PDA

View Full Version : 5510 Contact Service

Gazzz
04-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Hey guys. I've done a search already so don't flame me.

apparently this is quite the common problem. Only I didn't edit my phone in any manner. It was sitting on my desk idling as it would normally, when the lights come on. I notice this and take a closer look, "CONTACT SERVICE" is all thats displayed... i'm sure you have all heard of it... but I just can't find a deffinate fix for it! I haven't changed anything about my phone whatsoever, and by the looks it only happens when installing language packs. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as I can't find the receipt :lol:

Thanks in advance, -Gazzz

aamszia
06-10-2003, 12:00 AM
The fone required complete Flashing .
Id You don't have all the Hardware, Its better for You to goto Nearest Service Centre
& they will do Hand to hand.

Thank You

Gazzz
06-10-2003, 09:51 AM
ok, thanks mate.. one more question... What is a Service Center?

a telstra shop?

chunkhead
08-10-2003, 01:01 PM
No, a Telstra shop is a shop with people who don't know a phone from a tube of toothpaste! But... go back to the shop where you bought it from and tell them that you would like a firmware update! These are free! Do not tell them there is anything wrong with the phone! They will flash it for free and fix your problem!

Gazzz
08-10-2003, 01:17 PM
i wish mate... i brought it back today, warranty, reciept and warranty brochure in hand to dick smith electronics, who were good about it. They rang the "prestige protection" people who I bought the 2 year extended warranty from. First off the spun some crap about telstra's network 'advancing' and leaving older phones behind... like really! what a dumb#$@! THEN! when i told him he was talkin s*** he changed his story to the warranty not covering software! what should i do??? he's also saying that at best it's gonna cost me $50 to get the phone there! Im not paying one cent to get my phone fixed. I'm the one with a phone, receipt, warranty. The nokia 12 month warranty expired 3 weeks ago :'( . This is absolute bullcrap. Prestige protection = scamming insurance agency!! but of course they happily took my money.

plz reply quick! thx.

-Gazzz

chunkhead
08-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Sadly, I'm not in Oz at the moment, I could have fixed it for you for just postage costs... but try and find someone who has flash cables to sort it for you, or some who works in a phone shop! You could always buy some cables yourself and become one of us!!!?

Gazzz
08-10-2003, 01:40 PM
CH, when are you back in Oz? I'm not worried about voiding warranty anymore, these assholes won't cover anything anyway.

Gazzz
08-10-2003, 01:51 PM
My elder brother, (full time computer dood) just brought forward the argument ' firmware is not software ' this any good?

marky752000
08-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Go here

http://www.nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,37170,00.html

Find you nearest service centre, ring them and ask if your phone is still under warranty

Because a Nokia warranty runs for 18 months from the date of manufacture, not from when you bought the phone. (if it's out of the 18 month period you normally need a receipt to say that you bought it less then 12 months ago)

if it is they will fix it for free

If its out, follow chuckhead's advice and get some cables (its interesting what you can do with nokia phones)

Best Regards

Mark

Gazzz
09-10-2003, 09:02 AM
there was a 12 month nokia warranty with it when purchased, and that ran out 3 weeks ogo :mad:

Gazzz
22-10-2003, 02:50 PM
just thought i'd let u guys know how i went with my prob...

Nokia graciously extended their warrenty by 3 weeks to cover me in a "Gesture of goodwill for customer relations on this occassion only" which i reckon is pretty spesh. I've just gotta get it there within 6 days (should take 1) and they're do the whole flash and firmware update for me.

I'd like to thank all those who followed this thread and offered their oppinions and assistance and especially to you chunkhead, you're a legend :)

kthxbie

-Gazzz

chunkhead
25-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Too easy my friend, glad you got it sorted in the end!!!

Gazzz
26-10-2003, 03:16 AM
it isn't returned yet hehe

e700 wapman
27-06-2004, 11:32 PM
dont know if this has any thing to do with the problem but it might help some one in the future.
i have a 3410 that showed up contact service for some reason.
i thought i'd look into it and when i had it hooked up to the pc i ran nokia tool which said all four locks on the phone were closed.
all i had to do to fix contact service was unlock the phone so all four locks were set to open. it's never played up since.
hope it helps anyway.