure for it I'm sorry to tell you.

Regards from James Watt

Thanh
08-10-2003, 08:08 AM

Thank you very much for replying........ i did yet not find out what the problem was, or "is" because that prepaid card is empty now and i did not use it since :)
Anyway i am most likely going to change both phones and networks, it may be as soon as coming weekend....... then i will leave Nokia for a while, because i want to change to the CDMA network here and they yet still don't have any Nokia's, so i will go with a japanese flip phone for a while untill i can get a decent Nokia again..... Financial reasons! The CDMA plans suit me pretty good where the GSM bills eat most of my salary - i don't want that anymore, and still the network got no WAP, and if i need to get a new number anyway, it does not matter if i change to another GSM network or take CDMA........ just that CDMA is worlds better in terms of costs AND features. The then required Sanyo phone is a downside, yet, heck, i still keep my 5130 to have a GSM backup :) And as soon as i can get some 3105 or 6225 from somewhere, i will be back on track again :) Luckily our CDMA here got SIM cards :)

Kind regards....
your Thanh

James Watt
08-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi againThanh.

I suppose the technology is still progressing.

I wonder if you want to change your "Signature" now?

Sanyo, instead of Nokia ? :-)

Regards and good luck
James Watt

Thanh
08-10-2003, 10:11 AM
dear James :)

Don't worry, my signature is never going to change.... Nokia is best, forget the rest! But i might change that remark "I love Aod and my 6610" to "I love Aod and my SCP-550" :) That Sanyo is a japanese (1) flip phone (2), and here's the explanation:

(1) can be used, but shalt not be worshipped.
(2) almost unacceptable but still CAN be used!

But yet - it is a damn cute phone, and it's got a thing that Nokia was yet unable to bring........ BLUE METALLIC covers!!! Not even the blue of a set of 7250 covers hit my taste exactly, but this Sanyo does!! I fell for this phone when i saw it the very first time, being only put off by (1) and (2)....... Ands honest, since then i also got VERY interested in CDMA, as you might be able to trace my threads and/or replies in the forums, i started to get more into CDMA. And now the last bill from my GSM 1800 is in my pocket, and it is sort of the "death kiss" for my 3-year partnership with that network........ again beyond 2.000 Baht almost only for business calls, which in the CDMA wouild have been entirely covered by the free minutes in the lowest (1.080 Baht) plan, plus there i get another 1000 (!!!) intra-network minutes, 100 SMS, 50 MMS, UNLIMITED DATA (at 153 kb/s! Screw that modem i use now!), html (www!) right on the phone etc etc etc....... Where my GSM don't bother even installing WAP for a start, forcing me to fiddle with multiple SIM's. Don't even mention MMS........ that's why i didn't buy a 7250 in the first place, what a cam for when i can't send the pics??

The Sanyo further got photo caller ID, like the 7250i, and i can assign not only specific ringtones to an unlimited (!) number of caller groups (yes, i can set as many of them as i want) but also to individual numbers! It allows e-mail on the phone (Hutch customers get a hutch e-mail adress, that can even be used on the PC with outlook express, tough not webmail), got a freakin' real www browser AND WAP, damn free game downloads via Hutch portal, 16 channel poly, and colour LCD on both outside (72x72, 4096 colours) and inside (120x144, 65k colours), supports standard java games (i love to play my nokia games on that bitch! It's gotta work) and the software which comes with it's data cable (pretty much like DKU-5, USB plug'n'play but below half the price!) is of a kind where Nokia's PC Suite can't even look at without being ashamed....... picture? select, upload to phone, done! No fiddling with the size. Same downloading, connect it, press "download" and select destination folder, done! Same for ringtones and games....... and as modem, just connect the cable, it's detected as "Sanyo USB phone" and just use THAT to connect to the internet, and away you fly at 153 kb/s.......... not even "broadband" here in Thailand get's that fast.
And the best.... it is CDMA, but using the almost brand-new R-UIM technology, that is, SIM cards for the normally SIM-less network. And as easy as in GSM, popping the SIM in another compatible phone..... and there ya go :) For sure, i will have the Sanyo for a while as i am far from "rich" but once i can get my dirty fingers on a lovely CDMA Nokia WITH R-UIM, i'll get it and back to good ol' Nokia series 40, which i learned to love. I think even i'm going "foreign" with a (1)(2) i will keep all my games, my 4-channel ringtones and my wallpaper anyway :) Heck, i drove ONLY Volkswagen in germany, and here i changed to Volvo, yet.... i also like that one, but should EVER someone bother to import a second hand Polo G-40 into Thailand, the Volvo will be gone and i drive what i used to drive before :) I always go back to what i know, and learned to love........ my entire life. My very first boyfriend, at age 16, was a thai guy in germany.... and ten years later i went back to that root, with myself leaving home and going to Thailand, and since three years i got a thai boyfriend again, and won't ever change that for the rest of my life! So with Nokia.... i will sure be back once it will be available.... and NokiaFREE won't lose me as i ALWAYS will keep my 5130 anyway, which i built a flasher for and had my first flashing experience with..........

Sorry to have bored you............ i was in the mood to let it all out.....

Kind regards...
your Thanh