PDA

View Full Version : 6100 Prob Question...

joeriverdeyen
07-10-2003, 10:49 PM
I have a Nokia 6100,
I can send sms messages to my friends,
but I can't make phone call with it...
Becouse:
I found the phone, and couldn't find the owner back
so,
I try to use the phone by myself, but i think the owner blocked the phone.
Cuz when I wan tto make a phone call, they say i should call the operator about the problem ... the phone is blocked: cause : lost/stolen.
How do i repair this? :sad:
kind regards

browntoa
07-10-2003, 10:59 PM
you can't repair it.....

joeriverdeyen
07-10-2003, 11:06 PM
you can't repair it.....
how do ya mean ?
data cable ...

James Watt
07-10-2003, 11:54 PM
I have a Nokia 6100,
Becouse:
so,
Cuz when I wan tto make a phone call, they say i should call the operator about the problem ... the phone is blocked: cause : lost/stolen.
kind regards

Basically you do NOT own the phone.

Take it to your local police station and let them contact the owner.

If you bought a phone with your hard earned money, then lost it, how would you feel and what would you do?

Regards from James Watt

joeriverdeyen
08-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Basically you do NOT own the phone.

Take it to your local police station and let them contact the owner.

If you bought a phone with your hard earned money, then lost it, how would you feel and what would you do?

Regards from James Watt

Thx,
Indeed AND i would accept the honnesty of the person...
sow... 2morrow i'm walking to the police station...
but do you think here in belguim they would give a damn about it?
they just say, okey thank you and they use it by themself, i don't think the owner will ever see his phone again... i'm serieus...
but OK,

If any one knows how to solve this prob, they are welcome ..

James Watt
08-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Thx,
Indeed AND i would accept the honnesty of the person...
sow... 2morrow i'm walking to the police station...
but do you think here in belguim they would give a damn about it?
they just say, okey thank you and they use it by themself, i don't think the owner will ever see his phone again... i'm serieus...
but OK,

Hi again Joe.

Thanks for your goodness, of course the police would not be able to use the phone either.

In the UK, lost or stolen phones that are reported, have their details registered on a DataBase which all Networks use so they can block them. I'm sure this is the case in other countries.

God bless you Joe.
Regards from James watt

joeriverdeyen
08-10-2003, 06:08 PM
ok,
I gave him back :sad:
I'm blessed:)
But still i don't get it
how do they block your phone if ya change a simcard...
some new system or ?

James Watt
08-10-2003, 08:39 PM
ok,
I gave him back :sad:
I'm blessed:)
But still i don't get it
how do they block your phone if ya change a simcard...
some new system or ?

Well done Joe.

All Mobile Phones have a unique 15 digit code known as an IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identifier) number that is sent to the Network each time it is interrogated. The SIM card is another number, that each network can identify as one of its own.

When a phone is reported lost, or stolen, it is the IMEI number that is used.
In the UK it is illegal to alter the IMEI number, and could mean up to 5 years in prison for the offender. Mobile Phone crime is taken more seriously here now.
A phone mugger can also expect a prison sentence.

Kind regards from James Watt

joeriverdeyen
08-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Well,
I'm happy i did it,
don't really know how they deal with stolen, in my case found phones.
They aren't really up to date here...
Belguim héy :)
Sow,
If you make a phone call they send your IMEI to the operator....
thing i dind't knew... thx
cheers,

btw: when you need the change a new nokia's IMEI you better get yourself a new phone ... it costs 10 phones to buy those things...

fixmup
12-10-2003, 04:05 PM
I have a Nokia 6100,
Becouse:
so,
kind regards
Joe,Iam not entirely sure if your phone is blocked since it lets the sim card send sms messages.In Oz ,if a unit is blocked , it won't even register on network with any sim at all,and I would be pretty shocked if in your country they can block voice transport but not data-pretty sophsticated and a waste of effort,since the handset can still be used to communicate.Still I have been wrong before, and am curious to get the right answer from anyone,as this seems a strange way to do things!!
Also if the police cannot find the owner,how ya gunna unblock it thru the network,unless you know of someone who can change the imei!!

cprafferty
13-10-2003, 01:32 AM
In the UK vodafone still allows you to send TXT but O2, orange and T-mobile block everything.

fixmup
13-10-2003, 03:35 PM
In the UK vodafone still allows you to send TXT but O2, orange and T-mobile block everything.
There you go ,I have learnt something new today! Isn't it funny that the same company ,in a different country,does completely different things.I notice that the telco's in your country locks handsets,even when on plan,which is pretty nasty,seeing that if you travel ,you have dramas everywhere you go.It is ominous then what will eventually happen over here.The only drama is that everone is used to having unlocked handsets,and may not take too kindly when they find their fones all lock up.Oh well I know a Bloke who can fix that-nyah nyah nyaaaah

James Watt
13-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi Fixmup.

I think there is a little confusion about this thread.

Networks SIM-Lock the phones to their Network, but this does not mean they cannot be used abroad. "Roaming" is the facility utilised that enables the user to still pay their Network whilst operating in another country.
For example:- If the user is going to be in another country for more than the 2 weeks holiday, and wishes to use the phone a lot to others in the country, it would be better to buy a local SIM Card. That will enable cheaper calls, rather than the Home Network charging for the privelige of going through a "host" Network.
Therefore Network Unlocking is popular, also if a user wishes to use another Network due to poor coverage in their area. (Like me)

Phone Blocking is where the phone will not work on any Network because the owner has reported it lost or stolen. In which case, the unique IMEI (International Mobile Identity) that each phone is programmed with, is entered onto a DataBase that all the Networks have access to, and deny that phone from being used.

Changing the IMEI Number is deemed illegal in an increasing number of countries. Here in the UK it is serious enough to warrant up to 5 years in prison.

Hope this clears things up?

Regards from James Watt

fixmup
14-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi Fixmup.

I think there is a little confusion about this thread.

Networks SIM-Lock the phones to their Network, but this does not mean they cannot be used abroad. "Roaming" is the facility utilised that enables the user to still pay their Network whilst operating in another country.
For example:- If the user is going to be in another country for more than the 2 weeks holiday, and wishes to use the phone a lot to others in the country, it would be better to buy a local SIM Card. That will enable cheaper calls, rather than the Home Network charging for the privelige of going through a "host" Network.
Therefore Network Unlocking is popular, also if a user wishes to use another Network due to poor coverage in their area. (Like me)

Phone Blocking is where the phone will not work on any Network because the owner has reported it lost or stolen. In which case, the unique IMEI (International Mobile Identity) that each phone is programmed with, is entered onto a DataBase that all the Networks have access to, and deny that phone from being used.

Changing the IMEI Number is deemed illegal in an increasing number of countries. Here in the UK it is serious enough to warrant up to 5 years in prison.

Hope this clears things up?

Regards from James Watt
Yep got it all mate-I am a tech and fix these little buggers for a living,and understand all the rules and reggies.However it is interesting that the rules change drastically in different countries,rules that u would suspect would be the same everywhere!! I mentioned changing the imei as a solution of sorts to clear my point,and did not mean as a thing to do[I hope ya not totally confused].However if the police and networks cannot,or are unwilling to, find the original owner,then instead of wasting the fone,then the only way out is to change the imei.Sometimes ya gotta 'bend' the rules as to beat the networks shortcomings.Instead of changeing the imei ,I could have said'make the software read the sim card,and would have got away with doing the same thing,as it is classed as 'software manipulation' and is quite legal.I don't think too many people in this forum are unaware of the rules for imei change,but to those who aren't,read everything in every thread and you will get the idea! Well mate ,hopefully you get my drift,and get what Imean about blockin' & lockin',and I hope I don't confuse ya anymore,or anyone else who reads this thread for that matter.Stay cool and don't let the system get ya 8-)

fixmup
14-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Yep got it all mate-I am a tech and fix these little buggers for a living,and understand all the rules and reggies.However it is interesting that the rules change drastically in different countries,rules that u would suspect would be the same everywhere!! I mentioned changing the imei as a solution of sorts to clear my point,and did not mean as a thing to do[I hope ya not totally confused].However if the police and networks cannot,or are unwilling to, find the original owner,then instead of wasting the fone,then the only way out is to change the imei.Sometimes ya gotta 'bend' the rules as to beat the networks shortcomings.Instead of changeing the imei ,I could have said'make the software read the sim card,and would have got away with doing the same thing,as it is classed as 'software manipulation' and is quite legal.I don't think too many people in this forum are unaware of the rules for imei change,but to those who aren't,read everything in every thread and you will get the idea! Well mate ,hopefully you get my drift,and get what Imean about blockin' & lockin',and I hope I don't confuse ya anymore,or anyone else who reads this thread for that matter.Stay cool and don't let the system get ya 8-)
Shiit-sorry mate I didnt' make meself clear about roaming locked handsets.When a fone is locked to a network and you go abroad,you have to roam,as u cannot use an overseas sim card .In Oz ,the roaming ,or IDD rate,is nearly $5/min. to send or recieve voice calls. THis is bloody expensive if ya travel for a year,so an unlocked fone is the go,as ya can use prepaid overseas sims .Hopefully everyone now has a clue as to what I am babbling about now! P.S-if ya travel abroad,get ya bloody fone unlocked as soon as ya land ,and use a prepaid sim,it is much cheaper