PDA

View Full Version : New Nokia 6800 from america won't work in UK???

tim5150
03-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Bought an AT&T Nokia 6800 from the states on Ebay and unlocked it this morning but it won't read any UK or Europe sims??? I have been told that this is a dual band phone and will only read American single band widht of 1900 MHZ - Uk , asia and europe work on dual band of 800 and 1800 I think - is there anything that can be done to make my phone work or am I snookered?

Cheers in advance

Yotamz
03-10-2003, 01:30 PM
both 6800 versions (u.s and europe) are dual-band, but different frequencies.

american version: 850/1900 MHz
european version: 900/1800 MHz

the freqcuency is in the phone's hardware, and it can't be changed. you have to replace it with a local 6800 that will support the networks' frequencies in the uk.

if you want to buy in ebay and you are in the uk, the best place is http://www.ebay.co.uk/

tim5150
03-10-2003, 01:39 PM
both 6800 versions (u.s and europe) are dual-band, but different frequencies.

american version: 850/1900 MHz
european version: 900/1800 MHz

the freqcuency is in the phone's hardware, and it can't be changed. you have to replace it with a local 6800 that will support the networks' frequencies in the uk.

if you want to buy in ebay and you are in the uk, the best place is http://www.ebay.co.uk/

CANYOU REPLACE THE HARDWARE WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY ANOTHER COMPLETE 6800 - WOULD BE PRETTY POINTLESS AFTER JUST BUYING A NEW 6800 TO HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE - SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Yotamz
03-10-2003, 02:13 PM
it might be possible, but i haven't done it, i don't know of anyone who has, and i don't know which components you have to replace (sure it invloves more than one).
besides, you will not find the components anywhere for sale, as this change is not a "normal" hardware repair/upgrade, you will have to take the parts from another 6800.

i'm sorry to say that, but there are things you have to check before you buy a mobile phone, and if i knew how to fix the problem and which components you need - i would be happy to help you.

i suggest that you sell the phone, and get one in uk.

akkhandelwal
04-10-2003, 06:40 AM
I also bought a nokia 6800 after checking Nokia website and thought it will work with 900 MHz band.
How in the world one would imagine that Nokia is selling the same model with different variation for different market, without changing the model number.
Nokia should have made some difference in the Model number so that people dont get confused, like they have done for 3650 and 3600.

Yotamz
04-10-2003, 12:52 PM
i really don't understand why they did it. at the beginning all the models that ended with 9x were for u.s market, and worked with 1900 MHz frequency. then nokia changed their numbering method and started using numbers that end with 00, and names like n-gage, and now they even give two models the same name. it seems that model numbers don't mean anything now.
but, this is how it is, whether we like it or not.. :-?

the 6800 in the nokia site that you saw is the european version, as it is in nokia.com . but if you would look in www.nokiausa.com - you would see the u.s version..

and...6800 is (currently) the only model that has two versions with the same name, and i hope it will stay that way..