PDA

View Full Version : WAP GPRS on t-mobile uk

NIVAGNES
04-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Please can you help.
i have just purchased a nokia 3510i
put a T-mobile UK sim in it.
but am only able to go on the wap through GSM DATA
when i change it to GPRS it will not connect!

i thought i could use the phone on WAP GPRS.
and also heard that once on it i would only pay for what i download.

have i got something wrong in the settings?
i tried to find answers on T-mobile web site but get nowhere.

any direction please...

Nivagnes

James Watt
05-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Please can you help.
i have just purchased a nokia 3510i
put a T-mobile UK sim in it.
but am only able to go on the wap through GSM DATA
when i change it to GPRS it will not connect!

i thought i could use the phone on WAP GPRS.
and also heard that once on it i would only pay for what i download.

have i got something wrong in the settings?
i tried to find answers on T-mobile web site but get nowhere.

any direction please...

Nivagnes

Hi.
I have a 3510i that was originally on O2. The WAP/GPRS and other settings were set up for O2. After I unlocked the phone so I could use other Networks I had to alter the Settings, e.g. for Vodafone.

The GPRS mode is not really suitable for the 3510i as it is not as fully featured as the more costly phones, such as the 6310i. Therefore the WAP browsing is paid for by the minute, or part thereof. In my case, with O2 and Vodafone it is 10 pence/minute (1 pence/6 seconds)

What SIM Card was originally in your phone?

If you have purchased the phone as Brand New, you will have the "User Guide" and possibly a pack of instructions from the Network.

You need to alter the settings for T-Mobile in order to be able to use the Wap facility.

Check that the T-Mobile SIM Card itself is "DATA Enabled", because the older ones were not.

Take a look at the attached document and make the entries in your phone according to the settings shown.

On the phone, select "Menu/Services/Settings" Take a look at what it is set to. There are 5 settings that can be made. Do not change the default one, just use "Set 2" or "Set 3" and change the name to "T-Mobile GSM"
To change it to T-Mobile, select "Edit active settings" and enter the required information.

When done, go back to "Services" and select "Home". You can add "Bookmarks " later.

Good Luck.
Regards from James Watt

NIVAGNES
05-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks James for replying.
the original chip was 02, got it from Tesco and unlocked it.

i will sit and go through the settings and make sure everthing is the same as your document.

it might be this chip has not been enabled.
but even if it is, does it still mean that the phone will not technically surf using GPRS? but still GSM?

thanks again

Nivagnes :)

James Watt
05-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks James for replying.
the original chip was 02, got it from Tesco and unlocked it.

i will sit and go through the settings and make sure everthing is the same as your document.

it might be this chip has not been enabled.
but even if it is, does it still mean that the phone will not technically surf using GPRS? but still GSM?

thanks again

Nivagnes :)

Hi again.

If you turn to page 38 (Section 6) of the User Manual, you'll notice you can only set up the WAP service. GPRS is not a feature for the 3510i.

I allowed myself to believe, that the information I read in the Carphone Warehouse Buyers Guide, meant that it would work GPRS. A little confusing to say the least. But if you compare the cost of it to ones that are for GPRS, you'll see why.
Unless of course someone has found a way to do it for the Pay As You Go models. I doubt that is available on the Contract ones either.

So I'll keep on paying 10 pence/minute.

But! If you get the O2 SIM Cards PAYG, you can get up to 3000 minutes over 30 days free, that is what I used to begin with to see what was on offer. I declined to sign up for O2 Active, so some of the features I cannot use.
I used to Log-On to the T-Mobile Wap Site, but it would not allow me full access via the O2 Network.
I'm now using Vodafone Live, but cannot get the colour pictures as the 3510i is not really capable to utilise the service.

Regards from James Watt

Viktor2002
01-11-2003, 01:11 PM
GPRS DOES work on a nokia 3510i. I use it but t-mobile do not give GPRS on pay as you go you need O2 for that. I had mine on t-mobile till i changed the sim and emailed O2 and they switched my GPRS on. It works great now.

danjkerry
02-11-2003, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry James, but Nivgnes is right. Without GPRS, surely the 3510i wouldn't be able to send/recieve MMS. In the manual, it tells you about GPRS Connections, and i quote top of page 41 "The GPRS connection is suspended." I can also stand as an eye witness to my friends 3510i on o2 connecting via GPRS. You can even select GPRS as the data bearer on Menu 12-4-2-5. Conclusive evidence.

I have found that on my Virgin UK SIM, i have connected to the T-Mobile GSM data bearer with the IP address ect. provided above. But you can't connect to 02 gprs on your t-mobile sim. Curious.

Sombody somewhere must have a t-mobile sim with gprs, to give away their connection details.

danjkerry
02-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Oh, and make what you want of this!

T-Mobile GPRS settings (WAP):

Homepage: http://wap.t-mobile.co.uk/ or http://www.t-zones.co.uk
GPRS APN address: general.t-mobile.uk
Gateway (IP) address :149.254.001.010
Username : user
Password: wap
Session type: Continuous / permanent
Port number: 9201

SMTP email server: smtp.t-email.co.uk

Viktor2002
03-11-2003, 04:48 PM
You cannot connect to t-mobile GPRS unless you are on contract they monitor all connections unfortunetly. I tried to connect before i got my phone unlocked and switched to o2

rsmithcol
10-11-2003, 08:18 PM
02 GPRS works fine, ive been using it for 6 months, and i get 1.5Mbs free data a month, and so far its never charged me a penny :-)

its T-Mobile that doesnt enable the GPRS, its nothing to do with the 3510i not supporting it, as this is what i've been using for 6 months!

Rsmithcol