PDA

View Full Version : Reflux - Reheat - Reflow ???

CoCo
01-08-2002, 12:11 AM
Can someone please explain how these processes are carried out?

I have seen people saying get your phone refluxed etc but how do you do it?

Am I correct in thinking you need a “Rework Station” (whatever this is) to do it?

Is there a “Bodgers” (rough) way of doing it, with a hot air paint stripper perhaps?

Please enlighten me. :confused:

robert1721ph
01-08-2002, 12:19 AM
actually im not expert im also newbie here.

sometimes u have to rework ur cellphone if there is problems in ur cellphone hardware. Like No network, when u drop in water then it will dead, etc...

u use flux, hot hair, and other utilities to fix ur cellphone.

hope this ok.... (Please correct me if i am wrong )
;)

mycomms
01-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by robert1721ph
actually im not expert im also newbie here.

sometimes u have to rework ur cellphone if there is problems in ur cellphone hardware. Like No network, when u drop in water then it will dead, etc...

u use flux, hot hair, and other utilities to fix ur cellphone.

hope this ok.... (Please correct me if i am wrong )
;)

hm...hot HAIR...thats interesting....nah...jus kidding :P

can try to use a hot AIR blower...but not a hairdryer...haha...
just reflow them with some flux...which means gently heat the chips, hoover around.....but some of the chips with BGA DUN heat...or else ur phone might go dead.

robert1721ph
02-08-2002, 02:05 AM
sorry for my english spelling.....

to mycomms.....

if my cellphone with be dead, what should i do? i already re-heat my cellphone.

mycomms
02-08-2002, 12:01 PM
hm...then u must see what kind of dead izzit...water damaged ? drop damaged ? or its just go dead when encounter error in flashing....check ya phone and see what kind of damage b4 u carry on to reflow...otherwise...it will become worse than u thought. :P

soapboy
01-09-2002, 05:08 PM
I have used a hair drier to bring my nokia 8210 back to life, now it has full reception after about 10 minutes of hot air from a hair dryer around RF unit.

Exactly what is happening when we apply this hot air? Am I making the soldered connections more film?

Is this a good solution? or just a load of hot air?

KnOeFz
01-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Hot air is NOT a hairdryer :lol:

it a work station wit hot (around 200 celsius) air coming out of a small nozzle... you can heat components so the solder will melt and broken contacts will be fixed. This is called reflowing. Here you see an example of a hotair (rework) station:

http://www.planetgsm.nl/media/sunko8502inone.gif

Flux is a kind of paste/fluid to make the solder apply better. Dun't know how to describe it better.

Doin it with paintstripper and things is VERY dangerous... components can fall off the pcb easily as you have absolutely no control over the air stream or temperature.

-=K=-

downunder
02-09-2002, 03:19 AM
a little more info.

the hako work station and others like are fine for 'reflowing'
most cracked solder joints when used properly i.e. care and the right air flow/heat. ideally though for Ubga compents you should use a Smd rework station. these heat the board up in a more controled way, by heating from underneath and above to a precise point,(generally use a laser light to align the top heat nozzle). they have temp probe that is placed next to the
desired component so component/ic can be heated up correctly.
usually about 180c for reflowing and 195c if the ic has been replaced.

gazzaman2k
02-09-2002, 06:20 PM
u can use a hair dryer to do it i sorted out a non poewer 3210 with that.

it was a v3.00 s/w version 3210 and it would power up if i sprayed it with electrical cleaner then put the hairdyer on turbo and hot air for like 20 min then the fone would be scolding hot then i spray more electrical cleaner on it then it powered up. so then i flashed v6.00 software on it and it all works fine now.

i got a £45 purple hairdryer from out of argos it melts plastic when its on tops and if u keep it on for about 5 min lol.

not sorted out a 8210 by that way yet not had one to try it out on :(

soapboy
03-09-2002, 07:47 PM
i don't think i'll ever have enough money for a hot air station, they look very expensive.

A hair dryer can get quite hot, but has an uncontrolled heat stream. It heats up a large area :(

But in my opinion, the heat produced from a hair dryer, even over long periods of time (10minutes), is not high enough to damage components. Unless you have a crazy hair dryer.

But it's just high enough to reflow the solder? It worked for me!!!

Shidoshi
04-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Hmm...

So putting the phone in the oven while mum is roasting isn't a good idea you guys think? :p

-Dave

thelaw
18-09-2002, 11:34 PM
There is cheaper ways...

For example, antex sell a butane soldering iron that also has a hot are tip that is perfect for reflowing:

http://www.antex.co.uk/cgi-bin/htmlprint.cgi?436928424-073899&gasironsfs.htm

its nice and cheap too...

regards,
jon

freak
25-09-2002, 04:43 PM
HAIR DRYER IS PRETTY MUCH DIFFERENT from a heat gun matey but if you fixed your cellphone using it then i salute you.... havnt tried using a hair dryer..:D :D :D flux is a kind of chemical where you put it in the chip when you reheat it to avoin damage to the chip and likewise to help solder the chip to the pcb

correct me if im wrong.......................................:D

LIVE LIFE COOL