PDA

View Full Version : 900/1800 Mhz

themarti
07-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, I have a 6110 which only works with 900Mhz.

My question: What is technically necessary to deal with 1800Mhz? Which part of the phone is responsible? I guess it's not just a software thing? ;-)

So... is there any way I can make my 6110 work with 1800Mhz?

Thx for ur help,
Marti

James Watt
07-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Hey guys, I have a 6110 which only works with 900Mhz.

My question: What is technically necessary to deal with 1800Mhz? Which part of the phone is responsible? I guess it's not just a software thing? ;-)

So... is there any way I can make my 6110 work with 1800Mhz?

Thx for ur help,
Marti

Hi Marti.

I'm wondering why you have come to think your phone only uses the lower GSM Band?

In the UK, O2 and Vodafone Networks use the 900MHz Band, and T-Mobile and Orange use the 1800MHz Band.

Virgin uses the Vodafone Network, and Fresh uses the T-Mobile Network

If your phone is locked to an 900MHz Network, then it will not be able to use the 1800MHz Band unless you have it unlocked.

I have an old GSM phone locked to O2, and when I go abroad it only uses the 900MHz Networks, whereas my wife's newer phone (Nokia 3310) can use more of the networks as it is a Dual Bander.

I have since purchased a 3510i and unlocked it, so I can use both bands, and any of the 4 Networks available to me here in the UK.

So there you have it in a nutshell. It is the Network SIM Card that determines which Band is used.

Just out of interest, what country are you in?

Regards from James Watt

themarti
08-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Hi James,

I'm from Austria. We have 6 mobile phone providers, all 6 support 1800Mhz, but only 2 support 900Mhz.

I already unlocked the phone, that's not the problem. But according to my informations, the 6110 is not a dual bander, which means (am I wrong?) that it doesn't support 1800Mhz, I fear it's a hardware problem.

But well, maybe it's not and somebody out there knows a solution...

Regards to you & thx for the Industrial Revolution!
Marti

James Watt
08-10-2003, 09:38 AM
Hi James,

I'm from Austria. We have 6 mobile phone providers, all 6 support 1800Mhz, but only 2 support 900Mhz.

I already unlocked the phone, that's not the problem. But according to my informations, the 6110 is not a dual bander, which means (am I wrong?) that it doesn't support 1800Mhz, I fear it's a hardware problem.

Marti

Hi again Marti.

I have contacted Nokia, and the 6110 model is indeed only a 900MHz Band GSM phone. It is not a hardware problem as such, it just does not have the capabilities, as it was designed to use only 900MHz.

Therefore it is NOT possible to use the 1800MHz band. Your only solution is to buy another model that is a Dual Band one.

Regards from James Watt

themarti
09-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi James,

Thx for ur research. I got a dual band phone, I just got an old phone from a friend and I wanted to fool around with it a lil, so first I unlocked it, now I wanna see what else I can do to it ;-)

I'm not surprised Nokia doesn't offer any solutions, but maybe some freaks out there found a way to modify it...

Bye, Marti