PDA

View Full Version : 6100 usb data cable connection problems plz help

dumpvalve212
09-10-2003, 12:25 AM
hi, i have a normal datacable and a new usb datacable for my 6100, i also have noika pc suite which came with the phone,

the problem is when i load pc suite and click connection settings it says no phone connected, this happens with both of the datacables?

i got a driver with the usb datacable and i have installed it.

i think the problem is that i cannot get the p.c to recognize the usb data cable.

is there any software or a driver that can help me with this? or has anybody else had this problem?

please reply to this thread or my email address [email protected]

thanks in advance

Thanh
09-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi there :)

What did you install first, Nokia's PC Suite or the driver for the DKU-5 cable..? (The USB one).
You absolutely NEED to have that driver installed first! PC Suite won't work with the other data cable. Do this:

Uninstall PC Suite, and make sure it is gone completely. If necessary, manual delete all leftover files/folders. Also uninstall the cable driver.

Then plug in the cable (USB!). The computer should display "found new hardware: USB-serial converter" and ask to install the driver. Insert the CD that came with the cable and install the driver, after which the cable should work as USB-serial converter.

THEN install Nokia's PC Suite, which will automatically use this driver and hence, this cable.
And you should have no more problems getting connected :)

Attention if you have a non-original data cable. Make sure yours is a DKU-5 from Nokia. If it did NOT come with a CD (drivers!), there might be a problem since you need that driver absolutely.

Good luck....
your Thanh

seranp
24-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi there :)

What did you install first, Nokia's PC Suite or the driver for the DKU-5 cable..? (The USB one).
You absolutely NEED to have that driver installed first! PC Suite won't work with the other data cable. Do this:

Uninstall PC Suite, and make sure it is gone completely. If necessary, manual delete all leftover files/folders. Also uninstall the cable driver.

Then plug in the cable (USB!). The computer should display "found new hardware: USB-serial converter" and ask to install the driver. Insert the CD that came with the cable and install the driver, after which the cable should work as USB-serial converter.

THEN install Nokia's PC Suite, which will automatically use this driver and hence, this cable.
And you should have no more problems getting connected :)

Attention if you have a non-original data cable. Make sure yours is a DKU-5 from Nokia. If it did NOT come with a CD (drivers!), there might be a problem since you need that driver absolutely.

Good luck....
your Thanh

Hi,
Recently I got a usb data cable for nokia 6100 but I dont have the right
driver for it, apparntly the DKU5 cable driver (original of nokia) dosen't work with my usb data cable.
Pls. help
Thanks
Eran

Thanh
25-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Hi Eran :)

Could you let me know, which cable is that, and what happens when you install it with Nokia's driver?

As soon as you plug in a USB dervice, the computer comkes up with some message. What does it say? (USB-serial converter..?)

I need to know this first before i can sort it out.

Usually fake DKU-5 cables are compatible with the originals, so they use the same driver, which is now available on Nokia's website for download (it was NOT there before!).

Kind regards.....
your Thanh

seranp
30-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Hi Eran :)

Could you let me know, which cable is that, and what happens when you install it with Nokia's driver?

As soon as you plug in a USB dervice, the computer comkes up with some message. What does it say? (USB-serial converter..?)

I need to know this first before i can sort it out.

Usually fake DKU-5 cables are compatible with the originals, so they use the same driver, which is now available on Nokia's website for download (it was NOT there before!).

Kind regards.....
your Thanh

Hi,
First thank you for your quick answer.
1. The cable is a fake DKU-5 which I purched in Thailand, but I have no driver for it.
2. When I install it with Nokia's driver ( the one which available on Nokia's website ), the computer didn't recognised the usb cable with the phone connect to it. ( I tried to change the usb input but it didnt had any effect ).
3. When I plug in the usb device i get a "New hardware detected..." message.

Best Regards,
Eran

Thanh
01-12-2003, 05:35 AM
Hello :)

Are you in Thailand, or did you just buy the cable here? I am in Thailand!

Now, you got to do the following: Make sure that you have no Nokia PC Suite installed on your computer! If you do, uninstall it and after that, delete also it's folders manually. Make absolutely sure that you are complete rid of it! Also uninstall the Nokia drivers for the DKU-5 cable.

Then shut down the computer, and disconnect the cable.

Boot the computer, and wait untill it is fully booted (idle). Give it a few minutes..... Then connect the cable to any USB port, but ONLY the cable, not the phone!!! That is important!!!

Windows now comes up with a message saying "found new hardware..." and also tells you which kind of hardware that is. And THAT i need to know :)

If it is something like "Serial-USB converter", you can then install Nokia's DKU-5 driver, which is 100% compatible. After you have installed it, reboot the computer. Do NOT disconnect the cable, and also do NOT connect a phone!

After the computer has booted, check via start-settings-control panel-hardware-device manager if there is a device with a yellow question mark. If there is, you have driver trouble. If not, check if there is a device "USB-serial converter" or similar installed and "working properly". If so, continue.

Close the device manager, and install PC Suite. DO NOT CONNECT PHONE!

After installation, again reboot the machine. Start PC suite, and cjheck via it's connection manager if the DKU-5 is detected and used as the standard connection, if not, set it that way. If necessary, set the correct COM port also, you get it via checking the device in the device manager, normally it uses COM 5.

THEN connect the phone, and now it's got to work! If still not, you might have a faulty cable.

Good luck......

your Thanh

seranp
01-12-2003, 02:09 PM

Are you in Thailand, or did you just buy the cable here? I am in Thailand!

Now, you got to do the following: Make sure that you have no Nokia PC Suite installed on your computer! If you do, uninstall it and after that, delete also it's folders manually. Make absolutely sure that you are complete rid of it! Also uninstall the Nokia drivers for the DKU-5 cable.

Then shut down the computer, and disconnect the cable.

Boot the computer, and wait untill it is fully booted (idle). Give it a few minutes..... Then connect the cable to any USB port, but ONLY the cable, not the phone!!! That is important!!!

Windows now comes up with a message saying "found new hardware..." and also tells you which kind of hardware that is. And THAT i need to know :)

If it is something like "Serial-USB converter", you can then install Nokia's DKU-5 driver, which is 100% compatible. After you have installed it, reboot the computer. Do NOT disconnect the cable, and also do NOT connect a phone!

After the computer has booted, check via start-settings-control panel-hardware-device manager if there is a device with a yellow question mark. If there is, you have driver trouble. If not, check if there is a device "USB-serial converter" or similar installed and "working properly". If so, continue.

Close the device manager, and install PC Suite. DO NOT CONNECT PHONE!

After installation, again reboot the machine. Start PC suite, and cjheck via it's connection manager if the DKU-5 is detected and used as the standard connection, if not, set it that way. If necessary, set the correct COM port also, you get it via checking the device in the device manager, normally it uses COM 5.

THEN connect the phone, and now it's got to work! If still not, you might have a faulty cable.

Good luck......

your Thanh

Hi,
First I was in Thailand and i purched the cable,it's nice to know that you living in that amazing country.
Second, when I plug in the usb cable I get a "found usb device..." message, but in no time I get "USB-serial converter..." message,
after installing the DKU-5 driver (according to your instructions) and checking in device manager, I see a yellow question mark on USB device, so is it a faulty cable,
and if it does, can I purched via mail a new cable from Thailand? (I'm living in Israel)?
Thanks & Best Regards

Thanh
02-12-2003, 04:37 AM
Hello again :)

If you get only "USB device" instead of "USB-Serial converter" then you have either a completely incompatible cable (haven't heard of such ones yet!) or a dodgy one.

If you order a cable from here via mail, it will most likely cost you more than when you buy it in Israel... postage costs! But they should be available there, too... a cable whicjh i know is 100% compatible to DKU-5 cost 990 Baht here, which is roughly 24.75 us$.

What you can always do is search the internet (use google) for an eventual driver for the cable you have... it should be available for download on the websites of manufacturers for such cables, or some GSM related websites.

Good luck.....
your Thanh

louloubas
13-01-2004, 07:34 PM
hello i have a nokia 6610 and i buy a dku- 5 datacable i have installed first the driver i reboot i put my cable into my pc and my phone and it's marked "unknow" so what i can do i use xp pro can you help me ????

Thanh
17-01-2004, 04:58 AM

What cable do you have there... is it an ORIGINAL NOKIA DKU-5 or a fake? In the latter case, it may eventually not work with Nokia's driver.

Still, after you have installed the driver (and the actual cable connected too) you can install Nokia PC-Suite, MobiMB or Oxygen and see if these applications can detect the phone as the correct one. Most likely the computer itself (Windows) does not detect the phone "as it is" but just like a "GSM modem" or similar.

Give it a try :)

Kind regards.....
your Thanh

rogerp
17-01-2004, 05:50 AM
Hello again :)

If you get only "USB device" instead of "USB-Serial converter" then you have either a completely incompatible cable (haven't heard of such ones yet!) or a dodgy one.

If you order a cable from here via mail, it will most likely cost you more than when you buy it in Israel... postage costs! But they should be available there, too... a cable whicjh i know is 100% compatible to DKU-5 cost 990 Baht here, which is roughly 24.75 us$.

What you can always do is search the internet (use google) for an eventual driver for the cable you have... it should be available for download on the websites of manufacturers for such cables, or some GSM related websites.

Good luck.....
your Thanh

Hi Thanh

check with you. So it is compulsary to install nokia pc suite for the DKU 5 cable to work? Cos i am using mobiMB instead of the data suite?

Roger

Thanh
17-01-2004, 06:18 AM
Hi Thanh

check with you. So it is compulsary to install nokia pc suite for the DKU 5 cable to work? Cos i am using mobiMB instead of the data suite?

Roger

There is no need to have PC Suite installed to get the cable to work..... i did not know that you have MobiMB already.

So - how does it "react" on the cable? Are you able to transfer stuff to/from the phone? Normally MobiMB will work with just about ANY cable. Please let me know whatr it does :)

Kind regards.....
your Thanh

pabsunited2004
22-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Hello. :D

I have recently bought a nokia 6220.

Imported from United States ( i live in united kingdom )

It came with no Data Cable so i bought one from Ebay. DKU-5.

I have the PC Suite 5.62 i think it is that came with phone. And nokia pc suite 5.1 the dku-5 driver installer (that looks like a fake disk!!) that came with cable.

I am unsure if cable is fake or real!??!

I have tried several times to install the devices. I think now i have manually deleted the PC Suite files that i originally installed first.

Any ideas how i can get this to work correctly.

I dont think my PC detectd the cable (inserted into one of the USB ports) it reads as unknown device

When i install PC SUITE once i have installed the driver as much as i can and cable is in, i get "no phone connected"

please help.

thanks alot in advance.

Dave//

rogerp
23-01-2004, 04:59 AM
hi dave

First of all, when you install the driver for the cable, do not plug it in. if there is no error msg when you are installing it, the sortware part should be okie.

or you can go my computer> properties> hardware> device manager to see anything is wrong or highlighted in yellow.

detecting the cable is not possible, i do not know why, but you can go to CONTROL PANEL> ADD NEW HARDWARE> find this where it say comething like USB to SERIAL convertor cable or sometiing like that, the description should tell you which com port is it.

Then once you know which com port is it, just install the PC suite which came supplied with your phone. Install it, and when they ask which com port is it, just entered what you have found okie. and it should work, if not, there might be something wrong with your cable.

Hope this helps

Roger

rogerp
26-01-2004, 05:52 AM

There is no need to have PC Suite installed to get the cable to work..... i did not know that you have MobiMB already.

So - how does it "react" on the cable? Are you able to transfer stuff to/from the phone? Normally MobiMB will work with just about ANY cable. Please let me know whatr it does :)

Kind regards.....
your Thanh

hi Thanh

You are right, there is no need to have PC suite installed to get the cable to work and MobiMB actually will self detect which USB port is the cable located compare to the nokia data suite where you have to manually find out and input it during the setup. There were no problem encounter with just MobMB installed. I guess MobMB or rather software that the company produced is much more user friendly compare to Nokia's.

Roger Pak :smile:

pabsunited2004
30-01-2004, 01:34 AM
hi dave

First of all, when you install the driver for the cable, do not plug it in. if there is no error msg when you are installing it, the sortware part should be okie.

or you can go my computer> properties> hardware> device manager to see anything is wrong or highlighted in yellow.

detecting the cable is not possible, i do not know why, but you can go to CONTROL PANEL> ADD NEW HARDWARE> find this where it say comething like USB to SERIAL convertor cable or sometiing like that, the description should tell you which com port is it.

Then once you know which com port is it, just install the PC suite which came supplied with your phone. Install it, and when they ask which com port is it, just entered what you have found okie. and it should work, if not, there might be something wrong with your cable.

Hope this helps

Roger

hello.

thanks for the reply.

i can install the driver ok but when i go to install pc suite afterwards and its asks me to select port that phone is connected to i do not know??

it does not find a phone connected but the phone actaully is - "data enhancment connected" message when i connected cable to phone.

i am sure there is nothing wrong with my cable and i think i'm installing it right...

please reply anyone.

thanks in advance

pabsunited2004
31-01-2004, 09:07 PM
hello, could anyone PLEASE help me with this, i have installed my dku-5 driver and pc suite 5.1 and have my cable in.

pc suite DOES detect my phone but when i start an application by example --- copy content from phone to pc it then gives me the message no phone connected?

can anyone please help me

thanks

Paul

rogerp
01-02-2004, 06:40 AM
hello, could anyone PLEASE help me with this, i have installed my dku-5 driver and pc suite 5.1 and have my cable in.

pc suite DOES detect my phone but when i start an application by example --- copy content from phone to pc it then gives me the message no phone connected?

can anyone please help me

thanks

Paul

The answer is above which me and thanh have already answered.

anway,detecting the cable is not possible, i do not know why, but you can go to CONTROL PANEL> ADD NEW HARDWARE> find this where it say comething like USB to SERIAL convertor cable or sometiing like that, the description should tell you which com port is it.

hope this help

Roger

Felix2004
04-02-2004, 05:38 PM
i got a normal cable for my nokia 6610 and when i connect it to my phone, it works for like a few minutes then has trouble writing stuff to the phone when i'm using MobiMB. it will say something communicating with phone but no bar shows up, error saving *.* to the phone or like cut out halfway.
does anyone else have the same problem? or could it be i'm using version 1.2.2