smartd
08-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Hello All.

New here need some help.

Components:

1. Thermal Printer with RS232 serial interface
2. Nokia 3310 or any other dct3 phone
3. RS232 Data Cable

Also 2 can be substituted for Java enabled phone if need be.

Without modifying the mobile phone or the thermal printer, how can I get an application of some sort going to have any sms msg received by the phone to be sent to the printer and printed automatically ? Is it possible to create a PLC on PCB design and connect to the phone on one side using data cable and to the printer on another side and to write a script in ASSEMBLY to read from phone using at commands and then printer drivers to send txt to printer ? Or maybe create a java application and load on a java-enabled phone ?

Your thoughts, Ideas, Comments, Tutorials, Tips, are all appreciated.

Looking for a low cost solution for possible volumes like 100 - 1000 later on but dont want to spend on external GSM Modem etc... want to use existing phone.

Regards,

D

skynet
15-10-2003, 12:42 AM
i think it would be cheaper (and much easier) to use an old pc (capable of runnung win95, eg a 486) instead of a plc... in that case u could program it eg in visual basic using activex fbus controls

aussiet68i
29-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Could be done with a micro and a nokia via Mbus... Could be done quite cheaply too.

natnat
31-10-2003, 12:02 PM
how?

any ready made VB code perhaps which you can upload here?

smartd
03-11-2003, 05:34 PM
I am really in need of assistance and even willing to pay a small fee if needed :)

For all of you who can help, please email me at [email protected] or lets chat on yahoo.msn.icq

I would appreciate if anyone can help me build a cheap "SMS Printer" prototype and look maybe into mass producing in a bit ?

Cheers,

D

Ice Draagon
28-11-2003, 07:28 AM
I think your setup should look like this:

GSMPhone <------>CircuitBoard<----------->ThermalPrinter

The GsmPhone is connected to the CircuitBoard using a datacable.

The CircuitBoard has a microprocessor with instructions to check the inbox for messages. When inbox has messages, it retrieves them from the phone and sends it to the ThermalPrinter for printing. After printing, it deletes the messages from the inbox.

Considerations:
1. There are lots of info regarding using microcontrollers communicating with Nokia GSM phone thru FBUS/MBUS protocol. So this one can be easily implemented.

2. The hard part will be how the microcontroller communicate with the ThermalPrinter.

3. When using a microcontroller, design a "box" that can be attached to your thermal printer and has a holder of your GSM phone. So that the whole package would normally look like a small FAX machine with the phone on the side, a keypad, an LCD screen and the printer on the uppper part.

Applications:
Such gadgets can be used for SMS-based:
1. Telegram Service
2. Ordering Service
3. System Log Service