PDA

View Full Version : The 3300 Headset...

Pinch
29-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Hey there...
I must admit, when i bought this phone, it was mainly because it had all the music features - and I'm really satisfied with it!
The only problem is the fact that i can't use some ordinary headphones instead of the head-set... Or can I? :)

Is it possible to somehow use some good headphones, instead of the head-set? - Like in other other mp3 player ;)

Pinch

Pinch
03-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Doesn't anyone know?

James Watt
04-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Hey there...
I must admit, when i bought this phone, it was mainly because it had all the music features - and I'm really satisfied with it!
The only problem is the fact that i can't use some ordinary headphones instead of the head-set... Or can I? :)

Is it possible to somehow use some good headphones, instead of the head-set? - Like in other other mp3 player ;)

Pinch

Yes you can use it with a normal headset, BUT! you need to use a converter adaptor because the plug that goes into the phone base is meant to be used with a microphone/earphone combination. The switch shorts out the microphone and the inbuilt circuit detects a voltage change which enables calls to be made and terminated.

You need to obtain a cable with the correct plug on it, e.g. bargain bin headset, then rewire it to a suitable 3.5mm socket. It will be Mono, but you could wire it to provide both left and right output for "Walkman" type headset.

It could also be connected to powered speakers for greater output.

Regards from James Watt

Pinch
04-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Yes you can use it with a normal headset, BUT! you need to use a converter adaptor because the plug that goes into the phone base is meant to be used with a microphone/earphone combination. The switch shorts out the microphone and the inbuilt circuit detects a voltage change which enables calls to be made and terminated.

You need to obtain a cable with the correct plug on it, e.g. bargain bin headset, then rewire it to a suitable 3.5mm socket. It will be Mono, but you could wire it to provide both left and right output for "Walkman" type headset.

It could also be connected to powered speakers for greater output.

Regards from James Watt

You have a guide or something? Could you describe it a bit more detailed? I really wanna do this, but I have no idea of how to...

How about just cutting the two lines that connects the speakers to the mic, and then just add a different headphone set? Would that be possible?

James Watt
04-10-2003, 01:14 PM
You have a guide or something? Could you describe it a bit more detailed? I really wanna do this, but I have no idea of how to...

How about just cutting the two lines that connects the speakers to the mic, and then just add a different headphone set? Would that be possible?

Hi again.

I have prepared some information that can enable you to do what you desire. I'm not sure how adept you are with a soldering iron though.
But take a look at the attachments anyway.

Good Luck
Regards from James Watt

Pinch
05-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi again.

I have prepared some information that can enable you to do what you desire. I'm not sure how adept you are with a soldering iron though.
But take a look at the attachments anyway.

Good Luck
Regards from James Watt

I'm affraid I can't use that - The 3300 doesn't use those connections. The headset that came with the phone was the Stereoheadset HDS-3H, and I'm not able to connect anything else (Unless it uses the same connection).

Can you still help me?

James Watt
05-10-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm affraid I can't use that - The 3300 doesn't use those connections. The headset that came with the phone was the Stereoheadset HDS-3H, and I'm not able to connect anything else (Unless it uses the same connection).

Can you still help me?

Hi again Pinch.

Ooops !! Silly me, in my haste to do too many jobs at the same time, I mistook your model of phone for 3330!

It is still possible to do what you wish, but obviously the headset connector to your 3300 will differ. You'll still need to obtain another connector, in order to rewire it to get the stereo from the phone.

I'm afraid I don't have the connection details of your phone connector, but perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge of it, can take up the challenge?

Regards from James Watt

Pinch
06-10-2003, 06:41 PM
perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge of it, can take up the challenge?
Please do! http://nokiafree.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

suavecito
07-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Please do! http://nokiafree.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

The only thing to do this is try to find a defective N3300 and keep its headset and use it. The problem with 3300 is it uses a "pop-port" to connect USB, Headset etc. to the phone.

Pinch
14-10-2003, 08:24 PM
No one who has an alternative way to solve this problem?

I'm sure alot of other people would like to know this too...

Jools666
14-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Im working on this at the moment

Currently I have a pop-port block with a 2.5mm socket on it. This was purchased from a local market for a couple of quid. I then got a 2.5mm > 3.5mm converter and thought I was sorted. Problem is that the audio output is mono.

I took the pop-port block apart and connected the 4th pin (not sure why there are 4 though), this however gave me 'dual' mono so not proper stereo.

Im going to get a better soldering iron and take apart the block properly and find the right combination of connectors.

If anybody has any suggestions or help in this area it would be appreciated.

Jools666
14-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Here is a picture of what I have so far (including the red wire I soldered)

Pinch
15-12-2003, 04:43 AM
Would it be possible, to just cut the wire above the answering-thingie, and then just attach the new headphones to them? Isn't the wire above the Thing just like any normal headphone-cord (just extremely thin)?

Jools666
20-12-2003, 09:40 PM
Probably but the white answering/mic thingy is very annoying

Ive been playing with the connector I have, unsoldered the points, I can get left only, right only and both, but all have the stereo mixed into mono, rather than the individual channels. Maybe the connector I used (from a cheap handsfree kit) is not wired to the pop-port properly.

I didn't want to do this but at this point may buy another headset and just hack the cable off and connect it to my current headphones. Not ideal but im running out of ideas.